Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. I can not wait to watch it on the DIY network to see how you reconstruct it. I think it will be cool.

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:15 am
  2. This reno is going to be great! No Asbestos is a plus as is the fireplace findings. I'm waiting for more but I'm sure all the problems found will be resolved and the cabin will be in the best hands to renovate and revive! I'm so impressed with the place so far I'm thinking southern shores won't be too hot! LOL I hate the South and live there in the South.

minitoni on January 1, 2013 at 11:50 am
  3. I have every faith in the DIY teams! I know at least this remodel will be done right and up to code! You guys are amazing. Stay safe! B)

Rebecca on January 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm
  4. I can't help but look and blog everyday. This has actually given me something to look and think about everyday that isn't depressing. :) Who ever lived there before must have loved it. Just to sit on the porch and swing and look out at the water. So beautiful is all I can say. :*

Rebecca on January 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm
  5. With Chris Grundy in charge he will make the old look new. I watch DIY every day for 8 years and this year I saw the beautiful job they did on the 2012 DIY Giveaway. The view of the ocean is beautiful, and I'm sure the sunset is too, just the privacy alone will be great. I'm anxious put in my vote and watch the bloggers votes as well. I visited New Bern a few years ago and the people were really nice so if I win this it will be a great place to live.

PeaPod on January 4, 2013 at 2:19 am
    • Oh the DIY network is my favorite channel. You can learn so many things from these programs. It is amazing what you can do without having to hire a contractor. I love it!

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm
  6. oh but that looks creepy to me.

wood flooring nj on September 16, 2013 at 9:46 am