Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. I am enthralled with all the crew have done to save and restore this 1892 beach house. I enjoy watching the videos & the TV showing the progress always saying how the themes & products were decided upon – viewers opinions/choices. Wow! What a novel (& successful) idea. We'd love to win this beach house…especially since we're retired and love vacationing in Maine…and are facing the probability of moving in the near future. This would be THE perfect solution for us.

Nana'dea on November 13, 2012 at 2:04 pm
  2. I just looked at the pictures that were originally posted on the BC. Every time I look at these I think what a great house ! I love the house, the character of the rooms, the furnishings, and of course the location. I hope DIY will keep the character and furnishings and just make changes that are necessary.What a great yard for a seaside garden! I can see this home being the best Blog Cabin yet! can't wait!:)<3

bythebaydreamer on November 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm
  3. The crew performed a most incredible feat. The weather patterns have changed drastically and, as those in the Gulf region have begun doing, it's best to place homes on a solid foundation of concrete pilings. They could always put on a weather-proof, pressured-treated wood or stone facade. You have to meet each challenge as it presents itself. Home ownership…aaah!

MomGrandma on November 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm
  4. Very impressive! Those men moved/lifted that house up as if it were a bag of groceries! Insane!

Thank GOD "SANDY" did not destroy any more than she already did & left our" BC 2013 alone".

StellaF on November 14, 2012 at 1:43 am
  5. At 9 am two workers arrived at the BC. Activity again this morning! Great to see!

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 10:14 am
  6. Thef General Contracting firm of Andrew Roby seems to be on site.

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 11:13 am
  7. There is a red pick up at the BC on the Cabin Cam. It is way over at the right side.

vicki_in_Utah on November 14, 2012 at 11:21 am
    • That pick-up belongs to the general contracting firm of Andrew Roby based in Charlotte. If you use the zoom on the cam you can read the name on the door of the truck. Here is the link to their website: http://www.andrewroby.com/

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    • Thank you grammagail, for Andrew Roby's web site, it is great. Have I mentioned that I love the cabin cam? Yes I think I have.

vicki_in_Utah on November 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm
  8. I like the interior of the house as it was. It seemed very nicely decorated and comfortable. It needs some TLC on the outside and it would be nice if DIY fixed the dock but this is a great house now.

NancyBee on November 14, 2012 at 11:33 am
  9. Awesome!!!!

ceddinger on November 14, 2012 at 11:52 am
  10. I really like the new Cabin Cam. It's so versatile. Will we be fighting over which way to look at any time? lol

NancyBee on November 14, 2012 at 11:57 am
    • As to fighting over the cam I got a' camera is busy, try again' message this morning which means the traffic on it is increasing. Just click again and it works.

grammagail on November 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm
    • Oh, that's funny! Never thought about all of us standing in line to manipulate the cams! HAHA! Better than no cams, like last year! :) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm