Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. 2×5 inch joists 30/40 on center? Heck sheds are built better here!

Nebraska on December 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm
    • Hi, Nebraska!!! I haven't been around much, but I've missed seeing you, if you've posted too! Now who is/are this adorable little rusty fur ball with white snow ball Avatar you have posted?? And YES, sheds are better built than that. Did you catch that Alicia, one of the former NC cottage residents made comments about how the cabin was "held" together? Pretty amazing it still stands at all!

How are you feeling? I think of you often. My med tests aren't so good. I'm in God's Hands…. But I am so HAPPY to see you post! :) ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I haven't been around much either. I've been thinking of you and praying for you. Now I see here that your med tests aren't good. I'm concerned for you. I'm aware of some of your health conditions based on what you've shared on the Blog. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I have several other autoimmune arthritis diseases too. So I empathize with you and so many others who share our pain and struggles. It's so important to me that DIY remodel these annual cabins to accomodate people who have disabilities. I'll continue to be a prayer warrior for you. Keep posting as you can and keep us updated on how you're doing. :) ~Sue (from Vernon Hills, Il)

Peacefurpets on December 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    • Thank you, Sue! I want you to know that I have FELT your and everyone's PRAYERS! Without them, I know that my/Our Lord would still be here and hearing my heart, but WITH THEM–OH, THE POWER of HIS NAME! :) And He IS in Control! I've just been advised that I'm facing a major physical battle, diagnostically. holding onto Him for Direction, courage, strength, witness and to bring Honor to His Will. Next week, I HAVE 98 HR. WHOLE BODY octreatide SCANS, TO LOCATE TYPES WHERE, how many, and which are malignant. tumors. I feel so much peace, yet O don't know what the future holds. I am grateful for the encouraging prayers or my many DIY BLOG Friends I shall probably have major surgery soon, but I' do mu best to keep you posted. God bless and keep you each and know that you are all very special!!! Love Kitty^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 12:51 am
    • Count me as one who is praying for you Kitty. You have added so much to the blogs, I want you around for a Long time! ;)
      ,Ed

EdinOregon on December 10, 2012 at 2:48 am
    • I really appreciate that, Ed! Many Blessings to you!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 11:12 pm
    • <3 <3 <3 <3

LLColeman on December 10, 2012 at 4:36 am
    • xD<3<3<3<3^_^ Super Friend! Muchas Gracias! Muito Obrigada! Katia / Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm
    • Kitty, thinking good thoughts for you here. Take strenghth from everyone wishing you well.

Windsmurf on December 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    • strength…forgot how to type…sorry

Windsmurf on December 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    • Thanks form your kind, encouragement, Windsmurf!xD<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm
    • for your kind

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm
    • Kitty, I am keeping you and your family in my prayers. You are wiser than your years, and have always been caring and compassionate to fellow bloggers. I have enjoyed reading and receiving your posts. Whatever health issues you are facing, feel comforted that you are not alone. God Bless you. Becky<3

bythebaydreamer on December 11, 2012 at 1:59 am
    • my prayers are also with you Kitty, God Bless you!

sandy on December 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm
    • You are so Special to share that with me, Sandy! And my life is in the Hand of the Greatest Healer! :) Prayer .changes things, I believe. Have a great Evening!;):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm
    • Dear Kitty, I am very concerned about you and care so much for you. You are a joy to this Blog and full of Wisdom, Kindness and a True Blogging Friend. I say a prayer for you everyday, praying that you will get better and your doctors will have the cure for your illness..Please stay strong, you are in Good Hands…Lots of Hugs, Jennie

Jennie/Florida on December 11, 2012 at 1:22 am
    • Dearest Jennie! You and I have been building upon such a great cyber friendship for a good couple of years now–and I cherish it! We have laughed, cried, prayed for one another, been through each other's coastal storms, then gotten the willies over the snakes that surfaced afterwards…and stuff like that. What a fun, very wise, awesomely creative, green thumbed, and a great sentinel for new DIY Threads on top of every ting else too.;):pB) Thanks for being my friend–and for your faithful prayers! Lovingly always, <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 11, 2012 at 11:08 pm
    • Yikes! I just re-read the dreadful deterioration of my typing in my post just above… Sorry folks! Hope you understood what I was trying to say. I think I was typing in the dark, so as to not disturb my Hubby. Ooops! I normally spell OK. Thank you again–EACH one of you for your thoughts and prayers and kind wishes concerning my illness, I cannot say this enough!!! This Blog is so special, as are each one of you! I also pray for the Blog–we all have lives and needs and families! The Blog Cabin is a wonderful respite, a Dream, an Escape, an Exercise in Creativity for us All; we become sort of a Family over time here. I know of Bloggies long needing employment, esp. commensurate with their capabilities; then there are caregivers, including me, and I know of several others–many of us particularly concerned about accessibility issues; there are Bloggies who have successfully fought or are fighting diseases–we all have something which our hearts guard carefully. What I am trying to say is–Everyone is IMPORTANT and SPECIAL on this blog! :) I still hold the deep hope that a diehard Bloggie will win the Blog Cabin and really thought one would get the Maine one, but it was not to be. NC it's YOUR TURN!!! I don't expect it will be I, this time, but I'll be rootin' for y'all till DIY makes their announcement. Good Luck ALL! :) Love and thanks! Kitty<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm
    • Sending you strength, love, thoughts and many, many BIG hugs, Kitty. -Dottie<3;)

Dghawk4 on December 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    • Oooo, Dottie! That is so SWEET, Neighbor!!! Thank you so much for all those thoughts, strength, love and those big hugs! I'll take 'em all, if I can share them back at you, because you are special and I really enjoy your friendship so much too! All the best always, Kitty xD<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    • Kitty
      Prayer in numbers is always good and God hears all prayer. You have alot of people who love and care for you. We all wish you the very best in this challenge ahead of you. I wish you did not have this to endure but God will get you through, with His strength:) I add my hugs and prayers to the rest<3

ruffybc on December 13, 2012 at 10:05 am
    • Thank you so much, Ruffy! :D We can ALL use prayer. PRAYER CHANGES THINGS! ? I just Love having You for a friend on the Blog, Ruffy–we've had loads of fun together this past year++!!! I hope To Keep close and be able to blog during treatment, whatever that might be. Will know more within a week or two.
      Do you have snow now in your part of NY State? Virginia's had a very pretty Fall, later than yours, leaves still coming down, but frost's on it's way. I have a beautiful view outside my master BR bay window, so when I'm not feeling so strong to be up and at 'em, I am privileged to have vision to see beautiful nature–often a small herd–maybe a doe with her twin fawns, my neighbors running along a jogging trail (with their dog many times along :) ) that meanders by a brook about a thousand feet away; the joys of a simple life, the birds I love to feed, the hawks–even an occasional eagle!!! In my back yard, some shrub or tree blooms every season of year! I always have natural flowers! What more can a home need? A family to love it? I pray that a Bloggie will win the Atlantic, NC, Blog Cabin, love and be able to keep it–and make memories for a lifetime there! maybe even you, Ruffy! :D Love you Loads Friend!:*^_^<3<3 Christmas Blessings to you and All! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm
    • Kitty
      My heart aches for what you are going through but it also leaps with joy for the good you see in people, nature, the world, the list goes on. It has come quite apparent through your blogs what a very special and talented person you are:) You have added such depth and perspectives to this blog. I just viewed the link to "The Bible" and now my floodgates are open:)<3 You just never know where God will appear-who knew! it would be the Blog Cabin Blog? It lifts my heart in this world to see so many people on this blog alone who have responded to your blogs:) You do have a prayer team here for you. God Bless you and be strong through Him.<3<3<3

ruffybc on December 14, 2012 at 9:39 am
    • Not well- no fulltests yet- seeing doctor tomorrow. Haven't gained any weight- can't eat.

Nebraska on December 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm
    • Oh, dear, Charlotte! I have been concerned for you! When I don't see you online for a while, I really get worried, especially since your fall. I'm not on as much lately either and it is due to illness. Seems you and I are maybe going to be fighting something–well, maybe there's something good in fighting together. You see doc tomorrow? Please let me know, so I can pray wisely and specifically for you. You're such a wisp of a petite thing! I'm not eating much, but not losing weight–wondering about ascites, since I have gastrinoma with pos. mets esp due to MEN-I. Start octreotide CAT scan studies Wed.-Sat. for ID, quantity, locations,and where possible staging. I suppose I shall know soon about that . But please as you are able, let me know. My email, for more privacy ( I'll check & dig out of spaminator box) is pathcorp@earthlink.net. I am very concerned for you! <3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm
  2. While my wish is that everyone has a prosperous and healthy New Year, Blog Cabin fans will get an extra helping of joy and good cheer, compliments of DIY, when the People's Choice voting starts on January 3, 2013. It's always a fun and busy time on the blog when folks from across the country get to vote on design features for various rooms of the house, and even have their say about possible floor plan changes.

Like most Blog Cabin fans, I can't wait to see what exciting choices we'll be making and what opportunities we'll have to put our collective personal stamp on this coastal beauty.

DBCoop on December 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    • Me, too!!! Is it January 3rd yet??xD

Dghawk4 on December 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    • I'm in line too!Can't wait! Let the fun begin!:p;)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm
  3. Glad you are back, Windsmurf !

LLColeman on December 11, 2012 at 5:25 am
  4. I'm new to the blog…and don't get the DIY channel, but I love seeing what can be done with the know how and the funds! Hope, hope the wonderful old mantel and other items are used in the "new" house…I would love to win the house! We fell in love with the Inner and Outer Banks about 5 years ago and I would love to spend the rest of my life there.

Susan Freeman Smith on December 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  5. When are we going to get startsd

Danirl Mantegna on December 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm
  6. My goodness Dylan and Mary. Those joists are one of the first hiccups in the project. Renovating those old homes, plenty more problems will come. I'm sure.

traveler4lyfe on December 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm
  7. I'm new to blog as well and this is cool watching the renovation step by step. I hope they keep those cool trunks that were in the bedroom. As a matter of fact the previous owners had great taste in almost all of the funiture in the house.

Bob_Z_NJ on December 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm
    • Have fun on this blog, Bob_Z….it is a great community of people. The furniture and the charm of the house were very exceptional. We are lucky to have occasional blogging input of a couple of people who grew up staying in the house.
      I was born in NJ and I still miss it.

LLColeman on December 12, 2012 at 4:46 am
  8. Glad to hear no asbestos. When you reframe the second floor 1 foot higher will you also make the second floor walls taller or will you just reduce the area available for full height living space? I would be interested in how you will modify the existing walls to support moving the joists up. Thanks.

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 3:24 am
    • Hi Frank–I hope you and yours have not been affected by any of the recent storms…Jennie mentioned some in FLA just these past few days. Happy Holidays to you. :)

LLColeman on December 12, 2012 at 4:41 am
    • We have been lucky and have mostlyrecieved rain that we need. Thank you for thinking of us. <DIV> <DIV id=SkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.comTo: frankrh77@live.comSubject: LLColeman replied to your comment on The Truth About the Second Floor

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm
  9. Happy 12/12/12 bloggers. I was hoping for a new thread today, maybe later. I keep checking the cabin cam, they should start pouring the new fondation soon. I wonder if they are going to face it with brick like they did the VA BC? That turned out very nice.

vicki_in_Utah on December 12, 2012 at 8:26 am
    • My hunch is the foundation will begin after the first of the year. That's also when we start voting and I can't wait! Could the foundation facing be part of the voting?

grammagail on December 12, 2012 at 10:46 am
    • That would be nice grammagail, if we could vote on the facing.

vicki_in_Utah on December 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    • Happy 12/12/12 to you too Vicki,
      to day my niece is getting married or should be now. She wanted a day to remember and 12/12/12 don't come around a lot, so she made the time for wedding at 12:12 too. I wonder if she made it on time for the 12:12 time, she always running late. It's in FL. so I didn't get to see it, being that I am still here in Maine :-) I hope all goes well for her and will be a day she'll always want to remember.

home_girl on December 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm
    • Well your niece is not the only one getting married today..LOL.. that is the reason I have not been on much, this week or last, I have made more wedding cakes for 121212 then for Valtines day.LOL.. Our big walk in freg was full. Most of them have been picked up this morning. So I am trying to catch up on the blog. I can't wait to start voitng. How is the weather in Maine home_girl? we are finaly going to get snow Thursday and Friday. Glad it waited untill all the weddings are done.

vicki_in_Utah on December 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    • That's what I thought too, I wonder just how many people did pick that day for a wedding? I am glad you was able to fill all those orders and get them all out before the snow started flying. ;)
      The weather here been good, warm some days and freezing others, lakes and ponds not sure if they should freeze over or wait for spring. :-)
      I am waiting for the snow to come and stay for a while, don't need a lot just enough to cover up the ground and make it seem like Christmas or winter here.
      Still waiting to see if the winners (Turner family) of the 2012 BC is going to visit the house at all this year, or just planning on selling it in Jan. I wish I had the money to buy it, sure wouldn't mind calling it my home. ^_^
      I wish you a very Merry Christmas this year to you and all the other Bloggers on here. :)

home_girl on December 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm
    • Anothah Mainah???
      Batten down the hatches, we are due to get it next week! it will be nice to take a digital jaunt to NC while the snow flies! Congrats to your niece.

grammagail on December 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm
    • Hi Rhonda! sorry I haven't written any emails for a while and I'm trying to pick up where I can on the blog. I think of you a lot! Haven't forgotten. :) Interesting about the date, 12/12/12: My niece gave birth to her 1sr child, yesterday. My grandnephew, Landon, was born yesterday–and so life goes on… :) Love and Christmas Blessings to you and All! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm
    • Kitty that's so special a day to remember for him. Congratulations!
      Merry Christmas to you too. Glad to see you back out here from time to time. Did you get last picture I send you of my aunt that you remind me of? When I saw you with money tree that all I could think was how much you looked like her :)
      Carole hasn't said anything yet so guess the Turners still haven't visited the house (BC) yet, maybe closer to Christmas. Hear we are suppose to get a nice snow storm for next week, that's when my mother is coming back from FL. Hope all well by Wed. the day she lands.

home_girl on December 14, 2012 at 12:16 am
  10. Happy Aaron Rodgers Day everyone. xD

Clive on December 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm
    • Clive you must be a Pakers fan. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on December 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm
    • I had to sign a pledge to the Packers to be allowed to live in WI. ;)

We Tundra dwellers have the Packers & Blog Cabin to entertain us from October to February (or as we say (January II)? :D

No playoffs and no floor pans make for a bleak winter to be sure. :(

Clive on December 12, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    • Yes, Happy Aaron Rodger Day to you too! Go Pack!

peachdoc on December 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm