Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. Mary,
    Thank you for posting Mr. Eastman's update.
    I think it is good news all around.
    Not only is there no asbestos, but the reframing and new joists will make the cabin much more stable and comfortable for the eventual winner.
    It will, also, accomodate more options in decorating — furniture weight, height, et cetera.

Lester B. on December 6, 2012 at 9:09 pm
  2. I am more curious on the interior designs. And goodluck guys with the 2nd floor.

Kurt Heckel on December 7, 2012 at 12:12 am
  3. Good news and bad news but I am not worried I know that if anyone can pull it off and bring back to life a ugly duckling is the crew of the BC come on guys you are not alone you have us waiting to cheer you on keep up the good work.

pixelecho69 on December 7, 2012 at 1:26 am
  4. What an undertaking with having to re-frame the second floor. I am assuming you will have to raise the ceiling on the second level as well. Need help with Demo??? This cabin will be a true test of skill and patience.

bigred7878 on December 7, 2012 at 10:22 am
  5. Thank you Mr Eastman, so glad to hear no asbestos. I'm sure you will do a wonderfully beautiful job revamping this wonderful adorable cottage. Can't wait to watch all the videos! keep up the great work. :)

Marianne Clay on December 7, 2012 at 10:44 am
  6. The LIVE CAMERA is not Live so whats the point? The sky, ground, and house never change. Just saying…

Stu on December 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    • You're correct. The camera isn't a live video stream so, technically, it's not a 'live' camera. However, it does enable anyone anywhere to capture a still image of anything within the camera's range, delayed about 7 seconds from 'real time'. Not live, that's true, but a nearly instant still image which is way better than anything we've had at previous cabins.

Another neat thing about this camera system is the ability to capture an image and email that image to yourself or anyone else. I have a folder of images from nearly every day since the camera a went 'live' of things I want to remember such as a sunrise or sunset, workers activity and the raccoon scavenging along the edge of the flooded ditch near the dock the morning after hurrican Sandy passed by. These will augment other images that DIY will, from time to time, display and give me an accurtate timeline of events during the build process. ;)

Clive on December 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm
    • Clive
      you are so handy and techy:)! I have to say this camera has been very frustrating for me. I have not seen any activity at the cabin. I see the light changing so I know I am getting different scenes but no people, trucks, doors open. closed,etc. :( :( I wish they just had a camera that panned back and forth slowly? I took your first advise and was able to see the cabin and then the water. I can get close ups, but nothing ever changes. I don't see racoons, birds or anything??:(:(
      Can't wait to hear more info about the cabin.

ruffybc on December 8, 2012 at 8:38 am
    • Ruf, hit the PANORAMA button next to LIVE for the slow pan. No work going on I guess so no live camera pics

Stu on December 9, 2012 at 12:16 am
    • Unfortunately with the live camera you only get to see stuff when it is happening. With the stills there was an image captured at about the same time during the workday so you see where they were working that day, regardless of when you happened to get online. Both modes have their value, it depends on what you are looking for.

YankeeNuke on December 12, 2012 at 3:29 am
    • Also if you keep clicking when someone is there you can see a slow motion of their movements. I watched them come in with the ladder the day that the contractor showed up. Fun to watch. I liked that huge bird convention at the end of the dock one day. Not just gulls, but pelicans, cormorants, and other sea birds. It is a surprise when something shows up.

grammagail on December 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm
  7. Blog Cabin Beach Retreat 2013 is a beautiful site. I can't wait to see everything as it is remodeled. This property actually reminds me of my late grandma's home. It looked a lot like this as it sits now! Of course it had OUTSIDE plumbing and wasn't on the beach. lol You guys have a lot of work ahead of you and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Rebecca on December 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm
  8. Earlier today there was someone doing something by the two doors visible in the cabin cam. Now I notice the door facing the camera has both the storm and main door shut again. Just wondering whether all the talk about open doors prompted someone from the builders to go check and close everything up. Signs they are reading the blog even if they don't blog also. :)

Clive on December 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  9. I'm so glad someone finally closed the front door. I feel better now for some reason…It's a dreary and rainey day at the Cottage today and beginning to look a lot like Winter on the shores of the BC….I will be so glad when the Reno start. I surely hope they will share the work that's going on and don't try to hide the work from us…Gees….. the Camera is far enough away that we won't be able to see everything that's going on,
    in the front anyway..OH! thats's right…we have a great ZOOM Camera, don't we..Bring it on Mr. Eastman and DIY, make our Days happy and exciting with this great new adventure at this cute little Dobbies' Cove on the shores of North Carolina…yeah!!! Can't wait!!! Mary did I thank you for the Camera Cam? If not, thank you so much!!!
    Just one more thing, are the revised drawings completed yet? If so can we please take a peek???

Jennie/Florida on December 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm
  10. Thanks for the new update. Looking forward to the renovation.

Summer on December 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm