Nov 30

A Challenging Remodel

Blog Cabin 2013 As Is

Today, I am happy to post our first report from project manager Dylan Eastman, who shares some behind-the-scenes info about the state of Blog Cabin 2013.

When the house was surveyed, structural challenges, including 2×4 floor joists, 7′ ceilings and variances in floor height, were discovered. The porch, kitchen and mechanical room are also out of current construction code; the decision was made to rebuild rather than repair them.

1. The brother of the selling agent remodeled portions of the home in the early 1990s. A gabled roof was installed over the master bedroom.

2. Flooring is water damaged in areas where wind-driven rain seeped under exterior doors. Termite damage is also evident.

3. Several renovations over the home’s 150-year history have resulted in floor level changes.

4. Exterior wood shakes, now interior elements, are clues that both the kitchen and master bedroom were additions.

5. Ship’s ladder-style stairs to the second floor, originally a loft/sleeping space coined “the jump”, are not to code.

6. A second story existed over the main portion of the house prior to the addition of the space over the dining and birthing rooms. This is evidenced by the short slope of the ceiling paneling.

• Posted at 6:24 pm on November 11, 2012

1. I simply had to thank you so much yet again. I am not sure the things that I could possibly have achieved in the absence of the actual concepts discussed by you directly on such field. It was a troublesome problem in my view, but taking a look at the expert strategy you handled the issue made me to jump for contentment. I am happier for the assistance and thus sincerely hope you comprehend what an amazing job you happen to be putting in teaching the mediocre ones through your site. I am sure you’ve never come across any of us.

EPDM on December 10, 2012 at 5:35 am
  2. Wow when you look at the pic of the roof out to the water it is amazing. It would be cool to see you do a type of sun deck around the top that would look out over the ocean. What a beautiful view! This is going to be a a great project to watch from start to finish!

Rebecca on December 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm
  3. some snakes are good snakes, so it is a good idea to check what kind of snakes are around the area.B)

cynthia on December 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm
  4. I know this will be a challenge but it will be worth it in the end. Just bringing the home up to date and still incorporating many of the homes natural beauty will look amazing. Please keep the water pump as a part of the lawn decorations. I am in love with this house! This will be a dream come true for someone. When will the projects begin?

Rebecca on December 18, 2012 at 8:22 am
  5. My first time reading the comments posted. It is interesting to read all the post, ideas, and things that concern different people from areas around the world. As the construction crew knows with remodeling there are surprises around every corner.

While remodeling my mother's 60+ year old home, we found layers of different materials in the living room: 1970's fake wood-type paneling, over beautiful real wood tongue & groove paneling, over flowered wall papered drywall. The kitchen had even more layers: painted fake wood paneling, over layers of real wood, over two designs of wallpapered paneling and drywall from different eras of time.

We bought a house that was old barracks from an Air Force base built in the 1940's. While replacing some drywall we found wood walls that had the words "jet motor", Property of US Government " printed on them.. After researching, I found that in the 40's, anything was used as building materials & the wood boards were crates that housed motors for jet engines. So you can imagine what they are finding everyday in a 110+ year home!!!! The DIY builders deserve a pat on the back!!!!

Concerning the snakes, I live in the South & they are almost everywhere. My only suggestion would be to the landscapers to keep as much vegetation away from the edge of the house & entryways as possible & the builders get a couple of cats while there. They eat snakes and rats, both which you have large numbers of in the South near the water.

My first blogging, I promise, I won't be as long-winded next time!!!!

Nana Bella from Florida

NanaBella on December 29, 2012 at 11:45 am
    • I'm new to this also and it's fun reading all these posts;) I am renting a house made in 1900 and sometimes wish it were mine so I could "fix it up". No telling what I would find in these old walls! I really look forward to seeing what these guys do to this place.

Vena Hall on January 3, 2013 at 8:55 am
  6. makasih atas infonya sangat bermanfaat

pemesanan tricajus on December 31, 2012 at 12:17 am
  7. Do you have a date as to when the projects for this home will start to air on the DIY network? I love watching the show and can't wait to see this reconstruction begin.

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:18 am
  8. If I owned this property with a nice home on it I would consider myself the luckiest woman in the world. I would spend every moment I could just relaxing listening to the waves. Wishful thinkng huh? lol I can dream :* can't I. lol Best of luck with the rebuild guys, be safe!

Rebecca on January 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm
  9. I look at the view and it makes me want to throw a blanket on the ground and have a picnic right there. What a beautiful property! All the years it has been there, can't you just hear the children running around and chasing each other!

Vena Hall on January 3, 2013 at 8:38 am
  10. I bet you have uncovered A LOT of changes while taking down parts of this home to reconstruct it. I can only imagine what wonderful surprises you will have in store for us.

Rebecca on January 3, 2013 at 6:31 pm