Dec 14

Saving What We Can: Fireplace History

Blog Cabin 2013 Fireplace

Happy Friday! Today project manager Dylan Eastman shares a short but sweet report about the Blog Cabin 2013 chimneys.

“Since we couldn’t salvage the chimneys in the lift (no liners, cracking, leaking, etc.), we saved the ones inscribed “BUILT JULY 1895 BY PAKE” and will try to work them into show how-to projects. ‘Pake’ is a local family name.”

• Posted at 12:36 pm on December 12, 2012

1. When will you show the new design layout? I am so excited I can not stop looking at this house daily. It is so beautiful and amazing to be able to watch everything being done. It would be nice if you can some how incorporated these bricks with the date built somehow in a yard decorations with a renovation date on it also. This is AWESOME! I love the DIY shows.

Rebecca on December 17, 2012 at 11:37 am
  2. This is really a wonderful opportunity to learn about the issues in attempting to refurbish older homes. It isn't easy and it isn't cheap! It is very good that DIY is sharing the information (the good, the bad,and the ugly) and revealing the obstacles in a renovation of vintage properties. There are so many lessons we all can learn and benefit from during this reconstruction. Please give us all the bad news and how you might've anticipated those unfortunate problems. Please if you are able, share the reasoning and cost benefit decisions you make along the way. This is where the real learning occurs for your viewers. Most of us do not have deep pockets or the budget DIY has. No sponsors provide needed supplies. We need to comprehend the point at which the decision is made to reno or replace. Where is the break point ?Do not be afraid to share your regrettable mistakes, wrong choices or expensive redo's. What would you have done differently. Please be honest!!!!

Ashtabulannie on December 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    • That is an excellent idea and I second the motion!

grammagail on December 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm
    • grammagail, would love to be the fly on the wall when they opened up some of the walls and saw what they saw. That OH ! C#@P moment! I live in an old home (but not that old) and am totally familiar when you attempt to do some "simple" repair or replacement. I could benefit from their experiences. We are almost at the point of having to decide if we should: Move, Tear down or replace. We have electrical wiring issues, ready to burst radiator heating pipes, and some dry rot wood floors. It never ends with repairs. Example, we need a new hot water heater. BUT… it is no longer possible to simply replace our gas hot water heater and have it vent thru the old chimney. GEEZE!! OH! C#@P what WAS a $500.00 job just morphed into a $1,000. I totally empathize with the DIY team and feel their pain, for sure!!! Old homes may be interesting but……?

Ashtabulannie on December 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm
    • Know what you mean! We live in a house built somewhere between 1820 and 1840. They think the basic house came from just one of the giant pines that used to grow here. You know, the ones they came to Maine to harvest for ships masts. The outside sheathing on the first story is boards about 20 inches wide and two inches thick. The second story they drop to 18-19 inches wide but still two inches thick. When we are in the house during a storm we cannot even hear the wind and I have to look out a window to see if it is still storming. But the results of decade upon decade renovations by new owners means it is a hodgepodge patchwork of every system in the house. Tearing down this historical treasure, despite roof rafters so far apart they only dream of 16" on center, is not an option in my mind. The amazing thing is the roof lines are straight and the pegged timbers just as sturdy as the day they went in. Just don't mention the electrical or plumbing (neither of which existed when this gem was built) retrofits. And the barn floor sags so they decided to shore it up with a cable strung from one side to the other! Dry rot is a part of living here but I think it will be us that rot first with the house still standing in its glory. We replaced the furnace and went to a direct vent gas because of the chimney venting problem.
      I wonder if HGTV or DIY would ever consider a true restoration project. It is something they have never done!

grammagail on December 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    • Wow totally fascinating story!!! It seems it is always about the plumbing and electrical. Electrical fires in our neighborhood are increasingly causing major concerns in our like built 1920's/30's homes. Our neighbor is going to have to spend their Xmas holiday in a hotel due to a fire caused by old electrical wiring- shorting out after deteriorating insulation issues.. Our insurance rates are increasing. Thank goodness everyone got out safely before smoke overtook them. DIY could really help to educate others regarding living in OLD homes, what to anticipate in repair costs, and how to bring homes up to current code and generate cost figures. (guess those figures would have to be tied to a particular location). this type of information/education would really provide meaningful information for potential home buyers , fixer-uppers. HA! that would be a different program-This Old House, been there done that. Love to learn more about your old home. Thanks so very much for sharing!!! Luv it!!! Too bad DIY staff doesn't contact you to photo examples and suggest preventive strategies.

Ashtabulannie on December 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm
    • Our home was built in the Maine wilderness and has windows over the front door that are actually floor level on the second story behind the stair railing. There is floor space there so they could lie and guard against Indian attacks. The incorporation papers for the Methodist Camp Meeting Group who founded the campground were signed in our living room and the occasion preserved in the State Legislative record. it was the parsonage for the Methodist church for almost 60 years. There was a blacksmith who owned it and a Hostler which lends credence to the legend that it was a stagecoach stop.
      Enough about our place! I am interested in Blog cabin 2013 for a break from the winter and a chance to visit the kids in Cary and Lexington Park, MD. The start of work is exciting!

grammagail on December 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm
    • And Third!:D

SID on December 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm
  3. For those interested in history here is a brief one of Hunting Quarters (Atlantic, Stacy, etc) http://www.downeasttour.com/atlantic/brief-histor

grammagail on December 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm
    • grammagail, Thank you for posting this link. The article is interesting and sheds some light n the history of Atlantic.<3

bythebaydreamer on December 18, 2012 at 1:41 am
  4. LOVE that you are keeping the fireplace noted above! History has an important place. So glad it will still be in this home!

Debra G. on December 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm
    • You made me think they were going to keep the fireplace Debra! I had to go back and read the caption and look at the pictures again. It looks to me like the fireplace is gone, but some of the bricks will be reused elsewhere.

EdinOregon on December 19, 2012 at 4:42 am
    • Noooo! I thought hey were keeping it! :(

Debra G. on December 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm
  5. Incorporating some going green and solar energy would be amazing with this home. I think every newly remodeled or new home should have green products and some type of solar energy incorporated within it. You guys are awesome!!!!!

Rebecca on December 18, 2012 at 8:30 am
  6. Yeah…New Thread Bloggers!!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm
  7. I'm so sad to hear about the chimney! … but I can't say I'm surprised :/ As kids who didn't know any better, my brother and I used to take seashells and scrape away at some of the bricks. They were so old, the bricks were just dust by then.

Alicia9981 on December 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm
    • Continuing to appreciate and enjoy your posts and history, Alicia! Thank you so much!!! This has to be heart-wrenching in many ways for you… stay safe, as you are far away from home and be blessed during this Christmas Season! Happy New Year Too!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm
    • Thanks! It is definitely bittersweet to see all of this. It's still really great to hear so many people still want to keep it's old charm and not make it too modern. I did have a great Christmas; though I was very very far from home, one of my best friends from college teaches out here in Korea as well and I had a chance to spend the whole week with her. A little piece of home away from home :) Hope you've had a great holiday season, too!!

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 10:05 am
    • Thank you, Alicia! My Christmas Season was quiet, peaceful and reflective, as I was facing a very serious personal battle with metastatic cancer of pancreas and other type stuff. I posted on a newer thread, the joy of discovery that I have been totally healed of it all–just found out on Friday, when hubby and I went to doc to get staging, surgery plans, results of latest exact mets location tests etc. If you have FaceBook you can read more about it on my page at Kitty.Charles.Zaugg@facebook.com. So I'm ecstatic. If you haven't had time to get to updates on your dear old Atlantic, NC, Home-please prepare yourself, Alicia, for yesterday, the last of the outside walls had to come down, I'm sorry to say. We don't know why or what they found yet–but I cried and posted an homage to Dobbie's Cove. There had to have been something important to cause such a decision, for they spent the time and money to elevate and carefully demolish, wall by wall, room by room, so I think this wasn't the original DIY plan and I fully believe they will do everything possible to incorporate your Robinson ancestry family memories into the new BC. All the best to you and yours, Alicia!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm
  8. That was something seeing build in 1895,the way DIY tries to save parts of the house'and put it somewere else.You, will do it justice.The crew always surprise's me ,in what they come up with always out doing them -sleves.Looking forward in whatever you do.

Patricia Aronson on December 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm
  9. The red brick foundation looks great! It looks like they are making headway in the start of transforming the cottage into a beautiful home. Even with the chimney gone I am hoping for a fireplace and a wrap around porch with windows all around to behold the beauty of the sunrise and sunsets. This one is goint to be amazing I am sure. :-) I am hoping that the interior decor will have more functional pieces and only a couple of conversation pieces to accent the atmosphere within the house. I remember seeing the blue shutters with a painted sail boat which would be lovely, giving a nautical feel, while still leaving a bit of history of the cottage. I was surprised to see that they still have some frames on the interior walls, I thought they had removed everything inside before lifting it up. I was also wondering how much further out did they extend the cottage to extend the room. It looks like they may have extended out, however it's hard to tell with from the cam.

Heading South on December 21, 2012 at 10:19 am