Dec 14

Saving What We Can: Fireplace History

Blog Cabin 2013 Fireplace

Happy Friday! Today project manager Dylan Eastman shares a short but sweet report about the Blog Cabin 2013 chimneys.

“Since we couldn’t salvage the chimneys in the lift (no liners, cracking, leaking, etc.), we saved the ones inscribed “BUILT JULY 1895 BY PAKE” and will try to work them into show how-to projects. ‘Pake’ is a local family name.”

• Posted at 12:36 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Thank you DIY, and Dylan Eastman for the post. I am so glad that you are trying to save as much of the history of this cabin as possible. Many years ago my husband and I were restoring an old PA farmhouse. and when removing old wallpaper we found underneath a message and date from 1872 and also writing " 37 inches of snow, drifts to the 2nd story windows". We felt an immediate warm connection and bond with the people who were there so long before us.

This site is a precious resource for peaceful dreaming, and a harbor for friends to connect in happy times and sad. Your header "Saving What We Can" turned out to be prophetic. Events of the past 24 hours remind us that we can't always save or prevent some of the very saddest events, but that doesn't absolve us from the responsibility to try our best. Aside from prayers, it is a heartbreaking that there seems so little we can do at times. Perhaps your caption "Saving What We Can" provides some answer. I believe that yesterday we reached a point of violence far beyond what we should ever accept as a society. I urge you, friends, contact your representative and tell him/her that they need to put aside the politics and stop the slide into violence and murder in this country. We owe our children this – "Saving What We Can."

SID on December 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm
    • How would you propose that they stop the slide into violence? I believe that there is more at work in some of these "random mass murders" than we are being told. I have a lot more to say, but it is inappropriate for this blog. I would like very much to discuss ideas with you. Click on my nickname and you can get to my Facebook from my profile.

YankeeNuke on December 16, 2012 at 3:20 am
  2. Thanks DIY for the update. It's always good to get new info. :0
    I have faith that all that can be saved in this BC will be. Maybe the bricks of those chimneys can be used somewhere else in the house. We will be lQQking for them soon. Dylan, I know you are way ahead of me on this thinking……..and you've got something great planned.

traveler4lyfe on December 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm
  3. I love hearing the history about the house as you move along. I can not believe these bricks were uncovered after all these years. Including the bricks in the remodel is so cool! There is nothing better than knowing the history of a home that was built in the 1800's! I tell you this house really makes me think of my Granny! I loved her so much and it brings back so many happy memories.

Rebecca on December 16, 2012 at 2:33 am
  4. It's always fascinating to find links to the past, and finding this inscription by the Blog Cabin chimneys' builder offers us a look back into local family history.

While older census and historical records were poorly kept or often destroyed in fires, a quick search of the 1860 Federal Census records for Carteret County, NC shows a W. T. Pake, age 47 and wife Silvania Pake, age 45, and children: John, 18; Silvania, 15; Hetty, 13; Jorden, 10 and Lowrena, 8.

Perhaps it was Jorden Pake, age 45 in 1895 who built this chimney. Or possibly Benjamin Pake from Morehead City, Carteret County, born in 1865 and who would have been about 30 years old at the time the chimneys were built. There were also numerous members of the Pake family name living in Smyrna, NC in the 1880 Federal Census, and that would have been 19 miles south from Atlantic by land or by sea.

What other historical tidbits of information will our Blog Cabin reveal before the renovation is complete? More importantly to Dylan Eastman and his crew, what other surprises lurk within the old home?

DBCoop on December 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Great history to speculate upon! Thanks, Coop!:)B)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 16, 2012 at 11:14 pm
  5. I'm happy they are preserving such a unique discovery! I really hope they put in at least one (indoor) wood-burning fireplace. There is something magical about gazing at a warm, crackling fire from the comfort of your favorite chair. :)

Danielle on December 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm
  6. Will be interesting to see how the reclaimed brick is used… What about using it for an outdoor firepit, patio , or walkways?

Mimitheminer on December 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm
    • I know I have been wondering where they will incorporate the bricks as well. Where ever they do I am sure it will be just perfect. I am in awwww of what the DIY teams can do.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 11:58 pm
  7. Thanks, DBCoop, for the historical update on Pakes at the time of the original build. Really adds interesting color!

cadconnie on December 16, 2012 at 5:48 pm
  8. Looks like they are prepping the area for the new footers and foundation. I wonder how deep they will have to go for the footers? This is surely a sign of progress and should mean that the revised floor plans will be ready soon. I guess with all of the issues that Mr. Eastman found there will once again be significant work on the structure after the demo and before the actual renovations get started.

YankeeNuke on December 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm
  9. As I said before that surround is mine if you don't use it.

Nebraska on December 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm
  10. Looks like there is some activity going on at the cabin today. A red truck, and a piece of equipment. big pile of red bricks, and 4 workers.

vicki_in_Utah on December 17, 2012 at 9:00 am
    • I'm not sure if they are workers or just supervisors, they all seem to be walking around talking on their cells phones – at least we know there is cell phone reception in the area!;)

Windsmurf on December 18, 2012 at 11:08 am