Nov 30

A Challenging Remodel

Blog Cabin 2013 As Is

Today, I am happy to post our first report from project manager Dylan Eastman, who shares some behind-the-scenes info about the state of Blog Cabin 2013.

When the house was surveyed, structural challenges, including 2×4 floor joists, 7′ ceilings and variances in floor height, were discovered. The porch, kitchen and mechanical room are also out of current construction code; the decision was made to rebuild rather than repair them.

1. The brother of the selling agent remodeled portions of the home in the early 1990s. A gabled roof was installed over the master bedroom.

2. Flooring is water damaged in areas where wind-driven rain seeped under exterior doors. Termite damage is also evident.

3. Several renovations over the home’s 150-year history have resulted in floor level changes.

4. Exterior wood shakes, now interior elements, are clues that both the kitchen and master bedroom were additions.

5. Ship’s ladder-style stairs to the second floor, originally a loft/sleeping space coined “the jump”, are not to code.

6. A second story existed over the main portion of the house prior to the addition of the space over the dining and birthing rooms. This is evidenced by the short slope of the ceiling paneling.

• Posted at 6:24 pm on November 11, 2012

1. I believe some people are misinterpreting what Mr Estman has blogged. He says that "the porch, kitchen and mechanical room are also out of current construction code; the decision was made to rebuild rather than repair them." There's nothing about rebuilding the entire cottage. We knew most of that already as those rooms were demolished when the house was raised.

It's going to be interesting to see if they expand the footprint or build up with another floor. Otherwise this is going to be a very small house and maybe not even reach the $1/2 million that DIY paid for it before renovation.

Anniesown on December 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    • I could picture myself being completely content living with the original floor plan. Now that they will need to rebuild those wings that were not raised with the rest of the house; they will be able to add a killer kitchen and update that bathroom.

Eugenia27 on December 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm
  2. It will be complicated but not impossible if our handsome men of DIY Blog Cabin are ready so are we let's do this!

pixelecho69 on December 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm
  3. I have noticed that the door where the ladder was has been left open for over a week now (just the screen door is shut). I'll assume that's because the flooring isn't going to be saved (damp, rot and termites) so there's no need to close the door to the weather.

Anniesown on December 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm
  4. I love the cabin cam at this time of day. Seeing the near setting sun light up the trees is a daily joy. The hard part is timing my wait before turning the camera into the sun to watch it set.

Eugenia27 on December 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm
    • Agreed! My daily trip to the North Carolina shore is truly a joy as well. Usually I catch a glimpse of the new day dawning and have caught many sunsets. Tried to catch twinkling lights coming on in the evening and learned to look as the very last light is fading toward the other side of Styron Bay. Then there is the excitement of finding people on site planning for the renovation!

grammagail on December 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm
    • I'm not a morning person and I'm on the West Coast so the only way I would see the sun rise is if I stayed up all night. I bet it would be worth it (but what if that morning it was overcast? )

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 1:46 am
    • Ditto, Eugenia ! LOL….we should have a non-slumber online party some night…( I am probably too old to pull that off, though) ;)

LLColeman on December 3, 2012 at 2:33 am
    • I love your idea!
      What time zone are you in?

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    • I live in the San Francisco Bay area, so I am also on PST. I used to pull all-nighters with ease when I was young. I did stay up until 3 a.m. last month–which would be late enough here to be early on the east coast, LOL Maybe we can get a little group of bloggers to try this with us…

LLColeman on December 4, 2012 at 4:12 am
    • A better question would have been, what time does the sunrise there?

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm
    • On the cabin cam page down where the zoom and other symbols are is one for weather. If you put your mouse on it it gives current temp and also sunrise and sunset times.

grammagail on December 3, 2012 at 11:50 pm
    • Thanks

Eugenia27 on December 4, 2012 at 3:33 am
  5. As old as the place is, im superised it's in that good of shape! I have seen homes that are 20 years old that were in worse shape. It gos to show you that things were made beater and stronger back then!!! ;)

asandmancan on December 1, 2012 at 5:47 pm
  6. There's something that I was hoping would be addressed by Cap'n Eastman's first BC report. What type of foundation will we see this home given? I wish I could say I was indifferent about what DIY will do……..but that's not how I roll.
    The most common style of NC coastal foundations are pilings. Elevated is good, an "open" foundation that allows floodwaters to surge underneath the first floor without the pressure from the water bringing down the house is better. I don't know if this home lies in a V zone (velocity wave zone) where pilings are required. Will venting a block/brick foundation be enough to keep the water pressure down in a hurricane strength storm surge? Like what was done for the 2011 home? If Diy goes with a block/brick or block/stucco foundation what type of sealant or water barrier will be used since these materials are porous? If pilings are used would they be sealed as well? Mary if the construction cam doesn't allow us to see work beginning on the new foundation soon, could you let the blog know what the plans are for the new foundation in Dylan's next update? Thanks Mary!

Mel on December 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • Wow!! Mel, I love the way you think!
      There is absolutely nothing more important than the foundation.

Eugenia27 on December 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    • Thanks Eugenia, I agree the foundation is really important!!

I would like to see the design of this home fit the area as much as possible. I must say the Lake Lure dream home and the 2009 Blog Cabin built in Asheville NC were perfect "home" representations of those areas. I'm waiting to see how well they do this time.

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 12:05 am
    • If you find a good aerial view of the property (try Spokeo) you will find that the house next door has a small canal cut in for their boats and it includes a breakwater that looks like it would protect the cabin property. Just a guess on my part. Depends on which way the water is driven by a storm. Long Island sound rarely gets the surge but look what happened with Sandy! Just the luck of the draw with the wind.

grammagail on December 1, 2012 at 9:34 pm
    • Grammagail, the outer banks seem to have a bullseye written on them when hurricanes are making their way towards the east coast. This home has survived many a powerful storm, and hopefully it will continue to do so! Regardless of the threat of storms this is an Amazing area. I wish every blogger could see it, and see how special and beautiful it is. It has been awhile since I have visited the SOBX, growing up we usually went to Ocracoke and then up to Manteo. My husband has family living along the NC coast, from Topsail Beach NC to just south of Virginia Beach, so we tend to go visiting the places our relatives live. I'm thinking it's time to go back and visit the Crystal Coast!

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 12:34 am
    • You must have very special memories of the NC coast. Mine are of a coast much further north in Massachusetts and I remember weathering several hurricanes like Carol in my childhood. One wiped out our favorite beach at Westport, MA. Dunes were leveled and summer homes floated miles from their original footings. Some rebuilt but the state took over the beach preventing any more building and now the dunes are back with a couple of huge parking lots behind them. With good construction with hurricanes in mind the cabin should have a great extended life. I, like others here, hope the beachy cottage theme with local touches of fishing amenities abound along with the sturdy construction. This is definitely not the place for cold steel and the industrial look!

grammagail on December 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm
    • Hi grammagail, I agree and I think 90% of the bloggers would vote for Cozy Beachy Cottage theme instead of cold industrial ultra modern style..This is a place for Relaxing, Sunning, bird watching, Fishing, Swimming, Enjoying Beautiful Sunrises and Sunsets…and all that nature has to offer….We just need a Cottage just big enough to have family and friends visit in comfort and I agree with Mel….Don't need a formal diningroom, a big kitchen table would be sufficient and if need be could have a table on the screen porch to seat more! Keep the Cottage theme and No modern shiny stuff, Keep it Cozy….If they use the furniture and items that were there, it would be ideal…I loved all the things in the cottage to begin with, hope it will return. Just my thoughts!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    • Jennie, agreeing with you and Grammagail…no industrial jazz this time…please, DIY ? Forget "trends"….nature rules at this site ! Big kitchen table sounds perfect !

LLColeman on December 3, 2012 at 2:45 am
    • Absolutely!! This is a house that was meant to be filled with people and family! A big, wooden table for lots of get-togethers sounds perfect!

Alicia9981 on December 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    • :) As BIG a wooden table with chairs as can fit!! You're on the nail, of coarse, Alicia! Two thumbs up for NO INDUSTRIAL JAZZ PLEASE!!! This is a place that begs : "Homey!" :*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    • Mel, I hope you do make a visit there ! We would love some on-site reportage…. If we compare the cottage to the Victorian in Mathews, VA, I remember that Mathews family members said that floods once reached the foundation and went to the kitchen door–whereas this cottage lost its garage in one of the recent big hurricanes…since this is close to the ocean and the 2011 BC was buffered by the bay—you are so right that this foundation will need to really stand up to any possible disaster.

LLColeman on December 3, 2012 at 2:41 am
    • LLColeman, I know some of the seasoned bloggers on here like yourself know my neurotic nature!! Remember how I was over the front yard last year at the Maine house? I loved the landscaping design, but I never warmed up how close that home was to the road. LOL

Irene made landfall at the outer banks in 2011. Irene took out sections of this homes dock. I think it was a category 1 ? My local news still does an occasional update on how the outer banks are recovering. Yes this foundation will have to be strong, and allow for good water circulation from a storm surge.

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm
    • Right you are, Mel. Irene was the last hurricane to destroy that poor dock, though she was a 2 or 3 at the time She took out a lot of the cedar trees in the driveway (DIY took out the rest). If you can look up Hurricane Isabel, that's the hurricane that did the most damage to the house. I don't think she was as strong as Irene when she hit, but it was high tide during a full moon so the storm surge hit hard. That's the hurricane that destroyed the garage, two cars and sent flood waters into the house.

Alicia9981 on December 4, 2012 at 10:36 pm
    • I can see that happening with Isabel. My home and loads of trees on the acreage plus all buildings' roofs, sustained most of its damage from the constant rain downpours from Irene, that just came and came and pummeled the area! 100+ ft. trees just teetered a while as we watched in horror and they came down with humongous root-balls sideways, as they fell whichever wind direction was on the recipe of the minute… Irene just wouldn't leave NC and VA!:S<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 6, 2012 at 6:18 pm
    • The canal has been almost completely filled in over the past few years. I don't think that dock has seen a boat in ages. The breakwater is almost level to the water, with rocks piled up on either side. When you're looking out at the water from the house, there used to be tons of trees along the ditch and in the marsh, but many of those have been taken out by years and years of storms. While it leaves the house a little more open to the elements, it does allow for a great Core Sound breeze in the summers!!

Alicia9981 on December 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm
    • The 2011 Blog Cabin was renovated and the foundation raised exactly according to code for hurricane-prone East coast properties. I've no doubt that we'll see exactly the same construction here. The 2011 foundation had no sealant. This would be a bad thing as the cinder block and brick needs to 'breathe' to dry out. It's purpose isn't waterproofing but to raise the house out of harms way. Also, Mr Eastman designed the 2011 cabin so it stands to reaaon he'll repeat a winning design. After all the 2011 house withstood a major hurricane and storm surge just after the building work was completed. :)

Anniesown on December 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm
    • Anniesown, the purpose of sealing the block/brick wall is to keep water out of it. Once the newly constructed walls are cured you can waterproof them before they're ever allowed to get wet.

Apart from a hurricane, just think of a rainy cold winter, and unsealed porous foundation walls ( block and brick are like sponges) getting wet from rain, then the temp drop to freezing, the water the brick or block has absorbed can freeze and put cracks in your foundation walls. The waterproofing is protection from the weather, like paint is. I do hope if DIY goes with a block/brick foundation they will seal it.

Mel on December 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm
    • Sealing cinder block foundation below ground is done but not cinder, or brick, piles. That's what damp coursing is for. It prevents moisture rising to meet wooden flooring. There's absolutely no reason to seal any below floor masonry if the house is raised and there is a damp course.

Anniesown on December 2, 2012 at 12:55 am
    • I don't know enough about the weather there; do you get freezing weather that lasts for more than 3 days at a time? and more than 3 times in a month?

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 1:54 am
    • Eugenia you do get cold weather at the NC coast in winter, temps can dip at night to freezing, but rarely will ever go below freezing. Snow and ice are rare, but do happen. A few years ago when I was at the NC coast, it snowed the day after Christmas.

I love NC weather, we have four seasons. I will tell you our air is Humid here, in EVERY season. The humidity in summer makes the air feel soupy. The humidity in winter, makes the air feel like there's ice in it. I'm accustomed to our humidity, but if you are use to drier air, I would imagine it takes some getting use to.

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 9:47 am
    • And here I sit enjoying this day finally ABOVE freezing since last Friday. We are actually up to the high 40s after two days of snow, ice, freezing rain and drizzle. Can you understand why a home in NC would appeal? And here in Maine we seal everything that can get wet because of the freeze/ thaw cycle and the damage it does.

grammagail on December 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm
    • Hi grammagail, and here I sit blogging to you in my shorts and tee shirt with my windows opened for nice air of 78 degrees…Sorry I couldn't resist…I would trade a day or two of snow for this warm weather…I love to play in the snow but I guess when you have chores or shopping to do, it isn't too much fun…Truly, North Carolina would be the best of both worlds…..Enjoy your day….Stay warm!

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm
    • Jennie you would be closer to the mountains of western NC that you love so much!!
      I hope you make it for the fall colors next year, and that your dear friends husband is doing better.

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm
    • Thank you Mel, my dear friends' arm is coming along nicely, he's a strong man and doesn't let anything hold him down for long….I told him, if he was going to do tricks again, please do them in the spring or summer months. He's like a brother to me so my joking with him doesn't phase him…He just gave me a hug and said he was sorry he messed up our trip, but he would make it up to us…What could we say after that??? Mel, when they announced the BC would be on the NC Coast, I did a jig and almost did a cartwheels, but thought better!! I was so happy, if I won, I wouldn't have far to drive to the BlueRidge, Maggie and all the other great places I love..Woopee….I'm so ready to get started on this Cottage…This one is going to be very interesting, but I trust
      that DIY and Crew can handle this big challenge..I just hope they don't blow their Budget too soon and have to cut back on Necessities for the Cottage!!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    • LOL Jennie, when I saw the NC location, honestly I thought of you and pictured you doing a jig & cartwheels! I did the moonwalk, oh yeah….. I still got some moves!, even if they're from the 80's!

I'm glad your friend is doing better. I know missing your trip was hard, but soon you will be back in the mountains you love so much :)

I know they have a budget to stick to. If the cost of the reno is going to be higher than originally thought, I wonder if they might have to give up their plans to repair the dock? I'm glad my job is suggesting, and not deciding what they do! I'm just like you, ready, ready, ready for them to get going on this cabin!

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm
    • Thanks, Jennie! I tried Florida for two years once and it definitely is not my cup of tea despite the shorts in the winter. Not enough cool breezes for me but there are some cool breezes in North Carolina and I would be able to see my son and family from Cary more often. Maybe even have my granddaughter stay over. Then there is the one in Lexington Park ,MD also closer by far and they like to sail! Just a little jaunt down to the outer banks!

grammagail on December 4, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • Yes Grammagail I do see why you would want to come to an area where the weather is mild. :)
      With mild weather you can save on the heating, cooling bills too!!

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    • Anniesown a damp course might be adequate for some construction depending on the location, but I wouldn't trust it to keep the foundation walls dry in an area that can and does experience flooding. Can you imagine this homes block, brick and mortar foundation walls sitting in salty ocean water that has flooded the area for a length of time unsealed? I have OCD, this is something that would keep me up at night worrying, if I won this home! It's not difficult to apply a sealant, and it can go a long way in protecting your foundation walls. I'm still hoping DIY will let us know what their plans are for the foundation and what they will do to make it the best if can be in an area that experiences so many storms.

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 9:26 am
    • Mel, I don't know if you watched the 2011 cabin build, especially the raised foundation. They never sealed the foundation because it's above ground and designed to get wet. They installed a very eficient moisture barrier between the top of the raised (8ft above grade) foundation cinder block walls to prevent moisture wicking up to the floor joists. You don't seal raised foundation masonry same asother above ground concrete, brick or stone is not sealed. The foundation of this house will, I'm certain, be raised about 8 ft (by code it must be above the highest recorded water level). There will be no basement, cellar or crawl space and the only below ground elements will be concretefoundations on which the cinder block or brick will be raised. The house will rest on top of these walls. Mr. Eastman built the 2011 blog cabin and I'm certain he'll do the same here as he did there as it's code. :)

Anniesown on December 2, 2012 at 10:44 am
    • Anniesown, I think I would have to seal the block/brick walls for my own peace of mind. In this area it seems like it would prove beneficial. It would help me sleep better, even if it's not required by code. :)
      I would gladly put this on the honey-do-list if I won.

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    • Anniesown, you mentioned that they must raise the home above the highest recorded water level. I’m sure every State is different, that is FANTASTIC that NC does that! (I lose track of which home) but if I remember right at that particular home they only had do go to the 50 year flood level.
      Here in Oregon we had (what we called) the storm of ’96. The problem with that name is that there were really 2 storms of ’96. The first was in February; we hit the 50 year flood level. Then that autumn we hit the 100 year flood level.

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • Eugenia27, my husband pointed out to me that you may be more correct than I. He showed me the Coastal & Flood Plain Construction Standards for N. Carolina. These state that all one and two family dwellings in areas identified as 'coastal high hazard' areas must be constructed on a pile foundation of wood or concrete.
      The lowest structure of the dwelling (such as sub floor joists), excluding pilings and supports, in a coastal high hazard area shall be elevated above the base flood elevation. This is defined as the peak water elevation, relative to the median sea level, during a flood that has a 1% chance of being equaled or exceeded in any given year. So the house must be raised to at least a height that’s above a flood that has a 1 in 100 chance of happening in any year – the 100 year flood level. I hope this helps. :)

Anniesown on December 3, 2012 at 2:55 am
    • In other words the house is NOT high enough.

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm
    • Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

DIY have raised this house to code. It's higher than the highest recorded flood in the last 100 yrs. There has to be a point when they say enough is enough. Otherwise, where would they stop raising the house?

Isabel flooded the house up to the lower floor windows. That, according to the previous owners, was the highest flood they knew of at the house. The floor joists of the house are now well over a foot above that height. All will be well. These people are experts in coastal construction. :)

Anniesown on December 3, 2012 at 10:04 pm
    • I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that they built to 1% of the average yearly flood. So you are saying that it is 1% over the 100 year flood. That is a big difference. So my first reaction was correct. That is fantastic that NC cares enough to build for the 100 year flood. I wish every State did that.

Eugenia27 on December 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm
    • I remember these storms well. Coming home from work in Corvallis to Albany Highway 20 was flooded across two lanes. And the Willamette was completely over the banks in Corvallis shutting down Hwy 34 for almost a week! I walked over to the Willamette (two blocks from my house) and told it to quit rising! ^_^ It must have worked. I stayed high and dry!!

EdinOregon on December 4, 2012 at 1:32 am
    • Do you remember the guy on the news, he was building his dream home when it flooded the base of the home and they asked him if he was going to re position the home now that he knew it was in the 50 year flood plain? He reasoned that he wouldn't have to worry about another flood for 50 more years…. 10 months later they were flying over his home and all you could see was the roof.

Eugenia27 on December 4, 2012 at 3:39 am
    • If that is the story I think it is, the guy was pretty close to the river. I don't remember which river though? A hundred year flood only happens on average every 100 years. That fact doesn't mean you couldn't have a flood every year for five years and then have 500 dry years! ^_^

EdinOregon on December 4, 2012 at 4:16 am
    • The Willamette River. He was on a hill over looking the river but it was a narrow spot in the river and when the water rose it came up fast.

The DH has virtual tours now. Have you checked it out yet?

Eugenia27 on December 5, 2012 at 2:44 am
    • Checked the DH Tour out yesterday. I do like the house, but for a multimillion dollar home the kitchen and pantry are a disappointment. There is no way I could put all of my food and cooking utensils in those small spaces! I do like the play/garage area under the house, but I would be concerned about where to store everything in the event of a storm. I agree with you about the bunk space. I would install book shelves there!

EdinOregon on December 6, 2012 at 4:20 am
    • I agree about the kitchen. With no upper cabinets there is very little storage. The Butler’s pantry is ok for storing your serving pieces but where do you put the small appliances and food? I have a killer pantry (on the ground level) I come right in from shopping and load up my shelves. I think I have more room in my pantry than the entire kitchen of the DH. My dad was a depression area baby and he taught me well. If something that I use is on sale, I buy cases at a time.
      My kitchen is not very large, we put in those corner shelves with the lazy Susan; I even have cute little Mini drawers in front of my sink where I keep potato peelers and such.

Eugenia27 on December 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    • Ditto Eugenia. My pantry is in the basement, but it is a daylight basement. So I just walkk in with the groceries from street level. Sometimes I worry the shelves will collapse. I have so much food on them. I also have two freezers full of vegetables, breads, meats and fish!

EdinOregon on December 7, 2012 at 2:06 am
    • He was also close to Portland, so you have to add on the Columbia Rivers over flow.

Eugenia27 on December 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm
    • It is kind of odd when things are posed that way. Back in April,1979, my 1-sty ranch home became inundated with 7.5 ft. of water (and sewerage, the plant upstream broke) for 8 days. Government didn't even consider it a flood zone–or if it was–it was a 1000 year flood, with no precedent, in Jackson, MS. No river nearby. Everything was destroyed. One could think like this man, Eugenia and Ed: "hey that was horrific, but still, it was a 1000 year flood, that's never been known in history of the area!" So the Government demanded, "rebuild as or better than the house was and, we'll lone you the $ at 7.5% Disaster Relief loan rate put on top of your current mortgage–which took 10 months, BTW, for the Government to release, Dear Sandy Victims! So, a 1000 year flood DID come within 2 blocks of my beautifully rebuilt per government requirements home–yup–the following year!!! Nobody wanted –nor could buy the house, because it was now encumbered by a normal mortgage plus a high interest disaster 2nd mtg. with no respite in site. Thanks to God's and not Government's Grace, I was able to get through it all. I'm just pointing out some of the ridiculous laws that get set in motion for lack of logic–and to this day my heart still bleeds for ANY Natural Disaster Victim! Which, of course Sandy and West Coast folks and businesses are desperately in need of better intervention and services for immediate emergency things than they have gotten, yet been promised! Grrrrr!=/:o<3<3 Kitty Sorry folks, I'm still upset about how so many have literally been left in the cold. The disaster comments are realistic and just opened the door–I wish I were able and well enough to be up there now… Kitty (it's really on my mind!)<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm
    • I do not think they are putting down pilings, because they did not move the house out of the way to drive pilings in the ground. Most houses that I have seen rasied around this area are rasied with block with pressure blow out ports put around the foundation.

Todd B on December 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm
    • Thanks for the info, Todd B !

LLColeman on December 3, 2012 at 2:49 am
    • Thank You Todd B !
      I know NC coastal homes that are close to the water, are normaly built on pilings, with open foundations. If you live in the area do you know how deep the water is in the Core sound where this home sits? The deeper the water there, the better for handling storm surge.
      Jim from Expert House Movers said in the lifing video, Diy would be building block foundation walls. It would be cool though if they went with pilings, then Jim would have to come back and lift the house again and sit the house down on it's new foundation, Making For Another Cool Video!

Mel on December 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    • Mel, I've missed your entries on the blog. Hope you had a nice holiday!

DeerSpring on December 27, 2012 at 7:10 am
  7. Mary, Thank you for the updated report. Mr. Eastman certainly has a job ahead of him and the DIY Team. Thankfully they are all so skilled. What ever structural work has to be done I'm sure they will consider the age and details that gives the blog cabin the character it has. I hope they will use the antiques that were in the original home. What a lovely seaside home this will be. I can just imagine sitting in the porch in the early morning, sipping coffee, while watching the sun rise. On the horizon, the local birds fly toward the dock, waiting to catch their breakfast. :) &lt;span class="idc-smiley"&gt;&lt;span style="background-position: -48px -12px;"&gt;&lt;span&gt;&lt;3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;
    What a great way to start a new day!

bythebaydreamer on December 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm
  8. Yay! Thank you for the new information and thank you Mr Eastman for feeding us hungry bloggers!

grammagail on December 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm
  9. Thank you for Mr. Eastman's report, Mary.
    Like the others before me, I agree that a heck of a long list; and, will require a lot of work.
    However, I am sure the DIY team is more than up for this interesting challenge.
    It will be very fascinating for us to see them achieve an undoubtably amazing outcome.
    When will we be able to see the plans for the reconstruction and new additions?
    With so much that has to be done, you have us chomping at the proverbial bit in anticipation.

Lester B. on December 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm
  10. Old homes are always exciting, both in the treasures found and in the challenges they present. Perhaps the deficencies found will lead to opportunities to update with the spirit of the origional building. Thanks so much for the update and please keep us posted.

Leepod on December 2, 2012 at 11:49 am