Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE: :D

Jimbo on January 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm
  2. It was wonderful to see the lifting of the home. I love that we are getting to see each stage of the home's renewal.
    I saw in a few of the other comments people talking about backup power for the home. A better choice over solar panels and a gasoline generator would be to have a backup generator that runs on natural gas. It would automatically kick in with power loss and there is no reason to store gasoline that can be dangerous if not store properly. I would hope that since this is a coastal home, a backup generator would be in the list of priorities!

RReneaSmith on January 11, 2013 at 6:03 pm
  3. whoa! That is amazing!

biessy on January 12, 2013 at 12:49 am
  4. This house will be something to see in time elapsed transformation video

Mac on January 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm
  5. Just started this week keeping track of the Blog Cabin 2013. It really amazes me at how you can remake something in such poor condition. I look forward to seeing the cabin transformation as it progresses.

Doreen on January 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  6. This is just awesome, I can hardly wait to see the finished "Blog Cabin" !! Love the floor plan, it is wonderful

Bonnikir on January 13, 2013 at 2:29 pm
  7. Fascinating!

Jo-Ann Wolsky on January 14, 2013 at 11:47 am
  8. Now that the voting has been in swing for a while, I think I see the final vote results.
    The winners will be the current leaders at or near their current percentage of the votes:
    1) interior paint color palette= Coastal Cool @ 56%
    2) exterior siding color, pattern, & layout= Straight Edge Shingle in Light Mist with Arctic White Trim @ 39%
    3)roof shingle style= Timberline American Harvest @ 44%
    This pattern and % of votes have held pretty steady for two weeks.
    How much longer do we have for this round? I am curious about what we'll b voting on during the next round.

sokalady on January 16, 2013 at 1:28 pm
  9. Just joined the party this weekend. I am disappointed that the original building was so far below code that it could not be salvaged. You can tell from the original pictures and the history that it is a home that was built onto out of need and with lots of Love. I hope that even with the mostly new construction you can capture the quaint ocean side beauty of the original. I agree with a couple of the other posts that the porch area should be screened. I look forward to giving input on the rest of the project.

Blaise on January 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm
  10. The loss of the ships ladder is unfortunate, ocean side cottage and the tie to the seafaring folk. Although I can see where it would probably be an issue for many to navigate. I do wonder how they got the furniture into the upstairs area? Did they move it in through a window or did everything upstairs break down small enough to get through the ladder opening? Makes for some interesting contemplation. :S

Blaise on January 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm