Nov 30

A Challenging Remodel

Blog Cabin 2013 As Is

Today, I am happy to post our first report from project manager Dylan Eastman, who shares some behind-the-scenes info about the state of Blog Cabin 2013.

When the house was surveyed, structural challenges, including 2×4 floor joists, 7′ ceilings and variances in floor height, were discovered. The porch, kitchen and mechanical room are also out of current construction code; the decision was made to rebuild rather than repair them.

1. The brother of the selling agent remodeled portions of the home in the early 1990s. A gabled roof was installed over the master bedroom.

2. Flooring is water damaged in areas where wind-driven rain seeped under exterior doors. Termite damage is also evident.

3. Several renovations over the home’s 150-year history have resulted in floor level changes.

4. Exterior wood shakes, now interior elements, are clues that both the kitchen and master bedroom were additions.

5. Ship’s ladder-style stairs to the second floor, originally a loft/sleeping space coined “the jump”, are not to code.

6. A second story existed over the main portion of the house prior to the addition of the space over the dining and birthing rooms. This is evidenced by the short slope of the ceiling paneling.

• Posted at 6:24 pm on November 11, 2012

1. Uh oh !! I'm worried, with all the wood damage, it sounds like they may have to spend more on flooring like last year & not have enough for bathrooms !!!

gremol on December 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    • Oh No gremol, not that again…that would be terrible to have to go through that ordeal again… I hope they don't omit Neccessities this time and add things that is really not needed….Big square garden tub or a hot tub, a big den with huge TV–game room,,,Can set up for games outside in the huge yard when needed..Spend money wisely especially if budget is tight and a lot of unforseen problems occur during renovation..JMO.

Jennie/Florida on December 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm
    • I know that DIY like having exciting television shows. I just want to tell DIY that I get VERY excited at the idea of an indoor flush toilet; especially one that I don’t need to access from the master bedroom.
      I agree with Jennie/Florida. I would prefer that DIY would give us a “NEED” as opposed to a ”want”.

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm
    • LOL, Eugenia, you're so funny, but you are right! You would think DIY would think that having a potty is absolutely more important than having a Hot tub or Garden tub…Don't get me wrong, those things are great toys, but necessities come first with me!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm
    • So right !! We don't need a lot of the things they put in, like the $1,200.00 Japanese tree in 2012s' B.C. !!!

gremol on December 3, 2012 at 3:09 am
    • LOL Good point, Gremol. However, I think many of the luxury items are donated by companies who are sponsers and they do it for the advertising. Pat Green:

Pat Green on December 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    • I am pretty sure you are right Pat.

vicki_in_Utah on December 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm
    • Agreed Pat. I never missed an episode of Rock Solid or Indoors Out. The CEO of CobbleSystems, Tal Shuford appeared on those shows from time to time. He was on site for the Susan VA reno during the filming of Indoors Out, during the installation of his companies products. He was nice enough to donate his companies products for the Maine home too. He can donate as much as he wants to the NC home! I'm a hardcore hardscape lover. :)

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm
  2. Pardon me for scary comments. But all the vegetation is a wonderful place for snaky varmints. I get scared at the thought of snakes. But its still a lovely place and there are so many green plants around, too.

Diane W on December 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm
    • The only poisonous snakes we have (Pacific Northwest) here are rattlesnakes and they are nice enough to warn you to back off before they strike. With May-be the exception of not having a powder room on the main floor and while communing with nature; they have been known to strike when a person is at their most vulnerable. Another good reason for DIY to budget in that powder room.

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    • You may laugh, but I have been watching for snakes. It is easy to wear high top leather boots but when it is hot or if you are style conscious that may not be an option. I spent some time in Florida where the snake issue is worse but I hardly ever saw one. The dog did get hit by a baby (of all things!) pigmy Carolina rattler.
      It was New Years Eve and not a Vet to be had so we ended up at Wal-Mart (only thing open) and got some Benedryl. I went online and got the correct dosage and he was fine. Good thing it was a baby one though!

grammagail on December 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm
    • GrammaGail, when it comes to snakes, being style conscious goes out the window for me! You do have a point about the hot weather and high top leather boots…..
      With your experience we all know now that we should keep Benedryl on hand at all times.

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    • Benedryl is NOT an answer if a human is bitten by a snake! A doctor is! The benedryl only worked because we had a large 80 pound dog and it was a baby snake without its full compliment of venom. We knew it was a baby because we found the fang marks and they were itty bitty ones. The effect was sudden after he came in from his nightly relief break with all ends working at once on wall to wall carpet and then huge hives on his body showed up. It was a New Year's Eve to remember!
      I do love the location of the cabin, though. Don't think snakes would be a constant issue and I can tolerate one going through every once in a while so long as it keeps on going! LOL

grammagail on December 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    • OK no Benadryl and high top leather boots in hot weather. That’s ok it is such a beautiful location that athletes foot would be a small price to pay. :) ;)

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    • Does Birkenstock make high top books Eugenia!? ^_^

EdinOregon on December 4, 2012 at 1:34 am
  3. It will be a challenge. But I do hope most of the original character can be kept. Shame to modernize this beauty too much,

ceddinger on December 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm
  4. Hi Diane, I too am afraid of Snakes, OH! a better word is Petrified and thought about that when I first saw the 3 acres around the Cottage.. There are locals who have joined us on the blog and have been so kind as to give us great information about the area…Maybe they will chime in and give us heads up on what kind of snakes, we could expect if we were so lucky to win this Cottage!!! Also what other varments prowl
    in the neighborhood!!! I would like to know, just in case I win…

Jennie/Florida on December 2, 2012 at 7:24 pm
    • I guess the word is Vermins and not varments….OOPS!

Jennie/Florida on December 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm
    • or critters…LOL..chipmonks can do so much damage, even if they are cute. I hope the put they use the same fondation that they did on the 2011 BC in Va, that was awsome to watch. I loved the brick work over the cinder blocks.

vicki_in_Utah on December 3, 2012 at 12:53 am
    • Aren’t they the same thing?

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • Varmits and vermin could be the same! ^_^

EdinOregon on December 4, 2012 at 1:38 am
    • I've seen cottonmouths around the area because of all of the marshes, but I don't recall ever seeing snakes around the house. I'm not saying there aren't any, but I don't remember them. It's the mosquitoes you need to be afraid of! Hahaha!

Alicia9981 on December 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    • Oh, and on the topic of animals … we used to have a big tray filled with bird seed hanging just outside the kitchen window. There were SO many birds! And, strangely enough, they were very particular about their food and would only eat sunflower seeds. Every now and then, you'd have random sunflowers pop up around the ditches :) Unfortunately, we hadn't been down there in a while so I'm sure a generation or two has passed since the last time they were fed and they may need to be reintroduced to feeders … but it's well worth it!

Alicia9981 on December 8, 2012 at 3:30 am
  5. I just spent a little time zoomed in to the dock. I was imagining sitting on the dock, the warm breeze, the sound of the water, the sun shining down on me. Just glorious!!!

DIY bring it on! As a blogger I'm ready ! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on December 3, 2012 at 9:29 am
  6. I cannot wait to see how they are going to tackel this home. Sounds like plenty of work ahead-I have my sleeves rolled up and ready to get ripping:) I hope the powers that be are listening to the comments. Seems there are alot of votes to have another screened in porch part of the re-do:) I certainly agree with that:)
    I am having major problems with the intense debate again:( so I may not be able to respond or make comments:( I hope it gets resolved:(

ruffybc on December 3, 2012 at 10:04 am
    • ruffy, say it is not so ! Me favorite barge captain ! If you can sign on with a different moniker, just say "aaaarrrghh, 'tis me !" and we will know it be ye…B)

LLColeman on December 5, 2012 at 6:53 am
  7. So many things wrong with this home………and termites! Ouch! It will be a challenge, but I know that DIY will do a wonderful job fixing up this home.

Summer on December 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm
  8. This place has a lot of potential. Do U plan 2 rebuild in the original style? I would like 2C a wrap around porch or a widow's peak on top of the house.Can't wait 2C your plans 4 the property.

Nilsa Lugo on December 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm
  9. Birthing Room?!

tr15h64w on December 4, 2012 at 12:13 am
    • sure–who wanted to be born on a kitchen table ? Not everyone used to go to a hospital…and I do not know whether that area had a hospital near enough in the old days. ( I myself chose a home birth when I had my 2nd child…the only thing I missed was air conditioning, which my house lacked.)

LLColeman on December 4, 2012 at 4:07 am
    • The birthing room was used so the mother could remain close to the kitchen and still keep an eye on things (woman's work is never done). If she had older(about 7 and up) girls they could follow her instructions and the family still got fed. No McDonald's or fast food take out then!
      The room was also used for those who were ill enough to stay in bed. Mom could do her daily cooking for the family and easily keep an eye on the sick ones, giving them liquids and broths to keep their strength up. There were no "IVs" in those days. Then when the older generation became feeble the younger wife could keep an eye on them during the day again while she took over the kitchen duties. She could grind their meals and make sure they were getting enough to eat. There were no nursing homes to stick them in and family took care of you until you died. It is likely some took their first breath and last in the "birthing" room.

grammagail on December 4, 2012 at 9:59 am
    • My stepmom's mother was born in that room! (I'm sure her siblings were as well, but I know Nadine was for sure)

Alicia9981 on December 8, 2012 at 3:22 am
  10. Some of you may find this interesting, it's ducks vs. horses at the OBX http://wtkr.com/2012/11/08/ducks-vs-horses-suppor

Mel on December 4, 2012 at 6:57 am