Nov 1

Standing Up to Superstorm Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 Hurricane Sandy

Blog Cabin 2013 was lifted in preparation for the construction of a new, sturdy foundation. And then news of Superstorm Sandy hit the airwaves. Before the hurricane came ashore with tropical storm-force winds, the Blog Cabin 2013 general contractor strapped the home down to the ground and then built a sand berm around the structure to keep tidal waters from washing away the cribbings. Sandy moved inland, leaving our circa-1892 coastal cottage virtually unscathed.

Take a few moments to watch the amazing time-lapse video of the home lifting process and discover more about the history of this fascinating coastal North Carolina home, lovingly cared for and tended by members of the Robinson family.

• Posted at 10:40 am on November 11, 2012

1. What an amazing video! Thank you so much, Mary, for including us. I have never seen anything like that done before. So happy the structure is safe and sound and cannot wait to see next phase. Pat Green

Pat Green on November 1, 2012 at 11:13 am
    • I am so excited to watch this years Blog Cabin.

DonnaDan on November 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  2. Good to see Jim back and hard at work raising another Blog Cabin. :)

Clive on November 1, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • Thanks for remembering this ole movinman

Jim

JimM on November 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm
  3. Wow, that was amazing, Mary thank you for sharing the first of this reno procedure with us…Glad to see the weather is nice today. Now that the storm is over with, please get those guys busy with the next phase of reno!!! Can't wait to see what is next…Thanks again for including us!!!

Jennie/Florida on November 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  4. I am new to this. When do we get to start vote on what is going in the cabin and where do we go to do that?

Melissa on November 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • I don't have the exact dates but they just gave away BC 2012 a month ago. We vote on the different stages of reno as it goes along. So keep checking back.

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    • I'm yvonne and I want to make the same statement and request. Where do we go to vote on different stages?

yvonne silinsky on December 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm
  5. I was so pleased to see the Matycos back from Virginia Beach, to do the expert lifting of this charming Victorian era cottage! My daughter went to high school with one of the brothers–and this family has thrived, having several strong strapping boys to grow into the house lifting business! :) Seems they were all State wrestling champs! Our Blog Cabin came through the gale force winds and pelting rain beautifully–thank you God! Our VA area was pummeled with heavy rains, flooding in low areas and fallen branches, otherwise we're safe. To the west in Virginia, we've had blizzards! You've no doubt seen the news. Others haven't been so lucky. I have family on the Long Island Sound and they have no power, but no water got into their house, thankfully. My CT family also have no power, but I understand it will be restored quickly. :) To those of you Bloggies who have been affected by Sandy, please know that you are being thought of and prayed for. As one who has sustained several natural disasters, myself, I understand what you're going through. If you need to talk or unload, go to my Intense Debate site and email me. I care. ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on November 1, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • Very well sead Mrss Kitty!!! :*

asandmancan on November 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm
    • I second that emotion. Glad you are safe and sound. With my news coming out of Richmond, I haven't heard much news of any coastal damage. I did hear that they closed Sandbridge, but that was about it.

Dghawk4 on November 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm
    • Glad to hear you fared well. Our hearts and prayers are with so many who haven't.

Hazelnut Deb on November 2, 2012 at 11:33 am
    • You are such a sweet soul !!

gremol on November 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm
      We are getting a number of calls from N.J. and Ct.
      It is so sad that so many people are affected by this storm.

Take care and good luck to you.

JimM on November 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm
    • Kitty
      Glad to hear you and your family are safe now. That certainly was some mean storm! I have prayed and still praying for all the people so severly effected by this storm. It was yet another lesson in preparedness on all fronts.
      You know everyone-too funny! I am sooooo excited about this re-do. What a location and what a place to re-do. The history is great and the location is great. It is fantastic to be able to tap into that rich history. We bloggers love that:p I hope you are feeling better and mending? Best wishes and prayers
      <3<3<3

ruffybc on November 11, 2012 at 8:54 am
  6. That. Was. Awesome. Thanks for sharing the process with us… these guys have so much experience. Glad to know BC2013 is up in the air, safe and sound!

MGYinSC on November 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    • Wow, I have never seen an actual raising of a house before. It took some heavy work to get the process done and help from their super duper machine. Mary I appreciate how you and DIY network would take an old house that 's either being ready for demolished or are being left alone to rot and you guys come along to rebuild the old homes from the ground up, and salvage whatever you guys can and reuse them again. You guys are awesome for the fact that you put in high quality fixtures and kitchen appliances and when you finish you guys give it all away for free. I salute and thank you fro that…for there are a lot of people who would like to have their dream home one of these days. Well, as for me, I will keep on dreaming because dreaming gives me hope and reason to keep on joining the HGTV Dream Home dreamers. :-) .

cucunest on November 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm
  7. I enjoyed the video, and noticed that while the house was lifted you could see the brick chimney. I'm curious as to how the house is prepared inside before it is lifted. I also noticed that at the end the camera flashed on a dock, I assume that the one at the house has been rebuilt.

Cathy M on November 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm
  8. In light of the Superstorm Sandy, I hope they bild this Blog Cabin with a high C5 Hurricane rating and with Power back up (preferably Soler panels) for Emergencies and Cost Efficiency!
    There are so meny people that lost there homes and are out of Power that it makes you wander why they would make any newer home with out thinking of just how bad the weather patterns are geting!!!
    May God watch over all of Superstorm Sandy's Victims. You're in are thoughts and Prayers!!!

asandmancan on November 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    • Pluse I loved video and the way they raised the Blog Cabin. B)
      I am an Electrician and it still amazes me every time!!!:D

asandmancan on November 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    • Around the time that Sandy was making landfall, I was checking out YouTube, trying to find out as much as I could, at that time there wasn’t any new storm videos but there was a video of a man rushing to take down his solar panels before the hurricane hit.

Having to take down your solar panels before a storm is not something that I ever thought about.

Eugenia27 on November 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    • Well I never thought of that. And it is a good point! Though liveing in FL for 22 years, I've only knowen of 3 people that had solar panels and only one ever hade a problom. He had a small crack in one of eaght panels, but no real big power lose… Even if you you did take them down, and I do think takeing them down cant hert, beater safe then sorry. And after the hurricane when there back up. You will have some power with out haveing to stand in line for gas for 4-5 houres!!!

asandmancan on November 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm
  9. This video was fun to watch!!!! I love seeing an old cottage saved and look forward to seeing it come to its new life ;^) I LOVE DIY….you guys are the best!

Carolee on November 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm
    • What application must I download in order to see the video? How do I access the "cabin cam"? Thanx for any recommendations.

Jean on November 10, 2012 at 10:52 am
  10. It was an education to see the building being lifted. It is surely a skill that is going to be needed more and more as the weather patterns change. We have been without power until recently, but thankfully haven;t had much water damage besides what water came down the chimney's. We have been blessed. Saying prayers for all of those who have been effected by the wrath of Sandy. <3

bythebaydreamer on November 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm