Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. Link to news announcement page at Roby website: http://www.andrewroby.com/news/45/The_DIY_Network

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    • So it sounds like Chris Grundy is going to be the host again. I wondered if that was true, or if they just hadn't changed the list of people from last year. So I guess the same people will be working on BC 2013. I was hoping for D& D to come back O well.

vicki_in_Utah on November 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm
    • Vicki, I'm right there with you on wanting Dean & Derek back on the Blog Cabin payroll.

I don't agree with the decision of replacing D&D —— two Very Talented stone craftsmen (Masons Extraordinaire) with the skill levels they've demonstrated on Indoors Out and Rock Solid with the new version of Yard Crashers featuring a general contractor as a landscaper.

Mel on November 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm
  2. That was good timing on lifting of the house and preparing! I cut down a trees that had been struck by lighting just in time also! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this DIY project!

Elaina on November 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm
  3. I have explored Andrew Roby's website and in the portfolio is an absolutely gorgeous colonial renovation but not exactly 'primitive'. The challenge for them will be to satisfy the majority that have called for the primitive antique beach cottage to be retained while updating to codes. That is not an easy task to achieve. To the designers – please rescue the Conch Shells by the cedar trees and decorate with them! According to Alicia they were gathered by the families and brought back from their trips to the outer banks. what a treasure! I would hate to see them destroyed by heavy equipment!

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Hear hear !

LLColeman on November 15, 2012 at 12:37 am
  4. It would be nice if they took the house back a few feet away from the marsh, but I can tell whatever they do its going to be fabs.

maxi2 on November 15, 2012 at 2:16 am
    • If you look carefully at the shots of the dock you can see the cabin is way back from the marsh. There is even a ditch between there and the marsh that would catch some excess overflow. It looks like several hundred feet from the front door. The mowed green grass is a good indicator of the usable yard.The tree line out front is a good sense of where the true marsh starts. I'll see if I can find the old ariel view and post the link so you can see how far back the cabin is set.

grammagail on November 15, 2012 at 9:52 am
    • Thank you for the info i will give it a try, and i'm very sure this will be a great place to live.—

maxi2 on November 16, 2012 at 7:26 pm
  5. I've spent a few minutes looking at the floor plan and wonder how food got from the kitchen to the dining room during inclement weather. It would appear that there will have to be a door cut into a wall to open that area to the common part of the house; otherwise, the master suite will be a massive three room affair.

The second floor may still support three bedrooms and a bath by removing walls and reconfiguring the space. From the photos, it would seem that the room at the lower left corner of the plan could be close to the final size of the rooms, leaving enough space for the bath, even if the stairs are expanded to include a return with a landing.

DGustaf on November 15, 2012 at 9:04 am
    • Hi Don, my big concern for the upstairs is we will see a Mega Den installed up there, losing a bedroom, needed storage and the hope of a full bathroom.
      I believe you are right on the mark about the stair space being expanded. I like the original size of this home. It's a great manageable no fuss cabin size, but I'm fearful fitting in a Mega Den will eat up needed sleeping and storage space.

Mel on November 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm
    • Hi Mel, I agree with you, don't need a den…since this is a Beach Cottage, maybe she can do a Mega Porch…I'll go for that, how about you???

Jennie/Florida on November 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm
    • Jennie, this location is perfect for outside living! The BC having a safe from flooding, raised porch living space is Carolina coastal at its best.
      I've seen Anitra & crew tackle spaces other than a "den". I remember her doing an outside theater once. Yep, If the the show features outdoor electronics, her sponsors should remain happy.
      Maybe Anitra can do a Mega Porch!!

Mel on November 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm
  6. Even without regular updates, this year it will be so nice to have the web cam to see the beach and the house on a daily basis. I'm glad they decided to put the cam in.

flashy on November 15, 2012 at 10:31 am
  7. I have relatives & friends with places along the NC coast. I hope you guys will be leaving the house on "stilts", or some sort of foundation that will lift it well above ground level, so it is not threatened by 'normal' hurricanes & storms that come into NC almost yearly.

Ben on November 15, 2012 at 2:23 pm
  8. That was very exciting to watch Thank you.. cant wait to see more building going on with the new Blog Cabin

Pooh59 on November 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm
  9. Dear Mary, could you Please brighten up "Our day" with some New information—maybe the Revised floor plans to get us started visually on"our" dream Cottage makeover? A New Thread would be good too.. Thank you so much for installing the Camera Cam to view the BC Cottage and land in full screen! It's
    great to view the grounds and enjoy the Fall colors that are appearing around the property…We can tour
    the grounds and dream of how we would update this Cozy Beach Cottage and landscape the beautiful grounds..Curious to know if anyone gathered the Pecans when they fell and didn't leave them to rot on the ground….That would have been a lot of Pecan Pies!!! Thank you Mary for all that you do, We know that you are busy and we appreciate you! Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on November 16, 2012 at 11:27 am
    • I love the cabin cam, I hope they put in one on the inside like BC2010, but I am most likley asking too much. So I will be happy with the outside one.

vicki_in_Utah on November 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    • Hi Vicki, Hope you are well…Did your area get snow earlier this week? I saw it was snowing in some parts of Utah…Vicki I think we complained soooo much about the "Cam" (that didn't work half the time) last BC, they decided they better do something different this time and I'm really enjoying the Cabin Cam and the180. I really don't think they will add Cams inside, but it would be great if they did….Don't you just love looking at the beautiful property? The water is so nice….Lot of trees and shrubs…Great setting for this Cozy little Cottage! Can't wait to see Her grow!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  10. I was doing a closeup span of the property and was able to see a variety of f birds on tree branches, in flight and on the ground near the beach area; the unobstructed view of the ocean. The beauty and peacefulness that can be enjoyed on this property is priceless. Whoever wins will be blessed.

RitaANewYorker on November 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm