Dec 5

The Truth About the Second Floor

Blog Cabin 2013 Floor Joists

Our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman, just returned from a trip to Blog Cabin 2013. He shares his latest remodeling discovery below:

“During this trip, I removed some pieces of interior ceiling panel to determine how the second floor was framed and also to get samples tested for asbestos. The good news is that the house is asbestos free! The not-so-good news is that the second floor is framed at seven feet above finished floor with roughly 2 x 5-inch floor joists. Further, these joists measure anywhere from 30 to 40 inches on center and span 12 feet. There is a fair amount of sag and bounce to the second floor. These facts, combined with the short ceiling height, demand that we reframe the second floor with new joists installed one foot higher than present joists. Have no fear, Blog Cabin fans, we will save every salvageable piece of wood for use in the renovation or how-to projects.”

• Posted at 11:47 am on December 12, 2012

1. Thank you for the update Mary and Mr. Eastman…I was glad to hear no Asbestos was found, but sounds like you have found bigger problems..Sagging and bouncing to the second floor doesn't sound too good, but I know this Cottage is in good hands and will be brought up to code in every aspect..Glad to hear the ceiling will be raised, taller people would have back and neck problems if this wasn't corrected. We Bloggers are so anxious to see movement around the Cottage. Can't wait for this journey to get started..The Cottage looks so lonesome. but the good part is, we can see the beautiful Sunrises and Sunsets…..It would be great if we could take a peek at the revised floor plans…Please Mary, thank you again!

Jennie/Florida on December 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • Just one Question, why is the front door being left opened to the elements??? I realize the place is being gutted but the moisture isn't helping the framework and other wood that will be used in the Cottage! Just curious to know!

Jennie/Florida on December 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    • I can see reflections of a blue sky with a few small clouds in the screen door in front of the open door. I'll guess that the screen door may be a solid piece of perspex and probebly not letting water into the ccottage.

Clive on December 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    • Hi Clive, I zoomed in on the front door. There is glass on the top part but only screen and metal scroll work on the bottom part…That is what I'm seeing…Do a closeup and see what you think!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm
    • There's definitely screen at the bottom but I can't tell whether it's over plexiglass or not. It could be. It's possible that there are two halves to the plexiglass that can be slid past each other and a screen too. The same as double hung sash windows. That would allow for half the door to be open for fresh air but closed for bugs. I wonder if Alicia can tell us?

Clive on December 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm
    • See my blog- We lived in the home- Lots of LOVE and FUN — Great feeling still throught. Dobbie's Cove lives on. Thankyou DIY.

Jay on December 6, 2012 at 11:40 am
  2. I just watched a couple episodes of Blog Cabin, my first one and I am hooked! (the one in Maine) What a great idea for a show. It's really nice to feel we can be involved like this. I look forward to commenting on the 2013 house (and winning!!). Have a wonderful day everyone!

sonyarace on December 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm
    • I know this is so addicting. I love blogging and interacting with everyone. The DIY network is my favorite program channel. You can really get good information from it and actually will be able to do things that you would have normally called a contractor for. Best of luck to you.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 11:50 pm
  3. That's great news about the lack of asbestos! I'm glad they will frame the second floor again. Thanks, Dylan, for the update, and thanks, Mary, for posting! Anxiously awaiting the revised floor plans!!

MGYinSC on December 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm
  4. I don't know… I think it's good to reframe the floor eather way. People now day's tend to have a lot more weight ( furniture and such ) it there rooms then thay did back when! And that should take out that annoying skweek that old homes have!!! ;)

asandmancan on December 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm
  5. How long tell there is new video??????

asandmancan on December 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm
  6. Great news on the lack of asbestos. :) What about lead in the old paint? :S

Clive on December 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    • Don't worry about lead paint. If you look at the time-lapse photos, you will discover that there is virtually NOTHING left from the old cottage — even though they went through the trouble (pretense) of jacking it up to meet flood requirements. It's a NEW house so the only possible lead paint would be on salvaged wood used for decorative purposes. It makes for a good story but it isn't exactly true.

Luther on September 8, 2013 at 6:24 am
  7. With the new foundation and now new joists this will be a sturdy well-built home.

Eugenia27 on December 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm
  8. It's still 1 1/2 hr to sunset at the cabin and already there's a lot of color in the sky to the west. Could be a spectacular sunset tonight. B)

Clive on December 5, 2012 at 4:24 pm
    • With the view of the ocean, the sunset and the privacy it will make a great blog cabin. I have been watching DIY for 8 years every week day. This is the first time I've voted as a blogger and I'm enjoying it. I visited New Bern and it's a great little town. I hope I win so I can live there!

Barbara on January 4, 2013 at 2:07 am
  9. it sure is fun having the cabin cam back. Whenever I need a break, I just log on and view the scenery. A few moments reflecting on what it would be like to be there and I am relaxed. Thanks for the cam. Thanks also for the update. Remodeling always has its challenges and unexpected expenses.

peachdoc on December 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm
    • I agree the "getaway" factor to the cabin cam has surprised me. It seemed to be a great way to follow the renovation but I had not realized the relaxation it would bring. I,too, go there each day and spend some time watching the water, trying to catch the sunsets, and just taking a "walk" around the grounds. The only things missing are the smell of salt in the air, the sounds of the high pitched squeals of the gulls as they gather on the dock and the touch of a breeze on my face. Thank you DIY for sharing this experience with us.

grammagail on December 7, 2012 at 10:54 am
  10. Thank you DIY, Mary, and Dylan for giving this tired old coastal retreat an opportunity to have a new life. The next few months will be exciting as the blog cabin is transformed into a home that will last generations. Can't wait!:

bythebaydreamer on December 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm