Dec 14

Saving What We Can: Fireplace History

Blog Cabin 2013 Fireplace

Happy Friday! Today project manager Dylan Eastman shares a short but sweet report about the Blog Cabin 2013 chimneys.

“Since we couldn’t salvage the chimneys in the lift (no liners, cracking, leaking, etc.), we saved the ones inscribed “BUILT JULY 1895 BY PAKE” and will try to work them into show how-to projects. ‘Pake’ is a local family name.”

• Posted at 12:36 pm on December 12, 2012

1. just joined blog this evening. Am huge DIY & HGTV fan, but amfascinated by being able to see, read & b e involved in this project from the ground up.I like knowing that MY ideas are actually encouraged, read & valued, as well as all the other bloggers. Am very impressed with all that is being done thus far & humbled by the amount of work being under taken.I would really like to see an updated version that maintains the "integrity" of the original charm of the cottage. Some of the antique furnishings & decorative items should, in my opinion be used in this fashion.I noticed one table or side board that I thought would make a wonderful vanity, especially when paired with a clawfoot tub. I look forward to watching every one's vcisions take form & hope that I can make some helpful contributions. Of course, I believe that by seeing some of my recommendations being, will only make me want to win it even more ( but then is that not true for all of us?). anyway, hello to all & am looking forward to this endevour!!

Sheri1016 on December 31, 2012 at 2:10 am
  2. I hope there are a lot of things from this old house that you keep. Like the water pump out on the lawn. Painted back a bright red would be a wonderful yard decoration. I love to have things from the past because it brings back so many sweet memories.

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:13 am
  3. I hope when you rebuild the fireplace, that you keep the integrity of the original cabin and make it wood burning. A gas fireplace would not have been the thing in 1892, plus it smells great when you burn real wood.

Kate on January 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm
  4. I know you guys will do the best you can to save or incorporate everything you can to help save the history of the beautiful historic home. I would actually love to be sitting by a nice warm fire right now on a couch with a cup of hot tea and a good book. I think I would feel so relaxed in this old home because I know you will have a lot of old type furnishings and it would have the feel of being at home with Granny like back in the olden days. I know I am dreaming but that's all I can do. I can't afford to buy anything especially I home like this, so I do a lot of dreaming <3.

Rebecca on January 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm
  5. I am sure the fireplace will stay. I think the DIY network teams are trying to keep the home as close to what it was before. What is damaged they replace and what they can save they will save. This old home has a fireplace and I think it is gonna stay. You know as well as I do in the winter time a fireplace really saves on the electric bill. Plus where would we hang our stockings at Christmas????? lo :p

Rebecca on January 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm
  6. All this beautiful old and new being joined together by these wonderful and talented people will have us all on the edge of our seats till the blessed winner is announced. I can hardly wait! But I will try. I know it's really unreasonable to expect to ever win something like this oh but we dreamers dream and pray a prayer or two knowing what wonderful people who Show each of us how much they love there work and we Thank you for that. Please keep on doing what you all do, and we promise to keep on watching and waiting. Knowing the best is yet to come.And yes please put in a wood burning fireplace.

Trish on January 5, 2013 at 4:54 am
  7. I agree Trish! It is amazing that someone will be given this amazing gift. I get very excited just voting and having the opportunity to give my opinion. It is a lot of fun to be involved in the entire project from beginning to end. All I know is who ever does get this home is truly blessed!

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm
  8. It is a great find. Is really good to preserve it.

Rosalia Colon on January 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm
  9. This place really would not be the same without wood burning fireplace(s)! How nice and warm during the winters! One on each side of the house! Or one in the kitchen, at shelf level instead of on the floor, to really enjoy it.

Paula on January 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm
  10. This home is so beautiful and the fact that it is so old and has so much history with it is so interresting. Usually not much is known about the family or families that have owned the home prior. This one seems to have been handed down through the family makes it even more special. I love the fact that you are keeping the bricks that were found and I am even more interested as to where they will end up in the project. I love it. Incorporating the bricks is so special.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:11 am