Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. The interior of the original was so beautiful and the screened in poarch needs to be restored in new remodel keep all the charm of old interior with the new updates I can't wait for more

Karen Goff on November 4, 2012 at 11:34 am
    • Also needed are the screens on the windows and doors as the summer evenings are often cool enough to open the windows and save on energy.The screens are needed to keep the mosquitoes from devouring you.

Moving2theCoast on November 5, 2012 at 11:27 am
  2. Holding on to tradition and heritage is important to the long time residents of Atlantic. The following
    is a trailer from a documentary by Neal Hutcheson called, "Atlantic", and a NC Folklore link featuring
    highlights of the Core Sound. Neal Hutcheson's interest in linguistics in the Ocracoke area and his
    previous work with recording traditions of North Carolina led him to making this documentary.

DeerSpring on November 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm
    • Thank You DeerSpring for those links. I enjoyed seeing how self-sufficient, and resourceful the folks of the Core Sound are. A part of what makes this area so appealing to me is the absence of coastal over developement, commercial and residential. There's a focus in these small coastal towns of carving out a simple life that provides your necessities, and sense of purpose, that doesn't tread heavily on the natural beauty of the environment. I Love that!
      There seems to be a growing trend in the US to return to a simplier lifestyle. I'm a NC mountain girl married to a NC coastal guy. I know the local mountain & coastal folks of NC know how to live off of the land, and be respectful of nature.
      That's what the winner of the BC will be able to do too, if they chose to live there year 'round. … Or they can enjoy an amazingly peaceful place to vacation.
      I find both options Mighty Appealing. I don't think I can even express how much I already want to win this home!

Mel on November 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm
    • Mel, the video emphasized the sense of place and belonging the residents feel about their little
      corner of the earth. I think that's another factor that plays in their decisions about what they
      focus on in everyday life, too. That's the same feeling you get from looking at the interior of
      the home and how it was decorated. I think a coastal guy and mountain girl have the best of
      two worlds to appreciate, Mel!

DeerSpring on November 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    • Thank you for the wonderful links DeerSpring! I took a quick look but will be back when I have more time to fully explore. <3

SID on November 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm
    • You're welcome, Sid. I'm still exploring!

DeerSpring on November 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm
  3. Wow!!
    That was absolutely amazing!
    Thanks for a great video.

Mary,
    Will Sandy inspire any changes in power back up and high Hurricane rating construction levels, as alluded to in some of the comments?

Lester B. on November 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  4. Mary thank you for the video, and like other bloggers have said it was great to see the Expert House Movers back on the job for this cabin. DIY you've got the reno off to a great start, lifted & waiting on a new strong foundation.
    Can we talk cabin traits, since this years reno is a real cabin? I'm talkin' shared cabin characteristics.
    Porches—cabins call for them! Porches that are covered by a roof, and a portion screened.
    Layout—nothing formal, just a great room that allows for lounging, cooking and dining flowing from one to the other. Cabins don't need big foyers. Mega Dens space with this size home = too few bedrooms.
    Ample Storage—This home is in a remote location which means pantry and upper kitchen cabinets! Bedrooms with closets. Decor that can store. Built-ins, don't forget a closet for linens, blankets, etc….
    Cabins should be comfortable, relaxing places that support their activity-oriented location.
    Please select finish materials with a nod to the nearby water, sand and "Carolina blue" sky.

Mel on November 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm
    • Excellent suggestions ! Thank you, Mel. i know the windows will be larger to take in the view, and layout most likely will see changes. A screened porch is really a necessity –and several bedrooms ! B) :D <3

LLColeman on November 5, 2012 at 3:07 am
    • Nodding my head to your entire comment. Maybe MegaDens and HouseCrashers can collaborate on the living room. I think a pantry will certainly be a necessity. A fish cleaning station with running water would be very nice, too.

MGYinSC on November 5, 2012 at 6:41 am
    • Very good Mel, I know with our cabin the kitchen is bigger then the living room, and we use the kitchen more, pluse have a out door kitchen in our screened in porch. In a ramote area you need lots of places to store food, since you can't run to the store for every little thing.

vicki_in_Utah on November 5, 2012 at 8:44 am
  5. How cool is that, you sure can't say you don't know about the foundation, that is like jacking up your car to check it out!! Now that's the way to look underneath the easy way!! Mr Jim is always such a nice man, we miss him DIY!!!

Bea~NC on November 4, 2012 at 8:01 pm
  6. I live right down the road about a mile from the cottage, I'll be keeping an eye on the progress…:)

Valerie Nelson on November 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm
    • Hi Valerie, Glad you found us, please keep us updated as to what is going on. But with the cabin cam this year we wont be in the dark like we were for 2012. But happy to hear from you anytime.

vicki_in_Utah on November 4, 2012 at 11:11 pm
    • Valerie, It will be great to hear from you and how the progress is going. Thank you.<3

bythebaydreamer on November 5, 2012 at 12:07 am
    • Valerie, thank you for writing on the blog. What a beautiful area !

LLColeman on November 5, 2012 at 2:28 am
    • Valerie, thanks for popping in. Is the Blog Cabin on the northern side/southern side?

I have been using the Satellite images to try to locate specifically the location of the Blog Cabin.

Trish on November 5, 2012 at 11:10 am
    • 448 Seashore Dr. Atlantic, NC 28511…I posted it a couple threads ago. Hope that helps!!

MGYinSC on November 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    • I've not been able to keep up with all the posts. Thanks for putting it back up.

Valerie, thanks for the info.

As I view the map of this area, there are several areas that have my interest and respect for the community's preservation of the area. You must be proud of your homes location. : ) Sounds gorgeous!

Trish on November 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm
    • My husband said it's on the south side, the water out front is called Styron's Bay.. The house is also across from our beautiful Outer Banks. It took a little beating in the storm, but it's a great place to visit if you love the ocean,shelling, or just taking in the sun..^_^

Valerie Nelson on November 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm
  7. Wow I have been gone for so long…but I really love the location of the 2013 home…NC baby!!

Was the winner of the 2012 home a blogger?

maria_w_in_nj on November 5, 2012 at 10:00 am
    • I think I heard she did once in a while but not a regular. Glad you are back Maria_w_in_nj. Did you fair ok with Sandy? We were worried about you. Oh I heard NJ had a earth quake too.

vicki_in_Utah on November 5, 2012 at 11:28 am
    • No, she never blogged before winning, however, she did blog to thank people for their good wishes. Also, she (or someone using her name) blogged that the house would be going onto the market on Jan. 15th 2013.

Anniesown on November 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • WOW ! What a relief! I'm glad you are OK. I was really concerened when you said you weren"t going to leave your home. I hope you fared well?

Dghawk4 on November 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    • maria, a good number of us have been worried about you !! welcome back ! was your home affected by the hurricane ? my relatives in n. central NJ still are without power, but their homes are ok. <3

LLColeman on November 6, 2012 at 2:53 am
    • Great to see you back Maria !
      Take care! Blog when you can, and for sure come back to vote Jan 3rd.

I can't believe the location. Total score for DIY – and one VERY LUCKY winner….

Mel on November 8, 2012 at 10:24 am
    • Maria Jersy girl!
      Glad to see you are OK:) I hope you did not have any or much damage and all family is fine. I cannot believe what this storm has left behind:( I have talked with a few of my relatives in Lakewood-no damage there.
      I have been having issues with Intense debate thingy so I am not seeing all comments:(
      Glad you are back-we have another home to re-do it should be fun this is a beauty!
      Talk soon-God Bless:p<3o.0

ruffybc on November 13, 2012 at 11:04 am
  8. Great video! One of my first thoughts upon seeing next years cabin was that it looked too low for the intense weather we have now. Good to see that will no longer be a worry. I was also concerned about Sandy's impact on this location. So glad that they took such great precautions in case Sandy decided to make landfall there. I'm excited to see just what plans they have for the renovation.

Moving2theCoast on November 5, 2012 at 10:38 am
  9. Bedrooms. bedrooms, bedrooms! Can't have enough of them when one lives on the water. Everyone whom you've ever known will come to visit. Even the couches should be sleepers and daybeds on the porches will be used. I live on Lake Erie and one time 24 people showed up for the 4th of July. We even set up a tent on the beach! Love this location and the beautiful old home. Pat Green

Pat Green on November 5, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • True, but plenty of bathrooms are also needed for all those people. I'm hoping they will split the smallest bedroom upstairs (labeled #5 on the floor plant) into a bathroom for the upstairs and closet space for the bedroom labeled #4. :)

Moving2theCoast on November 5, 2012 at 11:11 am
    • Beds & Baths !!!

gremol on November 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm
    • Three of each (full baths, not powder rooms) plus an outdoor shower would suit a house of this size and location.;)

Clive on November 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm
  10. As a firemans' daughter I would like to see a sprinkler system for piece of mind 24/7. Does anyone else feel this way? Fireplaces,cook stove,candles,or a forgotten teapot can ruin a great time at the beach. I suppose the cost may be hard to justify when you consider the worst may never ever happen.But to look up at the sprinklers as you lay down to sleep is peaceful. We lived in an apartment when our kids were very young. I completely spaced out the hardboiled eggs when we were playing and came back inside to a complete mess when the teflon smoke filled the rooms .Exploded eggs were everywhere, the fish died ,but I opened the windows and patio door fast and got out until the smoke went away.The sprinklers did not activate because my neighbor was able to hear the smoke alarm and I was back before flames or heat -Scary -,just nasty smoke. Perhaps the blog cabin design hosts could fit sprinklers into the decor…how I don't know….

FarmhouseRecipe on November 5, 2012 at 12:47 pm