Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. It's amazing what they can do with those jacks and good ole fashioned know how. I thought the cabin was so charming and had such personality. I hope the renovation will try to keep that intact as much as possible. The antiques were amazing. Are they going to be able to live in the refurbished cabin?

Lisa Boyd on January 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm
  2. My husband originally built the dock for this house!!

Ann Joyner on January 5, 2013 at 12:05 am
  3. This is an amazing project! I am simply fascinated by the whole thing. I await each and every phase of this renovation. So engrossing.

Mrs. Ashley on January 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm
  4. This is such an amazing process and so glad it exists as we did it to our home…a little freaky watching your investment creak its way to the sky. Glad this place is being reborn. Thanks

mgs on January 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm
  5. A latecomer with a late comment, actually two:1) the Master Bath is almost as big as the kitchen…point is, give the kitchen more elbow room for multiple helpers, especially when doing dishes!!! And a window to the outdoors over the sink…please… 2) Keep the house raised…heard it's about a foot above flood level…I think having a second floor "first floor" is appropriate, considering rising sea levels and super storms…put something that can be "destroyed" or "flooded" on the lower level…thanks for listening.

Aus Matern on January 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm
  6. Amazing work! :)

elfie on January 9, 2013 at 1:55 am
  7. from what I saw about this house when it is finished it will be a outstanding home for someone I hope it is me .

E C Rhoten on January 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  8. Well this is a cute cabin. I did not get into the last diy home I was very busy. But i think i like this one and got on in time to vote. Will be keeping up on this one.

lmbarshaw on January 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm
  9. I hope they plan on adding a screen porch. N.C. has a lot of bugs near the water

J. Williams on January 10, 2013 at 2:09 am
  10. The decision to replace the framing was a good one, it's nice to see that they are very conscious of the fact that the house is only as good as it's weakest point. I applaud their flexability to fix and improve a situation that arises during the construction. This is going to be a beautiful house in a beautiful location

Jimbo on January 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm