Nov 30

A Challenging Remodel

Blog Cabin 2013 As Is

Today, I am happy to post our first report from project manager Dylan Eastman, who shares some behind-the-scenes info about the state of Blog Cabin 2013.

When the house was surveyed, structural challenges, including 2×4 floor joists, 7′ ceilings and variances in floor height, were discovered. The porch, kitchen and mechanical room are also out of current construction code; the decision was made to rebuild rather than repair them.

1. The brother of the selling agent remodeled portions of the home in the early 1990s. A gabled roof was installed over the master bedroom.

2. Flooring is water damaged in areas where wind-driven rain seeped under exterior doors. Termite damage is also evident.

3. Several renovations over the home’s 150-year history have resulted in floor level changes.

4. Exterior wood shakes, now interior elements, are clues that both the kitchen and master bedroom were additions.

5. Ship’s ladder-style stairs to the second floor, originally a loft/sleeping space coined “the jump”, are not to code.

6. A second story existed over the main portion of the house prior to the addition of the space over the dining and birthing rooms. This is evidenced by the short slope of the ceiling paneling.

• Posted at 6:24 pm on November 11, 2012

1. Thank you Mary for the Cottage report, sounds like there is a lot of work to be done..I'm anxious to see what will be done with the up stairs and can't wait to see what style of kitchen will be added..Hope there will be more bathrooms added up stairs and first floor. Mary I really hope the screen porches will be returned…So much to look forward to…More, More, More…can't get enough of the Beach Cottage…Love the Camera Cam! Thank you again….

Jennie/Florida on November 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm
  2. Well, we knew that they would find something…….. Boy is that a long list.
    Should be fun to see how the build will keep the warmth and hominess of a 150 year old cabin yet still give us things like stairs that are up to code.

Eugenia27 on November 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm
  3. Sound like a lot of work just like they had for the 2012 BC. New stairs, new floor joists, raising the roof, can't wait to see what they have planned for this 2013 BC and start voting for it.

home_girl on December 1, 2012 at 2:43 am
    • Hi Rhonda, I think you're right, it looks like they will spend a great deal of budget on the foundation, floors, stairs and raising the roof.Termites and water damage through the years…I hope it's solid enough to repair. What money is left should be geared toward more bathrooms, nice size kitchen and screened porches, It would be nice to have a garage but they would have to raise that too…No getting around the water except to build up…Rhonda have you passed by the Farmhouse lately?? I wonder if there is a "for Sale" sign up yet. Josephine said the home would be up for sale January 15th…So sad the winner is selling…I wish Ken could buy the home. He made many trips to the farmhouse and loved it so much, I hope he finds a house close by that will fit his budget and in the same neighborhood of the farmhouse…
      It is a beautiful area….I hope you doing well and hope your business is flourishing…Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    • I hope you are doing well !!!

Jennie/Florida on December 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    • Hi Jennie,
      Alicia said it had a garage and chicken coop there, I don't know if they took them down or they got blown down. Maybe they will put them back up along with the rooms that got torn off when the raised the house.
      I hope they add on a nice big bath room up stairs off the hallway along with a deck off the big bedroom like I mention before. I am sure they will raise the roof too, to make more room up stairs.

I haven't passed the BC since I took the pictures for you all, but I did talk with Carole and asked her if anyone has been there yet? That I would of been there by now if I won it, and this is what she had to say…
      "There has been no sign of activity there at all. The basement light has been on, but otherwise nothing. I , too, would have been anxious to come up and see the place. I assume basic heating has been left on and obviously the power is still on. As you say, maybe they'll come up for Christmas- unless they're waiting for warmer weather. Carole"

I also loved the place, would of filled all my dreams too, but like Ken I could never afford what I am sure the Turners will be asking for the house when they sell it. Maybe they plan on spending Christmas there that's why she said she would sell it in Jan. I am sure Carole will let us know when a for sale sign goes up, if they haven't sold it out right all ready.

home_girl on December 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm
    • nice to hear from you home_girl. At least with this BC we don't have a basement or barn to worry about. Even though I really like barns. I wonder where they will store all the building stuff this year with no barn?

vicki_in_Utah on December 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm
    • hi Vicki
      nice hearing from you too. I am sure they have a storage unit someplace for they needed to store all that furniture and stuff that was left in the home to use when they finish the home.
      I also love barns and love looking at them, all the different sizes, shapes and colors. I loved the one my grandfather had and visiting at my uncles dairy farms.
      Maybe they'll put back up the chicken coop and shape it like a barn. :)

home_girl on December 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm
  4. "They decided to rebuild rather than repair…" Does that mean they are going to demo the house and start over!?

EdinOregon on December 1, 2012 at 3:12 am
    • gut inside and leave a shell ?

LLColeman on December 1, 2012 at 3:47 am
    • Not sure if that's enough LL. With low ceilings, termite and water damage and all the other code violations!:o

EdinOregon on December 1, 2012 at 4:10 am
    • Hi Ed, I hope you are safe in your area from this Wild Storm thats entered the West Coast. It is suppose to last for days…So please be prepared and Hunker down…I have friends in Seattle and they are getting High winds and it's flooding in some areas…Stay safe!!

Jennie/Florida on December 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm
    • Thank you for your concern Jennie. I've been through a lot worse in the past 20 years up here. I kind of enjoy the wind and rain. This 112 year old house has weathered many storms, so I feel safe! :)

EdinOregon on December 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm
    • Hi, Ed. It sounds to me that they are going to rebuild the add-ons. If they were going to demolish the main cabin portion, they would have already done so rather than spending the money to jack it up for the foundation. As old as the place is, I figured it would be a given to replace the joists and floors. It will definately be interesting to see how this developes

Dghawk4 on December 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    • With the low ceiling, out of code, I am not sure how they will do that. Unless they raise the roof and put in new studs. From the past cabins DIY has not always noticed the problems before they start construction. Once they raised the house they had a better opportunity to evaluate the project. I haven't seen any construction on the cabin cam, so I am concerned they are weighing their alternatives?

EdinOregon on December 1, 2012 at 10:45 pm
    • you may be right. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I liked the cabin just the way it was. But if it has rot and termites both. We had dry rot in parts of our building and we had to do some major repairs it was a lot of work. ( but we didn't have the DIY crew with all their workers )

Eugenia27 on December 2, 2012 at 1:40 am
    • This is true. I guess we will just have to hide and watch.:D

BTW, hope you are high and dry and out of harms way. If you could, please send some of that rain East. We are a little bit dry over here.

Dghawk4 on December 2, 2012 at 9:27 am
    • There's plenty of rain here to share! If it makes it over the Rockies, you should be getting a good soaker!

EdinOregon on December 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm
  5. Can't wait to see what they do. Sounds like they have alot of work to do. I know what ever they do will be awsome. Can't wait to see the new floor plans.

Noreen on December 1, 2012 at 3:48 am
  6. Hi Captain Eastman ! ( Some of us have been amusing ourselves with the area's pirate lore). I was not surprised to hear of the damage a wooden cottage like this one has sustained due to proximity to the ocean and exposure to storm systems. No doubt there is lots of work ahead.
    I just watched the repeat showing of the Blog Cabin 2012 wrap-up episode again. Your cameo appearing behind the message center bulletin board is so funny. it was fascinating to see the steel beam being installed to hold up the 2nd floor above the open concept main floor rooms. I have a feeling the same sort of thing will be repeated to shore up this house,…..;)

LLColeman on December 1, 2012 at 3:55 am
    • Aye LLColeman, navigating a new design, along with this cottage requiring so much new construction, it's a great thing to have the tested and always proven capable Cap'n Eastman at the helm, steering this treacherous renovation in the right direction.

I hope the home after all her updating will remain awash with nautical style!
      In the end this cabin will be transformed into a fresh and sturdy coastal retreat, standing high & dry. Truly she will be a safe harbor of comfort for one lucky winner.
      Heave Ho! On Jan 3rd, a thrilling new season of Blog Cabin voting is launced !!

Mel on December 1, 2012 at 11:05 am
  7. Thanks for the heads up Mary. Since the decision has been made to rebuild rather than repair, is the same layout of the cottage going to be used? Are we going to be presented with new floor plans to choose from? Will a change be made to go to a ranch style rather than a two level house? I too like Jennie am hoping that a wrap around screened porch will be included or else a wrap around all season porch with windows to enjoy the beautiful view. It did come to my mind when I originally saw the photos that the codes for today would be a problem. Seeing those ceiling so low, I invisioned myself like Alice in Wonderland LOL. :-) I am sure whatever DIY chooses, this will be an amazing journey for us all. Thank you Mary.

Heading South on December 1, 2012 at 10:05 am
    • Heading South good questions. We know for sure the rebuilt portions of the home will be the kitchen, porch, and mechanical room. I believe the rest of the home will be a gut and total redo. I can't see DIY going to the cost & trouble of lifing this home, to then tear it down. The home can be treated for termites, and the wood that is rotted can be replaced. With updated mechanical systems, wood walls, ceiling & floors needing to be replaced due to rot, hurricane & energy efficient windows needed, new facade, etc… in the end it will be very much like new construction. Will we see DIY use wood cladding on the walls and ceilings or another material? I really like whitewashed wood for this home.
      I'd like to see them keep the home a two story, just popping the roof for additional height, and building a staircase that meets code. With the added height you'll get even better views from the second floor. I don't think cabins call for formal spaces. I'd nix the dining room and opt for a eat in kitchen design. Nix the birthing room too, since us modern day ladies perfer to do our birthing in a hospital. In the end it will be gorgeous!

Mel on December 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    • Mel good points made, especially concerning the birthing room LOL :-) With the termite issue, I think the severity of it will denote whether DIY or not to gut out or tear down. From Mary's blog, it seems to me that the decision has been made to tear down. I may have read it wrong. I am hoping that they will go with a nautical theme inside and out. I am hoping that DIY will engage us more in the choice process, as we had been in the earlier Blog Cabins years.

Heading South on December 2, 2012 at 7:44 am
    • Ha ha Heading South, I was hoping someone else would see the humor of a "birthing room".
      They do appear to be delaying moving forward with the foundation for some reason.

I couldn't agree more about the choice process. Each year I find myself hoping they will draw inspiration from the blog. It's nice to see an idea hashed out here on the blog make it's way to the reno. Validates the whole process, and all of us bloggers hard work!

Mel on December 2, 2012 at 9:06 am
    • There's nothing in Mr. Eastman's blog about about tearing the house down. He's quite clear that the rooms already demolished will be replaced and the rest will be, as Mel says, a complete "gut and total redo". DIY must have done a full structural survey before purchasing (to not do so is ridiculous if they paid $500,000 for the property) so the rest of the house must have 'good bones' otherwise paying tens of thousands of dollars to raise the house only to demolish it doesn't make sense.

Certainly, nix the 'birthing room' but how about a sewing room instead? :)

Anniesown on December 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm
    • Excellent points, Anniesown.

LLColeman on December 3, 2012 at 2:29 am
    • Anniesown, good point and you are so right, it would not make sense to pay thousands of dollars to raise the house only to demolish it. However, my thought was that after their assessment of the structural damage they may have found additional problems after they raised the house. Just a thought :-) I am wondering when we will start to see some action on the cam camera showing the progress of this redo. In the mean time I think I will go out on the dock and cast my line out for a catch. :-)

Heading South on December 3, 2012 at 11:23 am
    • Don't fall through the missing planks!!! ^_^

EdinOregon on December 4, 2012 at 1:40 am
    • EdinOregon, thanks for the warning! :-) LOL

Heading South on December 4, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • o.0 I agree, that could be the case, so sad. :( But I've got my tackle, be the shortly, Heading South! :D B) :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm
    • there

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    • Good idea–Or, a computer room/study/library, with lots of good book cases and a big old lounging chair that turns into an extra bed for guest? :D B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm
  8. Dream home in a dream location! Can't wait to see what they come up with to enhance the home while maintaining the history!

Beach rtrmnt dream on December 1, 2012 at 10:49 am
  9. From the Nov 1 blog photo , "Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy," it's clear that the front porch, kitchen and mechanical room, along with the two chimneys, were torn away from the home before it was "air-lifted."

As Mary's current blog comments point out, it's interesting to see the white (and now once again exterior) shingles where the previously added-on kitchen was removed. While the main core of the home remains, it's clear that there's going to be plenty of major renovation going on, in addition to fitting a new kitchen into the structure. The upstairs renovations are certainly going to be a challenge as well.

Oh well, who better to jump in and handle all the hard work than the folks at DIY. Our job will be a lot easier — we get to offer our suggestions, critiques and commentary, submit our votes on the various People's Choice options we're given to choose from, then debate the merits of the results from the comfort of our own homes.

Yep, I prefer to let the pros do the toughest work. I wouldn't have it any other way! Now, let the games begin, DIY. We're ready, willing and chomping at the bit to do our part to get this reno on track….

DBCoop on December 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm
  10. Some very nice antiques in the pre-construction photos, pie-safe etc. Were these acquired along with the real estate?

William Pritchett on December 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm