Oct 24

Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location

The time has finally arrived: To announce the location of Blog Cabin 2013. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then explore a gallery of gorgeous “before the renovation” photos and the “as is” floor plan. Enjoy!

• Posted at 9:13 am on October 10, 2012

1,399 Comments

1. They show 2 chimney on the outside, but only one fireplace inside I wonder what the other one for? I see the outside hand water pump, I wonder if that was used to take the sand off before coming into the cottage.
    You can see where each generation added their touch on the cabin, weather adding on a room,(another bedroom, larger kitchen, bathrooms) or just bring in a piece of furniture from that time period.
    The ceiling on the top floor look a little on the low side to me, I wouldn't have a problem with that because I am short, but not sure about someone tall.
    I wonder if it came furnished, if so I hope they put some of it back into the home. That's the making of a seaside cottage to me.
    Love the rocking chair in the kitchen, reminds me of my great- grandmother, sitting there holding and rocking (or feeding) a little one while mother cooked the meals, all the while they talked away the time.

home_girl on October 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    • home_girl, I too can picture Gram sitting in the rocking chair rocking a baby while Mom is cooking dinner for the family. What a wonderful memory. The kitchen in the blue and white reminds me of delft china. So traditional. Each generation making this home their own. I would love to know more about the family who lived here. Who grew the grapes? What kind of grapes are they? Did they use them for jams and jellies, wines, or just eating off the vine? I'm sure we will discover more as the reno begins. It is so exciting!:p<3

bythebaydreamer on October 25, 2012 at 3:56 pm
    • Bythebaydreamer I'd bet money those grapes are muscadine. My father-in-law lives on the crystal coast too, but about 4 hours north of Atlantic, NC. He has always grown muscadines. One of my sister-in-laws makes the best muscadine bread pudding. I like them right off of the vine. He also has a nice row of pecan trees, and various fruit trees. Here's a link on muscadines that includes a few recipies

Mel on October 25, 2012 at 7:03 pm
    • Mel, I had never heard about muscadine grapes before. Thank you for the link. I am used to concord grapes being originally from Massachusetts. Do you think the trees on the BC property are also pecan? I love the setting of the cabin. I hope they keep the trees. I could see putting in a large vegetable garden and an english garden for my flowers. So exciting! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on October 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm
    • I remember those concord grapes in MA. They used to grow wild all over the forest. My brother and I overindulged too many times when we were hiking in the woods. Sometimes we would bring buckets of them to our grandmother. She made the best jelly out of them! ^_^

EdinOregon on October 26, 2012 at 1:39 am
    • Bythebaydreamer, if any of the trees on the BC property are pecan they aren't protected from the local squirrels. Every squirrel in the area would be eating those pecans. You have to be proactive in protecting your pecan trees and "think" like a squirrel when you plant them!
      My father-in-laws pecan tree trunks are wrapped in metal flashing so they can't be climbed. They can't be reached by air either due to being planted away from any other tree or structure ( shed, lean to) even a shrub that gives squirrels an ability to jump into a pecan tree and bi-pass your flashing. Squirrels can jump a 10 ft. gap. Some people shoot, or trap squirrels that grow pecan tress, my father-in-law doesn't do that. He spaced them correctly ( in case one tree is ever compromised, squirrels will happily jump from pecan tree, to pecan tree) wrapped their bases in metal flashing, and is quick to gather them from the ground when they fall! If you win, you could plant your own pecan trees, Best of Luck :)

Mel on October 26, 2012 at 6:35 am
    • You're right, Mel! They were muscadine grapes … and I hated them as a kid! Sometimes the vine would give grapes, and some years it would just decide not to :p There's a pear tree outside of the master bedroom downstairs that my dad always complained gave fruit at the weirdest time of year!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm
    • The other fireplace was originally used for cooking and heating upstairs, but has been closed off for years. The pump in the back has been out of commission for at least 20 years (at least I don't remember it ever working). It'd be really cool if they COULD get it to work. I think a "sand room" would be a great addition to the house (even if it isn't an actual room on the house; maybe a little shed?). A much classier way for kids to rinse off after a day at the beach than just the hose out back!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm
    • Alicia thanks for answering our questions and telling us about the other fireplace. Now we know why it wasn't shown. IWas the fireplace mantel/frame made from an bed headboard, do you know? Was just wondering, for it sure is different.
      We used hand pumps and know one has to prime them to get them to work, or you could pump for ever it seems and not get water.
      Since you said that the pump don't work, I hope they can get it to work and have a little pool to catch the water in for play, I know we had fun taking turn using the hand pump for water. (For pool… the wall would be only need to be a brick high and not very wide, just good for a little water for rinsing off your feet and toddlers to play in.)

home_girl on October 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    • Just asked my dad and he said my step-mom told him it's the original wood and Beulah Benton Styron designed it. It's made of the same wood that the old doors are made of. It was once painted white, but my dad and step-mom just let the old paint peel off and left it with that rustic look.

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm
    • thanks Alicia that's great to know how creative Beulah was, I hope they keep it in the cottage when they make it over. Maybe they can strip it and give it a dark finish, to bring out the details.

Can you tell us if that's a real rug on the floor in picture # 29 in the dining room? Looks like it was painted there! I like it; kind of reminds me of the old farm house wooden floors, where they painted designs on it. Was cheaper than rugs and gave a room some color and appeal.

home_girl on October 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm
    • That IS a real rug on the floor. A very flat rug! :p My dad and step-mom painted the dining and living room floors white. I know the upstairs got a few coats of paint as well. I'll never forget the summer I went up there and found out that my step-mom had painted the stairs and banister that crazy shade of teal!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm
    • I like that crazy shade of teal, I hope they put it back into the home some place. Maybe a bedroom with that cute boat shelf and other boat theme things.
      Thanks for telling me about the rug, still reminds me of a floor painting.

home_girl on October 29, 2012 at 12:03 am
  2. AWESOME!!!!!!!

ARLENE EVERETT on October 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm
  3. WOW! Know the area very well. Great Location for a retreat and privacy. Open waters for boating and fishing. Use hardwood floors and tile thorugh out.Cobolt Blue for kitchen with soft yellow tones on walls. Lots of windows and plantation shutters on a few. I will be back with more ideals!

MARCIA HOLCOMB on October 25, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    • Sounds like it will be a great seaside cottage. I do hope they give it that cottagey feel. I love the blues and soft yellows for seaside decor.

peachdoc on October 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm
  4. What a great location!

MrRockster on October 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  5. Great Location

Ozzie31657 on October 25, 2012 at 12:28 pm
  6. My husband and i have always talked about having a older home and the cabin feel. I love to make my treasure finds at yard sales or side of road to somthing different and keep it or gift it, but as husband knows all to well, i keep most lol. I love your show and cant wait to see what else is to come. And to look at the beach daily would be a dream come true.. :)

Natalie Hensley on October 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  7. can't wait to see this

Kristen on October 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm
  8. Fantastic location and a true charmer of a cabin!

Gail Born on October 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm
  9. Looking Good !

Suzy on October 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm
  10. i've look through you internet sight,i'm not very good with the computer. can't seem to log in to getting a remake of my own. i have been watching you shows,for years.always very happy to see you guys an gals helping people who really need your help. also would like to put a request in for myself.

shirley on October 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm
    • With another storm brewing on the east coast, my hopes are that they make this as hurricane safe as possible. I agree with earlier blogger that it appears to flood often.

peachdoc on October 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm
    • Honey, I think you are mistaking DIY for Extreme Makeover Home Edition; which is now defunct !!!

gremol on October 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm