Nov 16

Your Man on the Ground

Blog Cabin 2013Dylan Eastman examines the original Blog Cabin 2013 foundation after the home is lifted.

Hi all and happy Friday!

Pretty soon, we will begin coverage of the Blog Cabin 2013 remodeling process. Starting the week of November 26, project manager Dylan Eastman will offer up regular reports from the home site and, in late 2012 or early 2013, we will launch our “Remodeling of Blog Cabin” package on HGTVRemodels.com. It will be packed with behind-the-scenes details: how we handled the home’s many additions, made allowances for harsh coastal weather conditions and more.

So pull up a seat and plan to stick around — tons of photos and exclusive details are just around the corner!

• Posted at 3:38 pm on November 11, 2012

1. Just imagine, this coastal jewel will be some lucky person's new home this time next year. Just in time to gather their family for Thanksgiving dinner. What a thing to be thankful for! <3

bythebaydreamer on November 19, 2012 at 5:09 am
  2. Hi Everyone, I have only blogged once before in all these years, but this blog cabin 2013 just melts my heart. I look at cabin cam every morning and then move out toward the dock and just imagine myself sitting on it fishing (I hope there are fish and no contamination). Okay, now I don't know if everyone is in agreement, but for decor and design of the interior, I would like to put in my 2 cents worth. When I see the before photos, I am reminded, not only of vintage cabin, but coastal decor. Please can't we just this time have cabin vintage meets coastal chic. How about a combination of both. I would so much like to see a beach feel to this cabin. It's on the ocean, not in the woods. Of course I welcome replies, but I sure hope someone out there would like the beach and coast feel integrated into the design. (Oh, and the addition of a bathroom upstairs. Can't forget that) And another thing – plenty of storage, ie., closets, cabinets, etc.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone, Linda in California

Linda on November 19, 2012 at 9:33 am
    • Hi Linda in California, I grew up in Topanga Calif. just a few miles from the beaches. I agree with you on the decor. Of all the remodles, before, I like this one the best so far. I hope they keep alot of the charm of this cabin.

vicki_in_Utah on November 19, 2012 at 11:14 am
    • Linda I agree with you. The cabin needs coastal chic touches, updates and layout changes that support uncluttered, low maintenance living. The banner at the top of this page shows the Carolina blue sky meeting the water of the crystal coast, it's perfection!! Can anyone improve on that type of natural beauty? I don't thaink so, no you try to bring that "look" inside.
      The beaches of the southern outer banks and outer banks, the close by National Sea Shores and barrier islands are some of the most unspoiled beaches of the east coast. The beaches are pristine. Many of these areas are protected for the local wild life, and migrating birds. It will be a great and safe place for you to fish!

Mel on November 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    • Linda
      I could not agree more. We bloggers did mention that a beachy decor, feel, beach cottage decor would be welcome. Let's hope they are listening. This place just has that feel. I like you can picture myself sitting on the dock and fishing,etc. What a dream:)
      One thing I saw repeated-I said it and I think Clive mentioned using one of the fireplaces and making so you can enjoy inside and hoprfully on the new porch-that would be sooo cool:) I alos requested a porch swing:):) This place has soooo much potenial.

ruffybc on November 23, 2012 at 9:06 am
    • I agree with you, Linda. I liked the way it was already decorated. The problem is that most of the people voting do not visit the blog much, if at all. I've changed my votes over the years by the input from friends on the blog. However, those who don't read all of our nuggets of wisdom seem to push things in a different direction. Thanks for joining up this year.

NancyBee on November 27, 2012 at 10:13 am
  3. With the recent blog comments about the infamous Blackbeard the Pirate, some in-depth research has brought to light yet another little known piece of history about North Carolina's wealth of pirate lore and buried treasure. Could it be that our very own Blog Cabin plays a part in the Crystal Coast's fascinating past? You'll have to decide for yourself as to the veracity of local folklore. Keep in mind that often what's not said can be as revealing as what is when it comes to stories handed down through the generations. While I'll let you decide for yourself, I wouldn't hesitate to trust DIY's Blog Cabin fans to keep a long-held secret.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm
    • THE GHOST SHIP OF THE GENTLEMAN PIRATE
      Atlantic, North Carolina

Aye mates, it's no secret — there are plenty of tall tales about pieces-of-eight and rich treasures from storm-tossed shipwrecks still to be heard along the coastal waters of North Carolina. Just as tantalizing are the stories of millions of dollars in buried loot left behind by summarily dispatched pirates that once roamed the seas preying on heavily loaded Spanish galleons. From Money Island to Shell Island, they say that fortunes remain to be discovered, and surely the rumors must be true, for threading through the southern Outer Banks from Beaufort, past Atlantic and on to Ocracoke off Pamlico Sound, the shifting sand bars and powerful Nor-easters proved deadly to many over-burdened ships.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm
    • Our story, however, begins in the month of April 1718, for that is when the young David Bradford Robertson, at the age of 19, set out from his North Carolina home, knowing only that he must make a life for himself. His family's land had been taken away through deceit and bad luck. His mother was recently deceased due to worry and disease and his father, old, impoverished and in failing health, had turned to drink when loans against the property could not be repaid and their homestead had been taken away.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • David promised himself that one day he'd return and take back the home and land his father had lost. Despite the family's penury, he committed himself to rise above every obstacle. He was remarkably well home-schooled thanks to his mother's devotion and was a bright, quick-witted boy who had grown to manhood, by necessity, at an early age.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • As he wandered the territory over the next several months, he was able to use his skills to find temporary employment wherever he went, but he knew there was much more he must accomplish in order to keep the contract he had made with himself. So it was that, upon hearing the tales about Blackbeard the Pirate's vast riches and buried treasure swirling about each of the small coastal towns he passed through, David's mind was set to thinking and soon a decision was firmly made.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    • Experienced in the ways of the sea, David set a course for Ocracoke, where Blackbeard himself was rumored to hideout when not on the high seas. He was well aware of the perils, yet it was the path that must be taken.

True to his word, within the month, David had become an irreplaceable member of Blackbeard's fearsome lot of pirating scalliwags — but to the rowdy crew of Queen Anne's Revenge, David was known by the name of Daniel Beaufort Cooper, or simply D B Coop, and by folks living along coastal North Carolina and beyond as "the Gentleman Pirate" for his educated manner, neat attire and well-trimmed beard as well as his generosity to those in need, be they fellow pirates, captured sailors of French and Spanish ships or down-on-their-luck locals.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • Being himself young, strong, and hard-working, David was nonetheless all too familiar with the chains of poverty and the overwhelming sense of hopelessness which prevailed among the poorer classes. Though he was determined to escape its grasp, as a fair-minded lad, never was he prone to judge those who for lack of a lucky break, or even the failure to seize hold of the smallest opportunity, had failed to improve their lot.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • As fate would have it, only three short months passed, on November 22 of 1718 to be precise, before Coop's sharp mind and bold spirit were put to the test — yet the events occurred with little warning, and so quickly as to take everyone, including Coop, almost completely by surprise. For on that day, Lieutenant Robert Maynard from HMS Pearl, sailing the sloop Jane, engaged the fearsome pirate Blackbeard in a bloody fight –a fearsome battle that ended with Blackbeard's death and his ragtag crew's surrender.

Since the pirate's flagship Queen Anne's Revenge had sometime earlier been run aground, it was the Adventure which had been besieged by an overwhelming force of well-trained British soldiers and upon which the brutal career of the fearsome Edward Teach, Blackbeard the Pirate, was finally put to an end.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    • Word spread quickly about Blackbeard's demise, but strangely enough, history tells us little more about the Gentleman Pirate, Daniel Beaufort Cooper, aka D B Coop, who was never captured, nor, it's said, was any sight or sign seen of him alive again. It was whispered that he had been killed in battle and fallen overboard, his body never to be found, and so it was that the legend of the ghost of the Gentleman Pirate came to be.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    • Local folklore was full of such haunting tales about Coop's disappearance. Many claimed to have seen his apparition single-handedly sailing a lonely ghost ship in the dead of night between the dark and treacherous coastline and the Outer Islands, often near Drum Inlet and within landfall of Atlantic, North Carolina. These stories were often told with a twinkle in the eye and the hint of a smile.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    • Less than two years after Blackbeard's epic and final battle, in early spring of 1720, a now confidant and clearly well-to-do David Bradford Robertson returned to be close to his former homestead. As promised, David had made his fortune in short order, and soon after arriving in the small community of Bath, he married and set about building himself and his beautiful new bride a comfortable home on land which he purchased along the shores of Atlantic, NC. David built on to the old Robertson family cottage that was still standing, more than doubling its size, and a handsome and comfortable home it became.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    • With his sloop Tesoro earning good income from trade between the new colonies to the north and south, David and his wife were well-known and widely respected throughout the region, yet his largesse to the sick and the less fortunate was truly remarkable even for a man of his considerable business skills, but certainly no questions were ever asked.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    • Happily, the Robertson's lived a long and full life, contributing a great deal to the local economy. Upon the elder Robertsons' deaths, their three sons and two daughters, followed by many more Robertsons by birth and by marriage, kept up the family homestead for generations to come, until finally the home was reluctantly sold. The kindly new owners, conscious of the history and proud legacy of the old cottage, immediately set about a thorough renovation. The Robertson's old home was renewed, revived, and fully ready to serve as the comfy and cozy gathering place for a new family — and many years of joyful memories to be shared within its sheltering walls.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    • As for Blackbeard's fabled buried treasure, it's said that the exact location was never discovered. Could there possibly be some pirate's loot buried somewhere around the completely renovated beachside cottage of the Robertson's? Perhaps D B Coop would have had a few words to say on the matter — were he ever to be seen in the flesh. The truth shall likely never be known.

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm
    • That is, unless the Ghost of DBCoop comes forth and wins the historic Robinson land and cottage… Only he would have seen it all, the battle to end the brutal Edward Teach's command of any unlucky ships that then sailed 'tween Virginia and the Carolina Outer Banks. Only the sly Coop would still know the secret tidal waterways which would take him back—back to where only memories would show and a shovel would render–that which Teach could never touch again–that which, perhaps, the grapes ore'shadowed, while playful generations plucked such fruit unawares, while greater seed on Core Sound was beneath them!^_^:p;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    • Ah yes, if DBCoop were to win the Atlantic Blog Cabin, that would indeed be an example of truth being stranger than fiction!

Until then, I'll continue singing my favorite tune — "Yo ho, yo ho, it's a pirate's life for me…."

DBCoop on November 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm
    • Alas, Pepe, Blackbeard's 308 year old parrot and trusted companion, has given up many secrets. Did he tell the spot of the famed treasure? Hmmm, only a few would know. Could the treasure be somewhere along the banks of the North Carolina shores? Perhaps along the banks of the historic Robinson land? Blackbeard and Pepe could tell. But are they the only ones? Are there others, perhaps less known pirates, whose history could disclose the secrets of the riches….Only time will tell…"Yo ho, yo ho, its a pirates life for me …" <3

bythebaydreamer on November 20, 2012 at 3:36 am
    • Aye. And I bet he would never tell.;)

Dghawk4 on November 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    • LOVED your story DBCoop!
      I've always wondered what the DB stood for, two of my guesses:
      Distinguished Buff—-Coop—OR
      Debonair Brilliant——Coop

Thanks for sharing, I know your story took lots of research. I don't know how much effort it is for you to write, you do it so well. Great writers expend minimal effort, and reading it takes even less.

Mel on November 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm
    • I've watch those 'ghost stories' on t.v.; do you think there could be some residual hauntings in the B.C. ?? LOL !!!!

gremol on November 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    • If there is…. at least we know who to call.

Eugenia27 on November 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm
    • DB
      Hold that story! I have to get a refill of popcorn! I don't want to miss a morsel of this tall tale:) I also made a note to self-go out and get a metal detector!:)LOL! If I win I am checking for sure first under that grape arbor! I can't wait to hear the next installment! Great story Thanks I love it:p

ruffybc on November 23, 2012 at 9:22 am
    • Imagine what the crew might find as they dig for a new foundation…..

LLColeman on November 24, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • Just think what a pirate looking for treasure could do to your foundation. LOL

Eugenia27 on November 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    • LL
      I can't wait to see the treasures they find in this treasure of a home:) Like I said if I win I would bring a metal detector with me. I would imagine that there are things buried around the home-all to be searched out and discovered:)

ruffybc on November 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm
  4. Can't wait for this to begin. I get the feeling this little cabin is going to be everyone's favorite. I know it's mine.

pam on November 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm
  5. Hello everybloggie !! Just taking a break from getting ready for Thanksgiving to drop in & see if there is anything new !! Cleaning house & starting my prep work for. I truly hope everyone has a Very Happy Thanksgiving & count the blessings that they have !!!

gremol on November 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm
    • Gremol, same to you ! Enjoy your wonderful family, and I hope you will be feeling better ! <3

LLColeman on November 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm
  6. OK, Every Bloggie, this is really overdue and should have been part of our 2012 DIY BC Blog. It was, however, such an integral part of our discussions that , when I found it, I thought, in honor of a most fun blogging year last year—here's to all of you who were there!!! Especially to Bloggie Girlfriend, Ruffie, who longed for one of these with such a passion…Finally, I found you 3! Enjoy, 'cause you won't see 'em in Atlantic, NC. ( May have to copy and paste into address bar–Good luck and enjoy–Goodbye Maine!)
    ;) :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm
    • Correction: that's RUFFY–so sorry! :$<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm
    • lovely video..(and of course it puts me off any idea of people making moose stew or roast, etc. ). I shared it with my older son and grand kids on Facebook.
      P.S. It is entirely possible that ruffy will be able to coax a moose or two onto her Party Barge for a ride to NC, LOL

LLColeman on November 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm
    • Kitty, I loved the video. I have had a moose in my backyard, but never a mom and her twins! Thank you for posting this.:)<3

bythebaydreamer on November 21, 2012 at 11:05 am
    • My pleasure, Bythebaydreamer! I have sure appreciated your thoughts, prayers and notes to me–such wonderful encouragement! Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving! ^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 21, 2012 at 2:44 pm
    • Kitty, Thanks for the video. Watching kids play in the sprinkler is a joyous thing, regardless if those kids have 2 legs or 4.

Eugenia27 on November 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • LOL, Eugenia, I literally had fun watching those 4-legged kids play in the sprinkler! They not only drank the water, but they figured out the swivel and followed it back and forth. Even mom joined in! :) Here's wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, with all the Blessings of Family and Friends and the Wonder of all the bounty that God has provided! xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm
    • Thanks for the wonderful video. I don't have moose, but I have been watching whitetail twin fawns play in my front yard off and on this year. Of course with the hunters now in residence next door at the hunt club, they have moved back in the woods. I haven't seen much of the big 8 point buck, Bubba, though.

Thanks, again and hope you and all of yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Dghawk4 on November 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm
    • Hi, Dghawk4! Being in Virginia and not that far away from you, I get the deer and fawns too–no moose here. You must be on acreage, since you have a hunt club nearby. I'm in a neighborhood, yet my place backs up to woods so I still enjoy nature and my dear deer! :) Have a wonderful, blessed and safe Thanksgiving Day and Weekend too. Thanks for your encouraging well-wishes for me also–they mean more to me than I can express!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm
    • Kitty
      Hope you & family had a joyous Thanksgiving?:) OM Goodness this is just the cutest video. I guess all kids are the same when it comes to water and esp sprinklers. I love it:)<3
      The only thing missing in that yard is a Slip N Slide! And what a good mommie she took advantage and turned fun into bathtime:) Smart!
      Are there moose in NC?
      Thanks for sharing this-I am going to share with my daughter:) she will love it!
      Take care Kitty:)<3 God Bless

ruffybc on November 23, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • Hi Ruffy, here's hoping you had a great Turkey Day too! Oh, I hadn't thought of the slip 'n slide–that would've been hilarious! I don't believe there are moose in NC, but I was thinking of you, when I posted. Remember how much you wanted to see moose up in Maine, but none showed up? When i found this family of three I knew you needed to see it! LOL! B);):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm
  7. I look watching the process of creating the cabin,can't wait to see the finished product!

Donna Warren on November 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm
  8. I can't wait for the next update!

Jessie Wrede on November 20, 2012 at 10:51 pm
  9. Happy Thanksgiving fellow bloggers!

bythebaydreamer on November 21, 2012 at 11:07 am
    • The same to you and yours, bythebaydreamer ! Dream on !

LLColeman on November 22, 2012 at 5:57 am
  10. I am new to this and looking forward to the improvements and hopefully a chance to win a home by the ocean !!Loved last years blog home!!

Jerry Thompson on November 21, 2012 at 1:27 pm