Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. Wow, old joists measuring anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center — and then spanning 12 feet!

Whew, it's so true what they say about older home renovations: you never know what you're going to find, and in the case of our Blog Cabin, when it rains, it's floors!

DBCoop on December 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • Isn't THAT the truth, Coop?! :)

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm
  2. I see good wood :)
    Ready! Ready Ready Ready :)

Michele Bernier on December 7, 2012 at 6:57 pm
  3. I love this place "as is"! Go ahead and fix the major problems, put in central heat & air, and repair the dock, but otherwise leave it alone, please. I really liked last year's house too, before you renovated. Don't take away all of the charm of this little house by ditching the antiques, the weathered walls, and the "squeaks"! And, keep the rustic, tangled drive. Don't turn a lovely beach cottage into an ugly modern eyesore(like last year's) . Some of actually appreciate keeping the history evident.

Laurie Shea on December 8, 2012 at 10:22 am
    • Hear, hear ! No stainless anything this time…nothing "sleek " or "slick" ;)

LLColeman on December 10, 2012 at 4:33 am
    • Now that's what I'm talking about!!! No sleek, slick stainless, contempo-chic! Puleeze, take her beachy, classic, don't destroy the value and character of the antiques by cutting them up and painting them! Thanks!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    • One problem is that these old houses don't meet current code, which many places require that you upgrade to when you do a major re-build. You have fix all the mistakes of history. Having said that, I agree that keeping the cabin as much as possible as a beach cottage with new guts is the more desirable outcome. For instance it looks as though they didn't add much structure to the ceiling frame when they added the second floor. Another issue is that most people don't want to go back to say coppertone appliances either. Maybe all white. No wooden ice box either. The dilemma then is how to keep it cozy cabin and still have modern conveniences and sustainable decor. As with any work that requires engineering and matching things together compromise is the only way. The other aspect is budget, which we know from past experiences, is tight on these projects, unless they have found some generous sponsors in this down economy.

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 3:39 am
    • Excellent, well thought out points!B);):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    • Thanks Kitty, good to hear from you. frank <DIV> <DIV id=SkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.comTo: frankrh77@live.comSubject: DwnSoDwnEaster replied to your comment on The Truth About the Second Floor

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm
  4. This is going to be quite an intriguing project to watch unfold! Great news about there being no asbestos. Whoever the lucky winner is, she/he will know that the home will not only be beautiful( it always is), but safe,too!

E.B. on December 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm
  5. Caught some of the sunset over the water on the cabin cam tonight – how awesome would it be to see this every night? I just hope they don't make this cabin so fancy that whoever wins it can't afford to keep it.

Mimitheminer on December 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm
  6. Thank you for the update. And thnak you Jay for the insight and history into the house and your family!!__

ceddinger on December 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm
  7. I just looked at the revised floor plans and it looks really nice. Just have a couple questions. Is there space to add another bedroom onto the downstairs and another full bath? Also is the library upstairs big enough to use as a bedroom and can a closet be built in there? Another suggestion, I feel that it needs another full bath upstairs to accommodate extra family members or quests. Is there a basement? what about storage? Oh ya, how about a place for stools to eat at the island ( handy for mornings and extra quests). Just some ideas for you to mull over. I think Diy network has bitten off quite a bit to chew with this one but could turn out great. I can't wait to follow the progress.

Ladny on December 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm
    • Hi Ladney, welcome to the Blog! On reading your comments, I'm almost wondering if you are looking at the revised floorplans for the 2012, Waldoboro Maine Blog Cabin. DIY has not released any plans for the NC Atlantic BC and one can actually see that there is no basement, as the house is raised up now on pilings until they can raise and secure a new safe, higher foundation. There would be no basement that close to the oceanfront. Hang onto your ideas though! And you're right at least one full bath will be absolutely necessary upstairs! There will be a time to share and vote too. Right now is dream time…. xDB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm
    • Kitty, Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear the med tests aren't too good. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself.:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 10, 2012 at 12:06 am
    • Oh, oh–my,my I made several typos in my dark typing–so sorry forks! Just caught my mess today! Thanks for the many words of peace and prayer and encouragement! I am feeling them, Friends, and really appreciate each and every one!!! I am posting items which also encourage and make me laugh on Facebook– Laughter is the best medicine, I say, so if you have time, come Friend me on Facebook at Kitty,Charles.Zaugg@facebook.com and lets be friends!B):pxD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm
    • Did it again! UGH! That's FOLKS! So sorry! :( Kitty:$:$

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm
    • Some of us dream too much. Hope that all is well Kitty. Merry Christmas, Happy and prosperous New Year. Be safe.

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 3:42 am
    • Thank you, Frank! Back at Ya!!! All is well, in the sense that I have Peace, Faith, wonderful, encouraging and praying friends all over this Country whom I've never met, but who have warmed and filled my heart with gratitude and love! I've been diagnosed with pancreatic gastrinoma and multiple endocrine neoplasia–type I (testing next week to identify how many and types of other tumors, where they all are– and staging). This is in addition to the mobility stuff you already knew. I think this is stuff many people on this blog may have been touched by malignant diseases in one way or another in their own personal lives and that of their loved ones. I'm no different. I cherish my friendships built on this DIY Blog and FB. I'm looking forward, UP and just want to be a blessing to others for as long as God allows me! :) xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm
    • Kitty
      You are in my prayers. I am sorry the results are challenging. God Bless you and be with you. You have such a fantastic spirit! Stay strong in Christ.
      Love^_^<3^_^<3

ruffybc on December 13, 2012 at 9:59 am
    • Oh Kitty, My heart is heavy for you. I feel your peace, and you have a joyful heart despite your physical pain. Your spiritual strength is a true witness to God. Your words remind me of The Prayer of Jabez. I will continue to pray for your comfort and healing through this diagnosis. You have a support group here with this blog holding you up in friendship and prayer.
      Keep posting here as you can, we look forward to your comments. ~Sue

Peacefurpets on December 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm
    • Dearest Sue, you have just helped release in me something very precious and I want to thank you: tears of joy! :) I know that may sound strange to some but through all these past months, as my health has popped with multiple symptoms to figure out, I've been in research and collaborating/searching diagnostic mode; also trying to help my family work through things with me. I've been a caregiver for one family member or another for over 3.5 decades now, not counting the years of motherhood and raising children; and, I have a middle aged daughter who is now disabled, who needs care. So I have been in "that doing" mode and been unable to shed a cleansing tear. I know God gave us ducts for that purpose so I've actually wanted to put mine to work, but they wouldn't budge–that is, till your post! One would think they'd be more cooperative in times like these… :) Tears are good–even joyful ones, as I have. Folks, the joy is in knowing my God is Accessible and with me! Yes! "God With Us!" Not remote nor distant…here to carry me and ALL who ask…through whatever tears that you or WE are shedding! Thank you, Sue and DIY Blog!!!<3<3<3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DZA_TdBBI&fe… I have posted a link to a most beautiful CeeLo Green rendition of "Mary did You Know?" with Trailer to new Series, "The Bible" upcoming in March 2013 Please let me know if you have problems with the link.:) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I am crying with you. I agree that tears do allow us to release the build-up of emotion and exhaustion within us. Tears also refresh us and allow us to see and think clearly again. I know that God is guiding and guarding us through our struggles, and as the poem states, He often carries us. I wish I lived closer to you to be able to help you. I understand your concerns over caregiving. I too have been a caregiver to several family members over the years despite my own diabilities. It was a privilege to be so trusted and loved. You are such an inpiration to this blog and you have many friends here. You are being embraced in thought and prayer. :) <3~Sue

Peacefurpets on December 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm
    • My gratitude, Sue, to you, for your thoughtfulness and you are helping by praying and encouraging and being on the blog–for I am certain that many Bloggies, such as I also enjoy your ideas, input and kind gentle spirit! Stay the course. " Be strong in the Lord and the power of His Might"–He will uphold and carry you through your own autoimmune and rheumatoid challenges. We all need to keep encouraging Scripps and DIY and HGTV to join the 21st Century and keep Accessibility in the Planning Forefront, just as importantly as Green Building–and I don't mean color palette! :) We actually have quite an army of caregivers among us! I believe it to be a privilege and an honor to be chosen, even though sometimes the challenges can be so huge! Whether we care for a loved family member or friend–or are rescuing a sweet pet, we on the blog are of one accord and I think it is terrific to be able to share with each other all the while as we care enough to dream each forlorn blog cabin into a special place, where somebody's hope becomes reality!!! :) Have a great, restful night! Thank you again! ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 10:40 pm
    • Dear sweet Kitty, my husband and I've been traveling the past 10 days and so I am just tonight catching up with the blog. I'm so very sorry to hear of your continuing health problems. I just want you to know how very much I enjoy and look forward to your posts, especially the kindness and support you have always shown to others. I'm sending a virtual hug your way, and will keep you in my prayers.<3<3<3

SID on December 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm
    • Oh, Dearest Sid! I haven't been on the blog that much and I've been nowhere. Hope your travels with Hubby have been special and you've made some memories along the way! :D I'm so glad to see you back, and really, your encouraging words are like precious gems to me! I believe in hugs so here's a big one back at ya! (((HUG)))! I shall enjoy your rejoining our post posse–it will really get another boost, also, when we get another thread and/or the year turns over to 2013. I'm excited to see what's going to happen–especially because we all know from Dylan that this Blog Cabin can surely go nowhere but UP!!! :) Many Christmas Blessings to you and yours!!! Thanks for your sweetest wishes!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 13, 2012 at 10:55 pm
    • <3<3<3:D

SID on December 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    • ^_^B)<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm
  8. I am glad to hear there is no asbestos but sorry to hear that it will take a bit more to get this old home up to code and back to it's natural beauty. If anyone can do the job it's you guys! Even though it is going to be a long hard job, what a beautiful place to be working! This home seems to have amazing views and just working right on the ocean would be awsome. Best of luck guys and be careful.

Rebecca on December 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm
  9. I love the live cam! I am so ready for the voting to start. I think it's great we get a say in the design of the cabin! Keep up the good work.

Wanda on December 9, 2012 at 9:18 am
  10. I love the cabin cam! Yes, first thing in the morning checking to see what the weather is like at the cabin. Now, I am still hoping for a little beach chic decor and not just old, old, old, but whatever the bloggers vote for, that's what it will be. I just want to win it! I'm crazy about this cabin and the land and the beach and that dock. I want to go fishing!

Linda on December 9, 2012 at 11:15 am