Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. Please:
    Bring back the screened in porch
    Bring back a working fireplace
    Switch electric stove in kitchen to gas stove
    Thanx! :) You do such a wonderful job!

Sunny on November 3, 2012 at 9:17 am
    • Agree!

Susan on November 10, 2012 at 12:49 am
  2. So that's how they do that! Very interesting. Wonderful choice for the 2013 blog cabin. Exactly what a beach cabin should be.

Kazwell 4444 on November 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm
  3. Fabulous location – Sandy is not the first or last storm to affect this beach property and it has survived quite well, all things considered. The video showing the lifting of the home was fascinating. My compliments to the skilled, knowledgable team that executed this essential movement. My wish for this beach property is that the character of the home be kept in tact. Cedar shake weathers well, is attractive and very "beachy". The interior photos showed the charm that was developed over time. Please consider native plants when landscaping, that can do well without constant irrigation. Solar energy and backup power for storm situations would be a plus. Screened in areas to enjoy sea breezes with the benefit of no bugs a plus as well. I am very excited to see how this property realizes it's new life. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Candace on November 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • Yes…totally agree! Native and edible landscaping would be a great bonus!

MGYinSC on November 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Solar power and/or back-up power, a must have. Another must have would be the screened in porches.

Eugenia27 on November 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm
    • Agrees totally!

My curiousity got the best of me. I scoured the maps and satellite images to locate the exact location. I noticed all the trees around this cottage. It appears this would be on the northern side of Atlantic, NC. Correct/incorrect? If it has a northern exposure, is it more protected from hurricanes?

I'm learning so much from this blog. Jim, I'm so thankful to viewing the lift process. I no longer have to refer to the homes as being on "stilts" as I once did when I saw elevated homes along the Gulf coast.

Thanks to DIY for allowing us those lessons. It was DIY and HGTV where I learned and shared with others about solar energy backup resources with others. And…as I like add…encouraged my hub to get them for our home. It really DOES give some peace of mind in knowing we have them.

Trish on November 5, 2012 at 11:05 am
    • I looked it up yesterday on the county map ( I live & work abut 20 miles from Atlantic)
      It has a Southeastern exposure. The waterfront is on Styron Bay which is part of Core Sound.

DawnK1 on January 11, 2013 at 11:07 am
  4. Wow that was amazing! I'm glad nothing happened to the house during Hurricane Sandy. Can't wait until the voting starts:)!

Wanda on November 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  5. Wow! Great video and it's so amazing to watch how they saved this old home from possible destruction. Amazing job guys…

jonais46 on November 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm
  6. Wow its nice to see they are starting with good foundations! I'm glad it stood up to Hurricane Sandy and came through like a charm! :)

James on November 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm
  7. Beautiful sunset this evening at the Blog Cabin 2012 site. :D

Don't forget to set clocks back tonight. One more hour in bed tomorrow morning. :)

Clive on November 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm
  8. Great video. Can't wait to see more.

Noreen on November 3, 2012 at 11:50 pm
  9. Is Jim and his group the same people that do Haulin' House? I use to watch that on diy, but now it is on at 4:30am so I don't. But I llike that show a lot. Thanks Mary that was fun to watch.

vicki_in_Utah on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 am
  10. I'm very happy hurricane Sandy left the DIY BC 2013 home intact, but it's hard to see and realize the damage this superstorm did to many parts of our east coast. Many are not faring so well in the wake of this storm. Continue to keep those affected by Sandy in your prayers, along with the first responders and the folks that will be needed to rebuild communities that have been devastated.

If you need a distraction from Sandys' aftermath (or the presidential election) and want to learn more about Cape Lookout National Seashore, this is an excellent link. This is a national seashore park that lies close to Atlantic, NC http://www.nps.gov/calo/photosmultimedia/podcasts

Mel on November 4, 2012 at 9:18 am
    • Thanks Mel, that was very intersting. We have wild horses (mustangs) in So. Ut, I didn't know there were any in the East. Seeing them run by the ocean is great.

vicki_in_Utah on November 4, 2012 at 10:51 am
    • You're welcome Vickie. Wild horses really are beautiful to see.

Maybe one day Scripps will return to Utah. Southern Utah would be great with it's three National parks.
      I have a co-worker who goes west every vacation. Her dream is to retire early, and be a park ranger in Utah or Arizonia. Her eyes actually shine when she talks about either state :)

Mel on November 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm