Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. The work you have done is simply amazing!!

Diane on November 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm
  2. Wow, this looks liks a Good One. Question Beach front and Flood level. the New area under house?, what are you going to do with it? storage area, under house shaded deck are?

Rober on November 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm
  3. Fascinating video. These guys really know their stuff. Like everyone else, am anxiously awaiting the first entry day.

Dianne on November 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm
  4. O.K., we need floor plans or some tid-bit to keep us going !! All the HGTV/DIY blogs are 'dead' !! Would love to have something new to dream on !!!

gremol on November 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm
    • Hi gremol, I agree!! I asked Mary for the floor plans a week ago…Floor plans come next, Right? I'm so anxious to see what changes they have made and keeping my fingers crossed the porches have returned…
      Gremol, I'm so sorry that your surgery didn't relieve your back pain…There has got to be something else they can do…Go on line and ask Dr. OZ….He might have the answer for you…He is a smart Dr. and might have the solution..won't hurt to try!! Take care!!

Jennie/Florida on November 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm
    • Thanks for the advice, my fibro complicates everything !! I have sore knots all over my body; makes me wonder whats going on inside !! I didn't know Dr. Oz had an online question site….will do so right away !!!Oh yes…SAVE THE PORCHES !!!

gremol on November 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm
    • Hi Gremol, did you have any luck on the Dr. Oz web site?? I came across this web site and thought this might help you http://www.ehow./about_6516708_fibromyalgia-knots

I hope this will help you!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm
    • Correction!! ….. .http://www.ehow.com/about_6516708_fibromyalgia-knots.html

Sorry….I hope I got it right this time!

Jennie/Florida on November 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm
    • gremol, I tried the last one and couldn't get it either, but maybe you can ….Any way its about Fibro and knots and I thought it was interesting to know those knots can be messaged away….I don't think it is something going on inside you, thats causing your knots on the outside..its just fluid build up thats causing the knots…I read comments on one website and I was surprised to see so many people has Fibro and has knots all over there body…They are saying that Flexeril and Soma helps with the pain, so maybe you can ask your Dr. about those Medications and if they would be right for you…
      Gremol, I hope this helps…let me know if you could get those websites….

Jennie/Florida on November 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm
    • Thank you very much !! Checking it out now !!

gremol on November 14, 2012 at 9:46 am
  5. I've been in construction as a carpenter and I am still amazed by this video. Though I question the fact that the Blog Cabin 2013 location is another South-East Region…this is incredible to watch.

BTW…any Post Sandy video????

ReggieTwyn on November 10, 2012 at 11:23 pm
  6. Windee, I've tried to call you–not enough I know, but when I can, I'm not sure you're staying at your place or were flooded or lost or, to what extent you may have damage at your house or power/heat/water availability.You are heavy on my heart. I haven't been on the blog for weeks with regular post or thoughts. too many health tests are distracting and rather numbing. Autonomic neuropathy has been added to my list of concerns and it is widespread and affected major automatically functioning internal organs, such as heart. lungs,digestion, manufacture of necessary hormones, and coordinating their balance. I'll be having surgery Thursday , to verify internal automatic internal organ functions.and can these be relied upon by my anymore since my systems seem to be closing down,,, So my dear girlfriend, Windy, and others I' ve grown close to, that situation has kept me occupied and distracted and, except for a quick check-in, I have been away from the blog–( have missed you gals and guys! :( ) Several, including new Bloggies have posted to me and I apologize that I haven't properly responded yet. One of the autonomic neuropathy issues I'm having is slowness and fatigue with writing is my hands go totally useless and numb even as part are burning and hurting as though they were being torched. Please forgive my lack of responses lately. I try to respond to my posts but just haven't been so lucky lately. We have some insightful and entertaining new bloggers and I am thrilled! Thank you for joining us! Have a Blessed Sunday! B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 11, 2012 at 12:50 am
    • Kitty, you have no need to apologize to any of your blogger friends. We all realize the health issues you are facing and we are all praying for you. <3

EdinOregon on November 11, 2012 at 2:07 am
    • Kitty, Thank you for sharing with us. I'm sure it hasn't been an easy time for you or your family lately. Even with these challenges you are facing, you are an incredible woman! I have followed your blogs, and you have a special gift. You have always provided fellow bloggers with insight, respect, caring and compassion. I hope that you will find the answers you seek that lead you to having less pain and feeling stronger with each passing day. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless You! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on November 11, 2012 at 3:58 am
    • Kitty, sending you extra hugs and wish you much strength and prayers for now and through Thursday…so sorry that you are going through these trials . You will be in my daily thoughts and prayers . Hoping you will be on the mend very soon ! <3 <3 <3

LLColeman on November 11, 2012 at 4:41 am
    • I'm so sorry to hear of your issues. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dghawk4 on November 11, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    • Dearest Kitty, you are in my prayers. I certainly know what you are going through; one year post surgery & I'm worse than when I started. Went to my primary doc last week, she said that I'm just 'one of those people' who do not get relief from surgery & that my fibro is worse & that I'll always be in pain. My surgeon won't hardly talk to me about my problems, he just says I need more injections & bee-lines out the door !!! Going tuesday for trigger points. Oh yeah, prime-doc ordered PAP, mammo, labs, & colonoscopy !!! FUN, FUN, FUN, at this time of year !!! Special Prayers to you, my soul Sister !!

gremol on November 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • Kitty, you have become a cherished friend over the last two years, and I have been missing your posts. I hope your surgery provides answers that can bring you relief from the painful neuropathy symptoms. You are in my thoughts and prayers today and always. <3<3<3 Hugs to you, Sandy

SID on November 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm
    • Kitty, I had no idea about your health. All your posts are always so positive and upbeat.
      You will be in our prayers. Don’t worry about answering just give yourself time to heal. We will pray for your surgeon also.

Eugenia27 on November 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • My Dear Kitty, I have missed your comments but know that you were going to have more test done this past week. I'm so sorry your Dr. couldn't give you better news…Please don't apologize for not blogging, Know that your health comes first and we only want what's best for you…You have been in my thoughts and prayers every day since I knew you were going back for more test. I hope and pray that you will get some relief soon…I pray Surgery will go well…Please take care of yourself and know we all are thinking about you and care so much for OUR Blogging Buddy!!!! Jennie

Jennie/Florida on November 11, 2012 at 6:12 pm
    • You do not need to apologize to anyone. That's what friends are for whether they are bloggers or in your neighborhood. Just take care of yourself. Know that you are being remembered in our thoughts and prayers. You have given so faithfully to us through this blog. Let us be there for you now even if it is only through written word and prayers.

peachdoc on November 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm
  7. Sending thanks to all veterans and families of veterans for all the sacrifices they have made in service to the country. <3 <3 <3 My thoughts are with my uncle who is now 81 and served in the Navy during WWII; his home is still without power in n. central N J.

LLColeman on November 11, 2012 at 4:49 am
    • We can never thank our vets enough. My best to you and to your uncle.

peachdoc on November 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm
  8. What a gorgeous morning in North Carolina! November and it is already in the mid-fifties! Can't wait for some activity to show up on the webcam. It looks so lonely there right now. The raising video gave it life. The transformation will be awesome, I am sure.

grammagail on November 11, 2012 at 9:28 am
  9. Thank you to all who have served and are serving in the Military. Without your service we would not be free. Special thanks to my daughter, who is a nurse currently serving in the Navy.

bythebaydreamer on November 11, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • Agree. Thanks for giving tribute to the vets in your post.

peachdoc on November 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm
  10. God Bless our Vets & all Military serving today !! My Dad & my Father-in-Law were Vets, I miss them both !

gremol on November 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • My mom served in the USO in Europe during WWII and the same years, one uncle was a Marine in the Pacific, one uncle did intelligence stateside against German airbases , and my step dad was in the Navy on a Pacific island (but did not see combat.)… they all did their part.

LLColeman on November 12, 2012 at 2:20 am
    • Same here (almost) !! my Grandma worked the ship yard; my Grandfather could not serve because of epilepsy; my Uncle was a Chaplain; my Dad was Army, then transferred to Air Force, & in the Korean Conflict a merchant marine; my Father-in-law was Navy, as was my Brother-in-law; several cousins saw Vietnam, one was wounded; our Family all did their part too !! Proud to call them Family !!!

gremol on November 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm
    • Thanks for your tribute to the vets. It is amazing how much we have all been impacted personally by veterans we know personally as well as enjoy the freedoms they help us all to have to enjoy.

peachdoc on November 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm
    • All three of my brothers served, each chose different forces, the Army, Air force and Marines..I'm so proud of them..Thank God they all came home safe!
      I want to Thank ALL of our War Heros who are so Brave to serve, to keep us safe here in our Beautiful USA..

Jennie/Florida on November 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm