Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. Hoping some of the homes original furniture pieces can be integrated into the renovated version.

SMG on November 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    • Without modification

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  2. glad to know the new blog cabin is ok! I think it's amazing the way it is,after diy is done it's gna b absolutely fabulous!

smurf on November 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm
  3. Mary, Wow, what a place DIY has found ! What makes this place so special is the fact that it hadn't been "disturbed". The house, the grounds, the furniture, and the treasures on the shelves and walls, all there giving meaning to what this house was and can be in the future: a coastal retreat. A place to calm the spirit and soul. Please integrate the furntiure and these treasures into the new plan of the house. They are what will help maintain the history and make it a comfortable, cozy home; a calm haven near the harbor. <3

bythebaydreamer on November 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm
  4. I am glad to see that you guys did such a great job lifting this and that everything is safe from the storm! I am on the east coast myself and luckily the storm bypassed us. I love this home just as it was with the old charm but I am glad to see it being restored!

Brittany on November 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm
  5. Raising the house – they made it look sooooo easy!

babs on November 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm
  6. That was an amazing job they did raising the cabin. DIY is so good at what they do!! Planning, protecting, upgrading , safety issues, the whole works! Glad to hear the storm passed this area and everyone around was safe. You guys are the best!

pam on November 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm
  7. It is great to see the work from the start. I love renovating

twelchtnt on November 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    • Me too. My husband doesn’t understand why I watch so much DIY network. He figures we already lived it, why watch it? After working on this place for the last 20+ years (he thinks we are done) there are still a couple little things I’d like to tweak.
      I LOVE RENOVATION. Opps, sorry about yelling I just got excited.

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm
  8. I was happy to hear that Jim Matyiko strapped the home down and built a sand berm around the house, before the storm hit.
    Thank you Jim.

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2012 at 7:14 pm
    • Hi eugenia, Your Mom Is Beautiful, I wish I could put a picture of my Mom and Dad here as well. This Home looks really special for another lucky winner and I'm sure They will do a great job on the reno as always. ( well, most of the time). I'm still waiting for this house to sell, but have most of the place packed up. My brother invited us to Vegas for a lobster dinner and a nite on the town, they too were raised back east. We are looking forward to it. I have wonderful neighbors that will watch the house. Hope you are doing fantastic, it sounds like you are. Take care Eugenia, and God Bless You.

11241224 on November 3, 2012 at 9:48 pm
    • I’m glad you were far away from the storm. You should have a great time in Las Vegas.

Eugenia27 on November 4, 2012 at 7:30 pm
  9. Beautiful location for the new blog cabin! What a great view to enjoy while drinking morning coffee or a glass of wine after dinner. I'm glad to see it safely raised to new flood level requirements.
    I hope they keep the down east style in the reno and bring back the screened porches and rebuild the pier too, I can see great times fishing or canoeing with family and friends. Can anyone tell if the arbor has scuppernong grapes growing on it? If so I hope they keep it as part of the new landscaping.

lia on November 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    • lia, thanks for identifying the arbor. I was trying to figure out what it was. And if there are grapes….even better!

Trish on November 5, 2012 at 10:58 am
  10. That was so cool. Wow. The expertise needed and the time and patience. That was really neat. Thanx for sharing and glad all that hard work stayed in place. Unbelievable. Cant wait to see more :)

rhonda on November 3, 2012 at 12:03 am