Oct 24

Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location

The time has finally arrived: To announce the location of Blog Cabin 2013. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then explore a gallery of gorgeous “before the renovation” photos and the “as is” floor plan. Enjoy!

• Posted at 9:13 am on October 10, 2012

1,400 Comments

1. I just went through the 99 photo's . This house has so many neat pieces of furniture and brick a brack. The fireplace mantel is quite unique. I hope that the reno will include a combination of the old and the new. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again Mary and DIY for selecting such a lovely area!

bythebaydreamer on October 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm
    • I called dibs if they are going to rip out that mantle/surround. I'll drive to NC to get it!

Nebraska on October 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm
  2. Awesome!! So excited about this beautiful beach retreat! Love the wild horses and seafood!!

northfamily on October 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm
  3. Ecstatic!!! DIY YOU DID IT!!! You picked a CABIN –check. You told us quickly –check. You kept AWESOME HOST Chris Grundy :) — check. You gave us a swift tour and lots of still photos right off–BIG CHECK! Thank you!!! Atlantic, NC is on the Pamlico Sound and has a wee bit of hurricane shelter by the Outer Banks of NC–but not that much. This place will need to be shored up and protected from storm surge water…, much like you did with the Matthews, VA, home, I would think. The entire home will NEED Air Conditioning & Heat in NC! Please KEEP a screened in area! I'm in SE VA and know that VA and NC are targets of mosquitoes that carry West Nile Virus! Tell Your Staff to protect themselves too! Please do not omit powder room on 1st floor again!! Need outdoor shower for Beach sand too. Full Bathroom upstairs is a MUST!!! Closets are a must! Did DIY purchase furnished as is or unfurnished??? A good sized library wall at a vacation home is always necessary:D please. Saw lots of neat old books! Loved the character of old beach furnishings and fireplace!!! Please KEEP any and all fruit trees/shrubs, including grapes!!! BRAVO! DIY! Looking forward to this new adventure and thank you and Scripps Network for providing it!!! Way to go, on your toes, Mary–I like it!!!xD:p<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    • Atlantic, NC is on the Core Sound not the Pamlico

Damon Coe on October 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm
    • OOOps! Thanks for correcting me, Damon!:o^_^:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm
    • Damon, Will you bring the winner out fishing? I bet there are some great places out there.:)

bythebaydreamer on October 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm
    • No problem!

Damon Coe on October 25, 2012 at 6:14 am
    • Kitty, we think so much alike !! Couldn't have said it better myself !! I'm sure to have LOTS of imput as we progress with 2013 B.C. !!!

gremol on October 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    • Kitty
      You are such a wealth of information:) This place is great. Has a real beach cabin feel to it. I am interested too if any of the furnishings are coming with this place? I bet Virginia will be eying those pieces-some I thought were very nice pieces-really charming. I also agree with all of your checkpoints. Do you know if they will be able to repair the dock they are showing-I don't know the rules. I also wonder if this place is registered as historic? They must keep that screened in porch but from the stills it looks to be already gone? I hope I am wrong. Are they going to keep this home elevated-I hope they do for those periodic storm surges,etc. I for one cannot wait to get started-I am so excited!:)^_^o.0
      Hope you are feeling good-you sound like your ole self!<3

ruffybc on October 27, 2012 at 9:15 am
    • Kitty
      I mean Victoria!!!Lesser!! Where is my mind-need more coffee! What am I thinking:( Sorry Victoria:) at least I got a V name!

ruffybc on October 27, 2012 at 9:25 am
    • It was mentioned somewhere that they're looking at repairing the dock (YAY!). The house isn't registered as historic as far as I know and they've already taken off the porch, kitchen and utility room. I really really hope they put a new porch on – you can't NOT have a screened in porch at the beach! A lot of houses in the area have been elevated over the years. It makes sense to have it elevated, but it does look kinda strange to see an old farm house up in the air like that!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm
    • Alicia
      Maybe you can be our new mole:)! It will be found out exactly where this home is. I agree it looked like the porch was taken off:(:( I do hope they put on back and not just the same deck treatment. Of course and deck off of the porch works for me-with all the stuff needed to enjoy a beach retreat-like grill (or outdoor kitchen:)) outdoor fireplace, firepit, a place to sit outdoors when possible:) I am sure even though this home is elevated which is goodthey can still have a porch (with a swing:)) and a deck down to a paved area-so you have different levels of enjoyment:) I am glad to hear this place is not registered historic-that will make renovations easier-less restrictions. Great too if they do the dock!!!Yay!!!
      Thanks for offering the info you did-this will be a fun build or I should say re-build!:)o.0

ruffybc on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 am
    • 448 Seashore Dr., Atlantic NC 28511…I posted it a few days ago, it's just way down there in the comments. I hope DIY does a lot of the things you posted! The scenery sure is beautiful!!

MGYinSC on October 29, 2012 at 10:11 am
  4. It looks like a great place. Three acres, beach and beautiful cabin, I'm excited!

Alice on October 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm
  5. YES !!!!!!

1sunny1 on October 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm
  6. All the pictures are Beautiful ! Love the Grape Vines – Jelly, here we come :) I'll plant my Strawberries right alongside 'em YeHaww!! :)

Michele Bernier on October 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm
  7. Thank You Mary!!
    I'm so Excited for another year of Blog Cabin and this beautiful crystal coast location.
    The BEAUTIFUL Outer Banks with their wild horses just a short ferry ride away.
    Cape Lookout and Hatteras lighthouses……ahhh this is gonna be fun :)

Mel on October 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm
  8. My home of record is North Carolina. In 2004, we purchased a house in Delaware and later retired from the United States Air Force in 2009 at Dover AFB. Because of the housing market being upside down, we cannot afford and have been unable to move back to our home state. Would love to be able to move the family back to North Carolina; our entire family is there and my wife Susan has always had a dream to live on the beach. I have entered other BC before, but none hit home as this one does!!! Really excited about this location for us and anyone else who may win it. Good luck to all…

Billie Cox on October 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  9. hOPE TS sANDI dOESN'T wIPE iT oUT bEFORE tHEY sTART !!!!

nc gIRL on October 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm
    • Oh No!
      Me too, that ole' Frankenstorm!! Not good! Not good! Let's pray.

traveler4lyfe on October 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm
    • Sandy wasn't even a good mullet blow here in Atlantic!

Damon Coe on November 4, 2012 at 9:03 am
  10. SO exciting!! I love the new location on the beach in North Carolina too. We could only dream of a place on the beach, to share with our children and grandchildren. Thank you for telling us in the blogger world so early, I am ready to blog and enter, enter, enter!!

Deb Rothaug on October 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm