Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. What a charming little house…. Obviously needs some work, but I see a lot of potential. I hope at least some of the furnishings and decor were acquired along with the house (like the blue glass!). And I hope they put the porch back on (or a reasonable facsimile). Looking forward to seeing what options are presented here, anxious to see what they do with the place :)

Mimitheminer on December 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm
    • Mimitheminer, nice seeing your name on the blog again ! :)

LLColeman on December 6, 2012 at 5:10 am
    • Thank you, thank you, and nice being back on the blog. Was somewhat out of the loop last year, working (new job) and didn't have much opportunity to be online. So how's things? What did I miss? LOL.

Mimitheminer on December 6, 2012 at 10:00 am
  2. How are you going to make this house ADA Compliant. I am disabled and I would love the house but the second floor and the stairs it is a challange for me and the possible winner, is it going to be enlarged or will it remain just as small as it is. I know what remolding a old house can be as we have a 104 year old home that has been in our family for the whole time. Best of luck with the blog cabin

Susan Taylor on December 6, 2012 at 2:39 am
    • Susan Taylor, a group of us bloggers ask for universal access design at the beginning of these projects…it is yet another factor when DIY remodels a house that has to be raised even higher from a flood plain. The 2012 B.C. at least had a first floor master suite that could be re-worked to have an accessible first floor.
      Thank you for reminding DIY that all of us need to have a chance to dream of winning these homes.

LLColeman on December 6, 2012 at 5:17 am
    • Having a handicapped husband makes these issues very important to us as well. A first floor master bedroom is essential if there is no lift or elevator, although a stair lift is a post construction addition that could work for us. The "birthing" room would have its place in our lives. We can also add the necessary access ramps outside if need be. Open floor plan with side alcoves to define different use areas would be great! Low thresholds to access porches and decks and, of course, a bathroom with a comfort height toilet and roll-in shower. A soaking tub is not out of the question as we have a lift tub chair that works nicely in an old claw foot tub.

grammagail on December 6, 2012 at 4:11 pm
  3. Dylan, you are such a good blogger to keep us up to date on the progress of the remodel–thank you !

LLColeman on December 6, 2012 at 5:12 am
  4. The door does have glass over glass duct taped and screwed in place. As for mosture in the house. The home has always been open . The sound breeze has alway been the ac. The family would just air out the home. Sheets,quilts and clothes ect. were hung in the sun to dry. Many things were kept in the big cedar chests . Guess mold doesn't like salt air. As for the second floor. My wife ,Evelyn Clyde Harris, and I always wanted to take out the bed room floor above the living room and leave it open for light into the rooms above as well. We wre going to cut a window into the wall of the small bedroom so you could look down into the living room from above. We wanted to leave the exsisting door that leads into the room,yet cut it in half. Closing off the bottom section and being able to open the topwould again help make the home more open and airy. We would just add a beam from below to suport the thin wall and floor above. Evelyn want maybe to have a small catwalk with chair or two so people above coud sit and talk to those below. The high valted ceiling was the only way we could have a ceiling fan. We love Dobbie' Cove . Thankyou DIY

jay on December 6, 2012 at 11:31 am
    • Thank you , Jay, so much for adding to the history of the cabin. Airing out the house and the linens were practices my grandmother and mother used and I believe they are much healthier than using a dryer and mold inhibitors! Mold used to be prevented by scrubbing well and plenty of air circulation. Is Dobbie Cove the name of the one the cabin sits on?

grammagail on December 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm
    • Jay, Thank you for the information on this lovely seaside cottage. I have enjoyed learning about the history of the house. What a wonderful place it must have been to spend time with family. Did Dobbie live there year round? Was the cove named after her? I hope you will continue to blog with us as DIY gets underway in the renovation. :) <3

bythebaydreamer on December 7, 2012 at 2:21 am
    • Hi, Dad :)

Wait! I remember this! This plan of theirs included cutting out MY bedroom and I was so upset! (I was also, like, 10 years old) Haha!

Alicia9981 on December 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    • Alicia are you on the blog? if not take a look, they now have the new floor plans up. What do you and your father think of them?
      Rhonda

home_girl on January 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    • I talked to my dad earlier this morning. The first thing he said was, "They don't have a screen on that porch! That doesn't make any sense!" Haha! He hasn't seen the floor plans, but I told him about how they plan to cut the bedrooms from 5 to 2 and he just didn't get that either. I know we're both really attached to the way the house was originally, but I think it's reasonable to be put off by those two things … :/ We'll see. I know a lot of people have mentioned it, too. Maybe they'll leave the floor plan up for a little modification since they still have a while before they really get into the building phase??

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 10:03 am
    • If you go to the cabin cam you can see they all ready started the new frame work for it. Won't take them long to get it all framed in. I am just sad about the kitchen being stuck back in the middle again. I loved the way your family had it.
      I am sure it will all look great in the end, but nothing like it was before. Looks like all new bones too, don't see much of your cottage left standing there in all that new wood.
      I hope all going will for you in Korea and your settling in all right. Hard moving to a new country and with the different way they talk.
      I hope you had a nice Christmas & a great new year.
      Rhonda

home_girl on January 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm
  5. Thank you Jay for sharing with us…We love this little Cottage too, how long did you live there? You had some great ideas for upgrading the Cottage, what changed your mind? I'm Glad there was Love and Fun times in the Cottage. The area is so beautiful..Is Dobbie's Cove the name of the area or did the family just name it that? I'm surprised you had the doors opened for air because we were told the mosquitos were bad there..Please join us when you can, we want to learn everything we can from the ones who were fortunate to live in this Cute Little Cottage..Thank you.

Jennie/Florida on December 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm
    • Hi Jennie–I remember that blogger" alicia" wrote that her stepmom's nickname was " Dobbie", and it is her father who sold the cottage to DIY people. Alicia has been traveling and has not checked in to the blog so much recently.

LLColeman on December 10, 2012 at 4:21 am
    • Never mind ! I went back to the last thread and saw that you had replied to her post, so you did know about her. :)

LLColeman on December 10, 2012 at 4:28 am
    • Hi LL, Yes I was so glad Alicia was blogging with us …She has been so kind to share the History of the Cottage with us and to give information no one else knows…It's so exciting to hear the little things about the Cottage.. I know she is in Korea teaching, but said she will try to blog when possible… LL, you know, it's great to get new threads, but it's hard to keep up with more than one thread at a time…I'm going back and forth trying to read all, to keep up, but I'm sure I have missed some good comments!!! I just don't won't to miss something important!!
      Bad weather is headed our way!! For tonight and tomorrow.Tornado warnings are already reported for the Orlando and Clermont area! Winds are expected to be 45 to 55mph here with heavy rain. More of the same for Florida for the next three days. It was 82 here today..I was decorating for "Christmas" in shorts and tee shirt with the A/C on..Not what I want for December, but the weather has been so wild all over the US this year…OK, got to go finish my decorating inside, guess I won't be able to decorate outside until this weather front gets through..Have a good evening!!

Jennie/Florida on December 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    • I do hope the storms bypass you, Jennie. The weather is so upside down–my 2nd cousin living near Chicago is pining for some snow because they have had temps in the 60's and 70's, –but it is finally going to cool down there I think. <3

LLColeman on December 11, 2012 at 5:24 am
    • Hi…LL, I was very lucky but the people of Edgewater Florida, 20+ miles North of here had a Tornado that destroyed 40 homes and now some people are without homes for Christmas, So sad. This is truly a bad time for this to happen, of course, anytime is a bad time, but I feel for the children who can't understand what's going on…Sad time for all who lost there homes.. Weatherman said more bad weather to come this evening and tomorrow. I will be so glad when this cold front gets through! Oh and I think your cousin probably got their wish for Snow!! Looks as though they are getting snow up North..I'm sure Clive got some snow yesterday and today…OK, time for more decorating! The reason it's taking me sooo long to get this done is because I put the decorations away last year and now I can't remember where I put some of them, so I'm spending most of my time hunting!! Not Fun…Don't laugh, you will get there one of these days..lol

Jennie/Florida on December 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm
    • Ha–I am already a full time resident of Forgetful Land….weren't we blogging last year about how we can't remember what it was we had blogged the day before ? LOL
      I have a pair of featherweight eyeglasses that really live up to their name…one day I got panicked because I could not find my glasses…my husband looked at me, and rolling his eyes told me that I was wearing them…they were right on my face !! :p

I do feel for those who have lost their homes in the storms.

LLColeman on December 12, 2012 at 4:52 am
    • LL, and I thought "I" was bad!!! Too funny..LOL…
      I can remember what I blogged usually, I just can't find the post where I blogged….
      I'm still looking for some Xmas things! I think a Christmas Bandit came in and took my decorations away…These things i'm looking for are too big to hide in this house!! Maybe the Snowmen decided they didn't won't to be put on display this year and decided to run away and go where it is Snowing!!! Ha–Can't figure this one out!!
      LL…. the count has gone up, now 90 homes were damaged ..That's a lot of homes
      for this little Beach town! They are getting a lot of help from the neighbors and the authorities..quick response is Good!!! We're still getting bad thunderstorms and torrential rains…I hope tomorrow the storms will be gone and we will get back to
      nice Sunshine….

Jennie/Florida on December 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    • OOPS my comment hiccupped!

Jennie/Florida on December 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm
    • Hi, LL! Sorry I've been away … I'm trying to get my bearings from over in Korea, and I feel so bad when I come back to this site to see that I'm several articles behind!

Dobbie was Evelyn's (my step mom's) grandmother. The 'cove' was named after her. I'm not sure how long ago it was dubbed this, but I've always known by that nickname. Well, that and the Ponderosa because of all of the open land.

Jennie, with the screened-in porch and screen doors, we'd leave everything open in the summer time. As the screens were our last defenses against our 'state bird,' we always had to make sure they were free of holes (tough to do with children and dogs running around) and my parents were adamant that we didn't run in and out of the house too often! As for upgrading the house: the "to be fixed" list was so long, it never seemed like enough fixing could be done! DIY has a much bigger budget and more manpower than we've ever had. Dad was kind of a one-man-show!

Alicia9981 on December 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm
  6. I've been out of the loop for a while and was very surprised and happy to see where the new Blog Cabin project is located. Another beautiful coastal/waterfront site. Thanks DIY. I have the same lyre-shaped-base table in my house, except mine has 4 metal rods depicting the strings. It would be great to have them both in the same house (when/if I were to win). Hopefully that table conveys with the house. As always, I'm am looking forward to transformation.

Windsmurf on December 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm
    • Hi Windsmurf! Welcome back we've missed you!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 7, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • Windsmurf
      Welcome back! We are going to have fun with this home-it has super potential. We are already into "pirate mode"!Arrgh!

ruffybc on December 13, 2012 at 9:50 am
  7. This house looks like such a disaster. Might be easier to start all over from nothing. But, the finished re-do will look like such a miracle! Should be fun to watch!

Stu on December 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm
  8. Looking at the CC it seems kind of funny there is a paddle lock on the side door, and the other door is open.

vicki_in_Utah on December 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm
  9. Anyone know the street address of the house?

Stu on December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm
    • Stu, the address has been posted a couple of times. It is 448 Seashore Drive, Atlantic, NC. The property transfer was published here : http://www.nccoast.com/publications/island_review

grammagail on December 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm
    • Thank you Grammagail!

Stu on December 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm
  10. Mary and Dylan, thank you for hearing us! Frequent feeding keeps the empty stomach from growling!!! LOL
    Seriously, the small bits of information help us to understand the depth of work that is needed in the background before the actual physical work can begin. The tedious planning on paper keeps the "oops"factor to a minimum. There will always be necessary tweaks and changes along the way but reducing their numbers helps lighten the stress factor! A small glimpse of the process helps us know how hard you are working.

grammagail on December 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm