Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. I think the house could use a little more work. To be precise, I'd break out the heavy duty power tools and put in as much robust support beams and buttresses as possible.

Jesse Sealy on March 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm
  2. I love cabin it is right down the road where I grew up I would love to live out my days where I I used to play along those shore lines you are doing a great job with this place

sheri hayostek on March 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm
  3. Very interesting Vid! Beautiful location and home. I can't WAIT to move in! :D

south47th on April 13, 2013 at 4:18 pm
  4. It will be God's Gift to the winner of this home whom ever it may be. God blessed this house when it belonged to the Robinson Family of past generations. God blessed this house with the people who are using their knowledge and talents to restore and rebuild it, and soon it will be passed onto the lucky winner for many generations to come.
    It would be nice to see some of the cedar shake shingles used on planter boxes or maybe a fort for boys or a playhouse for girls made from the material from the old cottage. :)

Babs on April 29, 2013 at 8:33 pm
  5. I cannot wait to see the finished product . I am imagining a wrap around porch and all kinds of goodies . Fishing poles . Nets all kinds of things even a row boat. That warf has me dreaming of early mornings and nights jus sitting there watching the sky . They are doing a good Job ! I clap my hands to the carpenters and designers . Their hearts must surly be healthy because of the work they put in to make others hearts happy.

drdonnaa7 on May 26, 2013 at 9:36 am
  6. I am waiting to see the finished product. The 90 minute tours going to wild. Just dreaming about the walk through will be good for me , trying like all the rest to wait on HGTV to reveal the smart home winner, everything now is at a high point of excitement. I really like the Ca 2014 dream home too ! Log cabin experience at it best looks like to.

drdonnaa7 on June 23, 2013 at 4:34 pm
  7. That is very cool, thanks for sharing this! I was looking at house lifting in NJ and I think something like this is pretty cool! I have a friend who had his done up in the northern part of the state and he couldn't have been more satisfied with the work they did.

jcarter5752 on June 26, 2013 at 10:03 am