Nov 16

Your Man on the Ground

Blog Cabin 2013Dylan Eastman examines the original Blog Cabin 2013 foundation after the home is lifted.

Hi all and happy Friday!

Pretty soon, we will begin coverage of the Blog Cabin 2013 remodeling process. Starting the week of November 26, project manager Dylan Eastman will offer up regular reports from the home site and, in late 2012 or early 2013, we will launch our “Remodeling of Blog Cabin” package on HGTVRemodels.com. It will be packed with behind-the-scenes details: how we handled the home’s many additions, made allowances for harsh coastal weather conditions and more.

So pull up a seat and plan to stick around — tons of photos and exclusive details are just around the corner!

• Posted at 3:38 pm on November 11, 2012

1. Morning all. If (or when) you win this wonderful cabin, you may have trouble understanding what the locals are sometimes saying. I just found this video, which is actually taken from a program on the dialects of the Outerbanks. Very interesting, plus it gives insight to the people and the area.

Dghawk4 on November 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    • Too bad that video doesn’t have closed caption. I did get “hoy twoide” was “high tide” as for a lot of that was said….. I didn’t understand. I will defiantly need to indoctrinate myself to the local dialect if I win. I did notice if you don’t TRY to understand what is being said and just listen to the cadence of the speech, it is musical.

Eugenia27 on November 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm
    • I know what you mean. If you watch the video a few times, it' a little easier. If I were lucky enough to win, I think I would be saying, "Excuse me? Could you repeat that?" a LOT!xD I understand the dialect of Tangier Island, off the coast of Virginia, is harder to understand than this.

Dghawk4 on November 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm
    • If you are used to hearing an accent you don’t hear the accent.
      When I was a kid people use to tell me that my mother had an accent. I honestly never heard it, not until I moved away and was on my own for a year or so. When I came back to visit I couldn’t believe my mother had developed an accent in my absence.

Eugenia27 on November 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    • lol ;)

LLColeman on November 24, 2012 at 3:00 am
    • I didn't think I had an accent until I recorded the outgoing message on my answering machine and played it back. xD

Dghawk4 on November 25, 2012 at 11:37 pm
    • Hi Dghawk4, that's funny because I did the same thing and I asked "who is that person on the machine!" I didn't realize how "Southern" I talked until then.That has been some time ago… Being from Alabama, I thought that was normal…Since I've moved to Florida I found out different, but I think my accent has calmed down quite a bit, I don't get asked where I'm from anymore…I do have friends I grew up with in Bama who come to visit and when they talk it's so funny and I tease them and say "I'm glad I don't talk like that"..their good sports and just laugh and say, You Did.!!…Well it's Bed time…can't wait to hear what Mr. Eastman has to say tomorrow!!!! We get our first report from the Cottage!

Jennie/Florida on November 26, 2012 at 12:56 am
    • Hee hee hee! Been there too, Dghawk4! Grew up in Brasil, being bilingual from toddlerhood. Majored undergrad, English & Spanish, so regional linguistics has always fascinated me, including what you posted! It's great! I used to work in the film and TV industry where my English had to be very cosmo/neutral, even though most of my work and roles ended up in the South, where I have lived my adult life. I can recall as a young adult visiting my Mother's New England Family, about 1969, and overhearing my 3 much younger boy cousins arguing with their dad that my Mom and I MUST be hillbillies (we did live in Alabama at the time, where Mother was a graduate university professor) but I never realized I spoke Southern, Ya'll!!!;):pxD<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 26, 2012 at 9:47 pm
    • Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it. Didn't have much of a problem understanding it. You hear all kinds of dialects around here.

Cathy M on November 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm
    • I took Dghawk4’s suggestion and listened to the clip several times. I was able to understand most everything. ( at least I think I understood)

Eugenia27 on November 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm
  2. Looking foreward to seeing the transformation of this home. There is so much work involved behind the scenes and I love watching what happens.

Faith on November 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm
  3. Wow, It's almost December! I can't wait to see what the next few months will be like as the blog cabin is transformed into a weather tight structure, safe from the wrath of Mother Nature. DIY will be sharing the updated plans with all of us in the near future. So exciting! Can't wait to see whats next….:)<3

bythebaydreamer on November 26, 2012 at 3:19 am
    • Ditto, Bythebaydreamer! I'm chomping at the bit! :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm
  4. I noticed this morning on the cabin cam that the ladder is gone, and the screen door is closed. So someone has been there. i hope theystart on the fondation today or soon.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2012 at 10:13 am
    • Hi Vicki, I just took a look, the front screen door is closed but the Front Door is opened…I wonder whats going on!!! Can't wait to hear from Mr. Eastman..I hope they don't make us wait toooo long to get an update!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    • They took the ladder away and closed the screen door a few days ago. Do not know who did it but no damage to the house as far as I can see. Hope it was the contracter and not someone who got a free ladder. LOL

Pat Green on November 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    • Hi Pat, I wonder why the front door is opened, I don't see any trucks there???

Jennie/Florida on November 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    • Hi Jennie, Wondering the same thing. Did not see anyone on the camera. Hope it is not a burgler or a leftover pirate! I also hope that the antiques are out of the house and stored securely somewhere. Pat

Pat Green on November 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm
    • Oh good thought Pat, I hope they have removed all those nice antiques.

vicki_in_Utah on November 26, 2012 at 6:45 pm
    • Hi Vicki, surely they would take everything out before raising the Cottage just in case something went wrong with the lift…They have to remove everything anyway to renovate.So I'm thinking they packed all the goodies and furniture and moved them to a safe place…
      I love the furniture and the Antique pieces, also all the Nic-Nacs. I think it was the Master bedroom where I saw the white dressing table with the 3 mirrors. My Mother had one just like that when I was growing up, but it was oak, they had painted this one white….it can always be stripped back to its natural color, but light wood looks better for a Beach Cottage,
      I think.!! I hope we get updates Sooon!!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm
  5. I can hardly wait for everything to begin, Hey Kitty I read your wish list for bedrooms, bathrooms and color. I second all your ideas. I really really hope that this is as spectacular as we are envisioning it to be. The location is incredible.

flashy on November 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    • Hi Flashy! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving time with Loved ones and Friends! BC2013? It IS an incredible location! And I can't wait till things get underway, though DIY doesn't usually really jump in until January. Phooey! We're left to our own imaginations for the time being. This is when we do our storytelling–got the great Pirate's tale and Party Barge last week. Super start! And this is when we can really dream. I had quite an elaborate pavilion designed and described for last year's BC in ME down by the waterfront. Well we didn't get it, but it was fun turning lose the imagination. The bedrooms and bathrooms are really important in a vacation home, because one tends to get lots of company. The colors…well, I'm glad you like them, Flashy! Perhaps this house has a better chance of getting them, since they did buy it with all its contents and I can see color themes among the collectibles. :) They just happen to also be among my favorites too. HEE HEE! :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm
  6. This will be the first BC that I plan on participating with. I have been a fan of the show for many years and have LOVED all of the choices made by the participating bloggers. I have been following the 2013 BC since its announcement and I can't wait till we can start voting on how it will be designed.<3:D

Tina on November 27, 2012 at 11:29 am
    • Welcome aboard, Tina.

NancyBee on November 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm
  7. Lets get this wagon train rolling Mary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxggb4wrBs xD

Rowdy_ Yates on November 27, 2012 at 11:37 am
  8. Can't wait!!! Was hoping there was something new here today.

ceddinger on November 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm
  9. Looking forward to watching the progress as it takes place. I like the looks of the original house and am sure I will love the new house. For some reason I felt an emotional bond to the place when I first saw the picture of the original house.

Gammie on November 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm
  10. This looks like a great project !! could it end up being somewhat modern without losing the charm of the region. Can't wait to get a look.

Reno on November 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm