Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. Thank you for posting the video. I'm so glad the new bc was unscathed in the storm. I can't wait to see this cottage shape up, it will be amazing.

Sheila on November 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm
  2. Gorgeous sunset on the CabinCam right now! Who wants to join me on the dock for a virtual glass of wine? :D

MGYinSC on November 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm
  3. So much fun to return home from a few weeks sailing the high seas to find that neither Hurricane Sandy nor that nasty nor'easter were able to deter the folks at DIY from making their appointed rounds in Atlantic, NC — and getting our Blog Cabin off to a ground-raising start.

Looks like this coastal Crystal Beach cottage is destined to continue making history for many years to come.

DBCoop on November 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    • welcome back to home base…please let us know how your trip was.

LLColeman on November 12, 2012 at 2:05 am
    • DBCoop, Welcome back to land. Hopefully only fair winds to follow.:)

bythebaydreamer on November 12, 2012 at 3:23 am
  4. It is great that Blog Cabin was lifted in prep for the storm. It is too bad that there aren't the people or resources to have lifted all the homes to safety that were effected by the storm.

Grace on November 12, 2012 at 1:29 am
  5. Kitty, I am sorry to hear of your health struggles. May you be embraced in God's love through your surgery and healing. I've been reading your posts for a long time now and I've admired your kind and gentle spirit toward all the bloggers. You're so positive and compassionate, truly a loving person. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and am looking forward to seeing you on the Blog again soon.

Peacefurpets on November 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm
    • :) My heart overflows with gratitude to you, Peacefurpets, AND, to scores of my dear Bloggies from these past 2 years, as well as from several of you new dear ones who have become part of our DIY Blogging Family!! I don't know what to say for all the wonderful words of encouragement, prayers, kindnesses, comments on the content of my blogs and your consistently wonderful outreach towards me, when I've been having to lay low due to some serious health challenges. That part continues to be an elimination process, so tomorrow I go back for further procedures , more biopsies, should anything else be noted. Yes, actually, my docs think I'm on the side of , let's just say "unusual" because whatever symptoms I have don't fit into little square boxes , and if it's anything rare, that's probably going to be my diagnosis—harharhar! :) I'm in great spirits, and tomorrow shouldn't be too complicated, but will determine the next step(s) which could be very much so. I do appreciate prayers from those who are comfortable with it. I take care of an adult disabled child who has no alternative, so my prayer petition is for positive results so I can continue my responsibilities as I am needed. My medical team has tried to prepare me for worse results than that, so If God wills–I'd like to hang around. But I am not afraid and have great peace and a wonderful, encouraging hubby, and a relationship with a Gracious Lord God.. So, Peacefurpets–you were elected, based upon your wonderful words of encouragement— AND, your post was rightly at the center of this current thread, so I hoped more readers would catch my post. Thank you for indulging me! If all goes well, I'll be home tomorrow to convelesce. Hospitals use these revolving doors at the foot of the recovery room beds nowadays. Chief nurse makes rounds, says, "you're done!" and a spring flings the patient into the revolving out cubicle, as the nurse approaches the next recovery bed… I'm sure I'll be popped on one of those and hope to be lucid enough to report back to the Blog tomorrow. Love and appreciation to all my Bloggie Friends!!! xD;)B)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm
    • Kitty, I pray your doctors are blessed with the needed wisdom to provide the best possibe treatment plan for you. Your blogging friends want you to have a quick recovery!
      Your optimistic outlook and ability to be humorous when you don't feel good should serve you well as you convelesce. (laughter is the best medicine)
      Knowing you as a person who possesses wit, wisdom and a spirit of generosity towards others I only ask that you turn your focus inward and put yourself first right now. Be a good patient. If the doctors say take it easy—–find a way to do that.

Mel on November 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm
    • Good Morning Mel, Peacefurpets and ALL my Bloggie Buddies! :D UPDATE on procedure!
      It's the "day after" and, thanks to all your prayers and good wishes, everything went very smoothly, I feel OK, can't feel any internal places where biopsies were taken–actually–I feel great! Again, I am so very grateful for all your generous kind wishes, prayers and encouragement. And Mel, I'm trying to listen to you, NC Girl, and be a good patient. Not ready to run wind sprints yet, so I won't try.

I am so into this new BC! It oozes potential and I'm lovin' the consensus to keep it simple as a NC Beach House should be, rather than a jazzed up mega boom boom electronic contraption. I do hope to see expansion upward, within the footprint, so there will be ample bedroom AND BATHROOM space upstairs. I also really like the idea of 2 bedrooms downstairs, including the Master and PLEASE–a POWDER ROOM and/or make it a 2nd downstairs 3/4 Bath, at least!!! Vacation places always have lots of extra visitors, which means there are facility needs. Huge Eat-in or combined Kitchen to large dining room, Please!? I believe that I saw a salt based water softener in the now-removed utilities' room. I used to have one. These are only so good as the size of your reserve tank! Gotta' be something better by now? Please, a Generator and Air conditioning an a working fireplace are all necessities here. I live on the coast of SE Virginia, and ice storms or nor'easters, more than snow storms or even hurricanes put power out, often for days, my last one was 11 days. Had to cook on the fireplace, transfer fridge stuff to back deck and wrap ice and snow around to keep safe temperature, haul buckets of water from pool to flush toilets–here, could use the Core Sound water, but you get the survival picture. Have to think ahead! :) :pxDB)<3 GEE it feels great to blog! WHOOPEE!!! :D xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    • GREAT to see you back on the blog and hear you are doing OK Kitty :)
      Wind sprints will come……..in time!

I love your energy for this project, and reading your Many great ideas! Keep 'em coming. DIY needs our help!

Mel on November 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    • <3<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 17, 2012 at 2:08 am
    • Kitty, It's so wonderful to see you back here so soon. I have had you on my mind so much and have lifted you up in prayer continuously these past few days. I hope your medical team can find the source of your health issues. I'll continue to pray for you. From so many blogs I've read here, you have many friends here that care about you personally and also value your opinions and ideas on this blog. I really like the idea of a Generator considering the location of the cabin. I'm really looking forward to the development of this project. The family that previously owned it preserved special memories there and it sounds like DIY will try to respect what that family invested into the land and house. Take care and keep us posted on how you're doing, ~Sue

Peacefurpets on November 17, 2012 at 3:11 am
  6. "Wow! that was an amazing.." I want to say that, but I can't view the video. I'm really curious right now please fix the video as soon as possible guys.

Christian Muck on November 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    • The video works fine for us window users. I am sure it is your operating system that can't read the video.

EdinOregon on November 13, 2012 at 12:49 am
  7. Good morning all. I just took my first look at the new BC and am impressed with the bones of the place. I'll be back again when I have a bit more time to "study" the plan. I do like the idea of lifting the structure above flood level; that will save any future owner a lot of heartache and worry during storm surges.

The house had a pretty good footprint, and I wonder what the future of the kitchen will be now that it appears to be gone. Looking forward to some friendly debate on the subject.

Later.

DGustaf on November 13, 2012 at 9:39 am
    • Nice to see you back Don. I too wonder about the kitchen and the final layout of the house?!

EdinOregon on November 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    • Hi Ed! I think this layout will change considerably. Since the house began small with a basic couple of rooms, it has all the markings of a gut and rebuild, I think. I just hope it will keep its simplicity and beachy feel. What are you thinking?:pB)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm
    • Hi Don ! I was waiting to see whether you'd had a comment on the finished product of BC 2012….but I think you are one who prefers the construction process more ?

LLColeman on November 14, 2012 at 3:10 am
    • You would be correct.

DGustaf on November 14, 2012 at 10:31 am
    • Hello, LL! Thanks so much for all your encouragement and prayers! I have been thinking of BC 2012 and feeling sad for it. Daydreamer Ken described it as seemingly closed up, overgrown and uncared for. How sad! How Ken loved that place, especially. There it sits, forlorn and abandoned to the market. Wonder why it isn't already on the market? To sell in 2012 would be better, taxwise, than 2013, my hubby said. He should know. He's an expert tax and Estate Planner….:$:|
      Much love to you! ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm
    • Hey Don! It is such a wonderful thing to see you back and posting on our Blog! I've missed you! We were all so happy when you finally got that job–I hope things are OK there. Your creativity and knowledge of construction has been missed and it's good to have your input again! I think your instincts on the kitchen are right on–it's way out of the way and should be built connected to where the dining area will be and, I personally feel, connected/open. On another item, I'm hoping that the screened porch can be wider than 6 ft. Mine is 6ft. and that barely leaves space for the rocker and seating. Frequent rains by the shore, necessitates having space for entertainment for kids of every age….:D;)B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm
  8. Great webcam. The lifting of the house was great!!! I agree. This house has great bones and the setting is awesome. Couldnt get much better. The lifting was great, but, hurricanes like Sandy are not an uncommon event in NC. This home will need to be prepared for regular beatings by hurricanes. Hope that is being taken into consideration. Watching this process will be awesome. Love NC coastal. This touches my heart.

ceddinger on November 13, 2012 at 11:06 am
  9. On this morning's stroll in the rain around the property and perhaps to allay some of the boredom waiting for new information about the cabin I noticed a couple of things I had not seen before. To the left of the unused pile of crib work lumber is a small PVC U shaped thing in the ground. Can someone enlighten us as to what that might be? Also to the left of that at the base of a tree is a tripod apparatus that I thought might be a surveyor's or camera platform. Just two items that got the curiosity going here.

grammagail on November 13, 2012 at 11:41 am
    • grammagail, Funny you mentioned that U shaped PVC, I too was wondering about it and thought perhaps it's the lid or air vent to a septic tank. I don't see a sand mount near by and because its close to water I believe they may have tanks that would need periodic cleaning out. I'm not sure :-)

Heading South on November 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm
    • Septic tank went through my mind but it seems way too small for that. It might be related somehow, though. It could be a small vent they placed on the old septic system? Hoping someone will tell us. Sometimes they don't realize the smallest details are fun to hear as we watch from afar.

grammagail on November 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm
    • Hi Headed South, I noticed that PVC also and was wondering what that was. If it is the lid or air vent to a septic tank, I would hope that would be somewhere on the back of the property and not up front to be viewed and smelled..plus flooded by the storms….I haven't seen a well for the Cottage either….I don't know if there is a well or maybe city water??? We haven't been privy to the backyard yet…also I was wondering if there is underground power lines because I haven't spotted any power lines or post! I guess in time we will get all those answers. I wish they would get started, love to see some activity…. I would love to see the revised floor plans…I wonder what they are waiting on…F/P's would keep up busy for a while…Don't mind me, I'm just getting anxious to see some progress being made!! We all are so ready for this new Journey…Mary…. are you reading our comments?? Please could we see the New Floor Plans???

Jennie/Florida on November 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    • Jennie, there is a temporary power pole out back near where the driveway comes in. The zoom on this cabin cam is great!

grammagail on November 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm
    • Hi Jennie/Florida :-) I'm with you…..getting anxious to see some progress or even just movement. Grammagail mentioned that she saw a bobcat, so I think I'll go and investigate! I was wondering if they are going to decorate the interior with all of the antiques left in the cottage. I do think that the septic system would be of great importance in this project. If there is a septic system, how old is it? To install a new septic system would take a big chunk of the project's budget. So I am thinking that since the property is close to water, that there are tanks which are cleaned out periodically.

Heading South on November 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm
    • grammagail, I posted a reply, but it was not accepted ? I'll try again :-) At any rate, I too wondered what the pvc pipe was for and I thought perhaps a septic tank vent. Being close to the water they usually have tanks that require periodic cleaning. I don't see a sand mount close by so I would think it's for the septic tank. Not sure…

Heading South on November 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm
  10. Heading South,
    Got your first and second reply. Click on the number of replies to my original post and it will give them in a list.
    There is activity right now. Someone with a Bobcat or similar small bucket digger is working on the far side of the cabin. You can see him if you peep under the house.

grammagail on November 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm
    • Yeah…. there are workers at the BC!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    • grammagail, going to look for that Bobcat, I'll peek under the house :-)

Heading South on November 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm
    • LOL! It came out front so you didn't have to "peek". Watched it take the berm down and watched three more people arrive and survey the scene. It was a really active day at BC. Think I identified some faces but won't say because I am not entirely sure.

grammagail on November 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm