Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. That was awesome! I've seen a historic home move, but always wondered how they got it on the trailer. Living in the south, flooding is a big issue on the coast. If they are going to keep the cabin at that height, they need to make sure the HVAC/heatpump systems are also at the same level. I've seen homes on the coast that the owners cut cost and left it on ground level and paid the price during a storm surge. Looking forward to the start of the new cabin.

Bryan143 on December 28, 2012 at 8:14 pm
  2. So glad that this house was able to stand up to the storm. Great job everyone!

Patrick Dillon on December 29, 2012 at 1:31 pm
  3. Didn't hear it in the video, is the new foundation above flood level and is there a crawl space?

jkzerb on December 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm
  4. I had a house on the beach once and went through this process of lifting it… That was many years ago and I see that lifting a house has come a long way. Good thing….. my house eventually washed into the ocean and I miss it. This looks a lot more sturdy — what a fascinating process!

spiritualchocolate on December 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm
  5. this is going to be a great project they bought the cottage furnished! This will have great stuff to pick from for whomever (Victoria Please) gets to do the decorating! And this is a great video and they got it done before Sandy! I can't believe it's where it is and it will be great for whomever wins! I like this one lots too, just like everyone else. Maybe it helps to see it furnished before hand. Thanks Mary for posting this video as well as the last photo slide show.

minitoni on January 1, 2013 at 11:45 am
  6. I have an old computer so its slow which works well for me so I'm a little late watching this video. It was fastenating and I noticed the beams used as years ago my Dad placed one like that under our family home and it still holding the old homestead up in Watkins Glen, N.Y. I'm what they call a yankee import here in North Carolina but like it here and would love a permanent home here like the one you're renovating. It is interesting to watch the work. Continue the good job and may God bless this home.

margaret berry on January 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm
  7. where is the blog cabin location this year what town in North Carolina?

Emily on January 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm
  8. where is the blog cabin location this year what town in North Carolina?

Emily on January 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm
  9. I know everyone will do a great job on the restructure of the blog cabin as well as the foundation. I am excited as i watch all the changes.

sandra holley on January 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  10. It's so easy to see by the photo's that this is a keeper…beautiful views, and alot of memories kept this home intact after weathering for so many years….I'm truly amazed at Jim's handiwork for the prepping of Hurricane Sandy…..brilliant idea and it came just in time to make changes to the home for future severe weather…it was definitely built to last the hands of time…..good luck with the renovation….it will definitely be worth it's weight in gold!

Cynthia Waldron on January 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm