Oct 24

Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location

The time has finally arrived: To announce the location of Blog Cabin 2013. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then explore a gallery of gorgeous “before the renovation” photos and the “as is” floor plan. Enjoy!

• Posted at 9:13 am on October 10, 2012

1,399 Comments

1. Thanks, HGTV. Kinda takes the sting out of not winning the one in Maine. It's just down the coast from me, so I couldn't be happier. Except for the bathroom and a little exterior maintenance, I'd move in right now. Can't wait for the votin' and enterin' to begin. Don't forget to call me about the Miami condo.

TeAmoHGTV on October 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm
  2. Thank you DIY for letting us know the location so soon. The location is great for a deep sea fisherman! I hope you will be repairing the dock and raising the home above the storm surge flood plain. Since this house is 5 years older than my present home I am anxious to see what magic DIY works on it!!!

EdinOregon on October 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm
    • We have a 26 ft. cabin boat we've never used; it still needs some minor engine work & some cosmetics; but it would 'fit' nicely with this B.C. !! I love deep-sea fishing !!

gremol on October 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm
    • You sound like my kind of people gremol! ^_^ On the fishing site I blog on, my handle is Deepslayer! Tight lines to you.

EdinOregon on October 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    • I love fishing of any kind !! Fresh water, salt water, from a boat, on the bank, trot line for catfish, deep-sea, floundering…..you name it !! My Dad was a big fisherman; he taught us to fish from the time we could hold a cane pole in our hands !! My Son had the rare opportunity to go fishing with his Grandad; their favorite was going floundering. Some of my fondest memories of my Dad is going fishing with him !!!

gremol on October 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm
    • Ditto on all the fishing! I have never run a trot line, but I have spent many nights cat fishing. Tuna, Halibut, Sturgeon, Salmon & Ling Cod are my present favorites! Crabbing and clamming are productivve too! ^_^

EdinOregon on October 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm
    • Down here we always enjoyed deep-sea fishing for King & Spanish mackerel…..MMM..Good Eating !!! I love flounder too, actually I'll eat most any kind of fish. In cooler weather we catch mullet & speckled trout. I have a freezer full of flounder…….think I'll thaw some !!!!

gremol on October 26, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    • So, my question is can you use a boat/io that has been used only in fresh water for sea water without spending a ton of money? We use it for Lake Superior deep sea fishing and the ocean could be a nice change. I hope they work on the dock/pier . . seeing that they are talking about it they should also fix it!!

karen on October 26, 2012 at 10:09 am
    • Yes, a boat does not know whether it is in salt or fresh water !! The difference is maintenance; down here people use barnacle resistant paint on boat bottoms & it's best to rinse salt water off after use; just like with rod & reels – rinse the salt out so they last longer & don't rust/corrode. Most folks down here who have bigger boats leave them in the water at a rented pier/dock for easier access when they want to go out; unless,of course they live on the water & have their own dock !! I hope they fix up the dock for use !! Even if you don't have a boat, you could sit on the dock & 'drown a worm' !!!

gremol on October 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    • Just like Gremol said – make sure and rinse the sea water out of the cooling system. Adding zincs to prevent electrolosis helps a lot too.

EdinOregon on October 26, 2012 at 5:00 pm
    • Thanks for the answers!

karen on October 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm
  3. Looks like an interesting location for next year.

dreamn_again on October 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm
  4. YES! Perfect location! Perfect size cottage! Perfect amount of charm! Perfect history! Perfect,perfect, perfect! Let's GO! Can't wait to start building this beauty!

Ms Williams on October 25, 2012 at 1:17 am
  5. This property is unbelievable! With three acres; I love the trees, the grape vines, the lawn leading out to the dock and the sandy beach. There is just so much to see and so much potential. What a wonderful choice of properties! Can't wait to get started! &lt;3 <span class="idc-smiley"><span style="background-position: 0pt 0pt;"><span>:)</span></span></span>

bythebaydreamer on October 25, 2012 at 2:56 am
  6. This is such a beautiful area of the east coast. N.C. too has some real good people, and yes, Moresville a town not to far away southwest is home to NASCAR. A bit of everything exists in North Carolina including the Artist's that will show their building talents on this project. D.

Dennis Scharf on October 25, 2012 at 4:17 am
  7. wild horses couldn't keep me away, LOL ! B)

LLColeman on October 25, 2012 at 4:30 am
    • They'd probably gallop away from you, though. It would take a special relationship building for trust to build so that such a horse could ultimately be tamed and adopted. I thought it was nest that DIY already had plans for the raising on their agenda, had existing house plans. Far better organized. I'm wondering and hoping that they in fact, purchased the contents and will use the antiques as antiques, and not do things which will damage their value for resale,. When they raised the house on stilts, one chimney was by the MA BR they removed the two chimneys. One chimney I would love to see that porch come back as a year round room–a sunroom, with facility to be an opened screend room but fully heat/air conditioning–great for additional guest, comfort year round. This place has great possibilities It should be early on checked and treated for any wood rot asbestos removal needs and mold spores before actual construction commences in January! I believe an upright washer/dryer would do well if it is top of line with heavy capacity to save on space. Kitchen appears too long and narrow can we wider that space, perhaps there could be the washer /dryer also trash compactor would be helpful here There is no close or convenient way to dump trash. So now we don't know what they are thinking. But our brains, I can tell, are in overdrive and won't stop till begged to by DIY; We bloggers are ready for our part so say the word. GOOD LUCK ON OUR NC BC 2013 PROJECT, EVERY ONE!
      B):*;):p<3B)B):p;)<3kITTY

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm
  8. Now that I have gone through all the photos, i feel a bit sad –once again, one family has had the home for over a century and now must give it up for whatever reason.
    The furnishings and accessories in the photos show a well-loved and happy looking home… I am one of the bloggers who would not change the furnishings or accessories–it's just my style, and I know it will not look like this after the reno'…..I am tensely awaiting updates declaring that "the beadboard walls have to be torn out" and reports that they could not save the gorgeous wide plank floors. Will the 2 chimneys be left on the roof again, but the fireplaces taken out and not replaced ? I saw one elaborate mantel and thought, " that will be turned into a headboard, or something"…. I am elated about the location but not optimistic about the changes to come. I wish there were a way to keep those antiques, store them, and have the option for the winner to use them in the house– if the winner likes them…I think they are fantastic pieces.

LLColeman on October 25, 2012 at 4:48 am
    • LL, I agree with you. The furnishings in this house is what made it a home and gives it the character. DIY please try and reuse the furnishings including the fireplace mantel in their present purpose. The Mantel is very "shabby chic & beachy". I love this cabin.<3:)

bythebaydreamer on October 25, 2012 at 9:37 am
    • LL, have you read "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh? The interior of this house is
      furnished exactly the way I imagined her home to be. "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

DeerSpring on October 25, 2012 at 10:47 am
    • I read that book a LOOONG time ago, but as you mention it, this place does evoke the description of the Lindberg home.
      That's a lovely video, thanks DeerSpring !

LLColeman on October 26, 2012 at 3:34 am
    • L.L. I too love the cabin as is and hope no damage comes to it while up on stilts. Also, share your concerns about the updates and"repurposing". Since I am a retired antiques dealer I know many of the furniture and other pieces are valuable. Just the rolling pin and Jenny Lind beds are nice and valuable as well as the Victorian stands, tables . press back chairs and ceramic pieces. Would hate to see them not in original condition. All this is very exciting. Love the on site camera. Pat Greren

Pat Green on October 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    • Pat, I too worry for the furniture. I hope they don’t think they are going to “update” a beautiful antique by slapping paint on it or worse cut a hole in the top to make it into a sink.
      We use to refinish antiques. There are ways to protect the antique furniture so that it can be put back to almost original condition. (Granted you can never get back the original finish after it has been messed with but there are ways to keep it from completely being destroyed.)
      Better to just not mess with it !!!

Eugenia27 on October 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm
    • Eugenia 27 We call the remade or refinished pieces, "remuddled or married" meaning not in original condition. It cuts the value in half or more. The feel of original items is wonderful. One can sense the history and wonder about where and how it was used and who owned it and used it. Many furniture pieces were hand made with great care and craftmanship. Turn a table top or a drawer over sometime and feel the hand planed surface. Imagine! they are with us and functional after100+ years. Pat

Pat Green on October 27, 2012 at 9:23 am
    • Ahhh, you just took some of the wind out of my sails, & rightly so; after looking at the cabin cam, I'm afraid this one, too, will lose all that charm I saw in the 1st pics !! Please DIY, keep the charm !!!! I, along with Coop, was ready to take it 'as-is' !!

gremol on October 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm
    • Gremol, I hope you are wrong. but I haven't been able to locate the cabin cam. if you have the link could you post it for me? thanks.

Eugenia27 on October 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm
    • All is good. I found it. Thanks

Eugenia27 on October 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm
    • LL
      As I said earlier to Kitty there are alot of charming antiques in this home.Yes, you can see this home has been used like a typical beach getaway:) I like your thought of the horses on the Outer banks:)This is just such a rich area ocean, fishing, history just to name a few things.This home has just enough land with it-not too much to keep up.Love the beach & dock (hope they can repair or replace?)Can't wait to see what they do with this home.I too hope they keep the chimneys-at least one & make it work or put in an insert.I wonder if they could do a double sided one so that it could be enjoyed in the home & also on the porch:). I agree if that mantle is not used for the fireplace it would make a great headboard:) Request! porch swing! I am going to start the chant now to put in dormers or do something to max out the view of the water-upstairs & bring in more light:)o.0Lets face it you want to see the water and take advantage of the ocean breezes-reasons for windows & porch (screened) to take full advantage of this view.My guess is that the place like the last will be gutted Inside.I hope they can repurpose the flooring-save as much of the charm & history in a more efficient way:)

ruffybc on October 27, 2012 at 9:46 am
    • LL, I found it! Thanks for the headsup.

traveler4lyfe on October 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm
    • Seriously, I can't even tell you how much it means to hear how much everyone loves this home I grew up in!! With our powers combined, maybe we can keep the team from going too crazy on this old house!! ^_^

Alicia on October 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  9. Looks perfect! Can't wait!

Michelle Sheehan on October 25, 2012 at 6:23 am
  10. This looks amazing!! Great…now Hubby gets to hear me talk about this one all year. Poor guy…then I wonder how come he has selective hearing. LOL What an incredible location, though!!

MGYinSC on October 25, 2012 at 7:43 am