Dec 14

Saving What We Can: Fireplace History

Blog Cabin 2013 Fireplace

Happy Friday! Today project manager Dylan Eastman shares a short but sweet report about the Blog Cabin 2013 chimneys.

“Since we couldn’t salvage the chimneys in the lift (no liners, cracking, leaking, etc.), we saved the ones inscribed “BUILT JULY 1895 BY PAKE” and will try to work them into show how-to projects. ‘Pake’ is a local family name.”

• Posted at 12:36 pm on December 12, 2012

1. I notice that the floorplans/renderings show that no fireplace is planned. I agree with many of the bloggers — a fireplace would be nice — to include reusing one of the mantles. (Outside fire pit would also be nice)

If no fireplace is done, will the mantles be reused in the house? (They have character.)

Will any of the outbuildings (potato house, outhouse, chicken shed, oyster shed) be saved (such as for equipment storage) or, at the least, any of the materials from them reused in the new house?

adele on January 8, 2013 at 9:31 am
    • The only outbuildings we had were an old chicken coop and the garage. The garage was mostly destroyed by Hurricane Isabel, so they tore that down first. They also got rid of the chicken coop before they even raised the house. I don't remember seeing any coop-scraps anywhere, unfortunately.

Alicia9981 on January 8, 2013 at 9:43 am
  2. Finding these treasures is always so special! Glad to see Dylan and crew love these discoveries too.

Laurie_March on January 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm
  3. history buff from south carolina. Love the idea of using the older coastal home and the trees in area still on the lot.

Angi on January 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm
  4. SAVING WHAT WE CAN!!!

I hope that all of the furnishings are being saved!!!!! In looking at all of the 99 pictures that you took, I have to say that I LOVE the furnishings!!! You can tell that things are brand new and others could be centuries old. PLEASE reuse these items in the house and DON'T throw anything away. I LOVE the collected look and so do so many others. If you can't use it sell it and if your going to give things away I'll take them. You can't find alot of the collected treasures that are in this house. Please, think twice before you through anything away!!!!

Aerie317 on January 16, 2013 at 1:50 am
  5. hello,my friend,how are you

Air Max 90 White White on January 27, 2013 at 4:04 am
  6. I'm sorry you had to reframe but do understand the safety issues. Please save as many of the original pieces of furniture that is stable as possible…maybe that will help with the history and preservation. I sometimes like the "old" and new together anyway. Can't wait to start entering the contest. When does that start.

Leone on February 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm