Oct 24

Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location

The time has finally arrived: To announce the location of Blog Cabin 2013. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then explore a gallery of gorgeous “before the renovation” photos and the “as is” floor plan. Enjoy!

• Posted at 9:13 am on October 10, 2012

1,399 Comments

1. Where is Maine again? lol Nice location!!

Maine on October 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    • Yeah!! Where?

Penelope on January 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Maine is in New England past New Hampshire

marcie on February 19, 2013 at 12:09 am
  2. Half our kids live in NC. What a beautiful place. I am in on this one!

JoAnne on October 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm
  3. I know that the DIY folks will work magic on this Blog Cabin as they always do, but I'd almost be willing to accept the home just as it is! This is a real 1895 charmer with plenty of character! And boy is it right out there at the edge of the Atlantic. Guess that's why it's called, well, um, Atlantic, North Carolina….

Call it what you will, a cozy cabin, comfy cottage, or coastal classic, that screened-in front porch is calling my name. I'm sure I can hear a voice whispering "Coop's Beach Hideaway" somewhere in the distance. Or maybe it's just Terri letting me know she needs to go outside for a quick break….

DBCoop on October 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    • could be both.

Eugenia27 on October 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    • You took the words right outta' my mouth !! I saw the clip & said the same thing !!!

gremol on October 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm
    • DBCoop DIY had to pick this location for you!!

With your many tantalizing tales of pirate lore and loot written for the blogs! Atlantic NC lies so close to the home of 18th-century infamous Blackbeard the pirate, and where his ship, Queen Anne's Revenge was discovered in 1995. Mary surely wanted you to have inspiration, did you notice pic # 69?!
      Best of Luck Coop, I can only imagine the stories you would write if you won and had that crystal coast view and gently blowing breeze carrying the spirit of Blackbeard to inspire you :)

Mel on October 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • Can hardly wait for story time!xD:p^_^:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 24, 2012 at 10:18 pm
    • Coop, you will need to come up with some new pancake recipes suitable for beachfront living if this home is calling your name…. do you think Terri would enjoy romping with the wild horses ?? ;)

LLColeman on October 25, 2012 at 4:12 am
    • I'm going to work on coming up with a name for my new beachfront pancake joint, LLColeman. I'm thinking of something like "Coop's Coastal Cakes" at the moment, but as I sail across the seas, I'll have plenty of time to fine tune the new name — and a few new recipes!

DBCoop on October 26, 2012 at 4:07 am
    • 'Coop's Crab Stack Shack'! Of course once it's finished it won't be a shack, not that ii's all that bad now.

KCDigger on October 27, 2012 at 1:28 am
    • Love it, KCDigger, just as long as I can steal the idea in the event that I win against the odds–Coleman's Crab Shack…to feature both Crab Stack pancakes as well as some Crab Cakes.
      That's a good tongue-twister, KC–try to say " Coop's Crab Stack Shack " 5 times, very fast. ^_^

LLColeman on October 27, 2012 at 4:07 am
    • I agree 120 percent, whatever they do they shouldn't mess with that wraparound screened porch!!!

Steffy on November 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm
    • You are so right, Coop. It really is fabulous, right now! I can't imagine how spectacular it will be when DIY network finishes their incredible handy work.

I LOVE all the great antique wood furniture in that house. We don't usually see homes in this condition with people actually living there. I wonder if some of the furniture will stay?

I've been off-line a while and haven't been blogging so, if I say something stupid – please forgive me.

This new BLOG CABIN has soooo much character. Can't wait!

StellaF on November 14, 2012 at 1:37 am
    • i agree with you but it needed to be raised or it would be flooded in a hurricane. i would love to sit on the pizer and look out at the water. pizer it what we call a porch hear in Atlantic, North Carolina.

cail on February 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm
  4. Finally here in my state!!! Please let me have the winning entry on this one, I need a house so bad and it wouldn't be that far to move woooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bea on October 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm
    • P.S. Don't touch those trees please!!! Try to do all the work around them!!!!!!

Bea on October 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    • Please DIY listen to Bea. I love thoes old trees.

Eugenia27 on October 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm
    • Thanks Eugenia!!! I sure hope they listen too. We do have some beautiful trees here and I hate it when people go in and clear the land.

Bea on October 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm
    • I agree Bea & Eugenia the trees on this property are beautiful.

Looks like they are growing a nice crop of muscadine grapes on the property too. I'd love to see those remain as well.

Mel on October 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    • Great for wine and jelly makin', DIY Experts! You'd LUV it–but probably not be gettin' too much work done if I made you some… Hmmmmm. :D :pB)<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 25, 2012 at 10:33 pm
    • Bea, are you close enough to give us some covert 'behind-the-scenes' ???

gremol on October 25, 2012 at 9:07 am
    • Do you think I should? I don't know if my heart could take it. I want this house so bad and when I did my design test it said I was a Zen person so maybe that is a good omen???<3

Bea on November 2, 2012 at 3:06 am
    • Yeah cue us in!

cay on February 18, 2013 at 9:16 am
    • What do you mean finally? This is #3.

Nebraska on October 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm
  5. I really love this little place, to relax and get away from everything. It's like a dream!!!!

pam honeycutt on October 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm
    • Would just jove this home. I live ninety miles from Atlantic Beach. What a pleasure I would have showing off this cabin. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Margie Hunter on February 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • I'm suprised people keep calling this "little". I am a disabled widow w/3 kids we have never lived in a house. Would gladly live in this
      spacious home remodeled or not. But good luck to you! strehlowc@ymail.com

candicared on March 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm
  6. What a beautiful and enchanted cottage can't wait to see the amazing transformation.

pixelecho69 on October 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm
  7. This place looks good just the way it is. Love the front porch and the old trees. Whoever designed this cabin originally did a great job.
    I would love a more updated kitchen but I could picture myself in that kitchen. I guess that is a good sign that DIY chose well. I can’t wait to see more. A little spit and polish and some DIY magic…..

Eugenia27 on October 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    • I am with you, Eugenia, but we know by now that DIY will end up doing more than a 'spit & polish' job…..it will be a gut job inside…and I have a feeling that there will be moisture issues in a building of that age on the beach. Sigh….I like to see things made sound structurally and safe electrically, with updated plumbing. I just hate to see the designers get carried away.

LLColeman on October 25, 2012 at 4:19 am
    • They will need to fix the important items, rot, plumbing electrical (gas line for the new Wolfe range) I noticed some structural items: the rot around the windows, a few shingles missing etc. but other than that I would not change a lot in this cabin. Oh yah, Kitchen Crashers could do some magic. I think that bathroom would welcome the Bath Crashers crew. Desperate Landscape’s crew could fix that dock. We will have to plead with Yard Crashers;
      Please don’t hurt the big trees. I know you could do something real cool and leave those sentinels of history standing.
      I’m not sure what Mega Dens and House Crashers are going to do. Right now the library is in the bathroom. I would defiantly move the library out of the bathroom. I like the white wash on the wood floors…. I guess if they need something to do they could refinish the floors.
      I hope they keep the integrity of the place.

Eugenia27 on October 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm
    • If they have flooring sponsors, they will need to showcase the new floors..(.just like last year, I am hoping they will only put new floors on the 2nd level….I hope against the odds that the joists and all floor supports are sound, so those wide planks can stay in place on the main level.)

I so agree about the trees….please DIY, have the trees evaluated whether they can safely remain and hoping they have a strong root system.

LLColeman on October 26, 2012 at 3:16 am
    • The house started out as a single room (the living room) and additional rooms were added onto it over the years. I'd love to see new cabinets in the kitchen!

Alicia on October 28, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    • Thank you for all your info,it is much appreciated and enjoyed

Straybird on August 15, 2013 at 11:25 am
  8. I love this little cottage by the sea. I like it just the way it is, but then I liked BC 2012 just the way it was too!
    I loved it when they finished it, just like I am sure I will this one when it's finished too.
    I can see all the updates and changes it needs to make it that someplace special. Can't wait to dig in and help where we can, to fix this little beauty right up and have it waiting for it's new owner. Then they can start making their own history there, for generations to come.

home_girl on October 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    • It's a wonderful choice, Rhonda! Access is a bit funky though, like from my place, as the bird flies, it wouldn't be bad at all. But I have to drive way out of the way with 2 choices, to get there by car and it will take about 4.5 hours on a good traffic day. I can also come down the Outer Banks of NC and then take the Ocracoke Ferry past Ocracoke, of course, and that will be a rather extensive ride, plus more driving, so not an easy access place. During hurricane warnings, lots of that area is evacuated–don't know about Atlantic though, but definitely, the Outer Banks. Am really hoping that DIY will use strong cement type siding and raise the house like they did the Virginia one on the Chesapeake Bay.^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    • Well they raised it up all ready, so that's taking care of. If this cabin is over an hundred years old and still standing, I don't think the hurricane weather boded it to much. Some of the outside shingles need to be replaced, but that happens on all homes from any location. The insides don't look like flood water touched it at all. Just a few changes here and there and it could with stand another 100 years. :-)
      If they do use the cement type siding, hope they make it look like cedar shingles. I hope they keep the wood cedar ones as shown on house now and make it a stained gray color to make it look aged and near the water kind of look. Is the cement siding a good thing to have near the salt water? Doesn't salt do something to cement? I was just wondering.

home_girl on October 25, 2012 at 11:29 am
    • I would think that the cement cedar shingle look would be a very good choice. I'm really hoping that they bought the house furnished, where there is ample opportunity to capture the essence of the old Victorian beach cottage! I also really wish they would stay away from greens this time and use blues, red accents , sunny yellow touches and whites. Go Southern Beach Patriotic! You mentioned the well pump in another post–I'm sure they originally didn't have running water, as the cabin was very rustic at 1-story. I agree that the upstairs ceilings look low. perhaps DIY can remove the current ceiling and have it appear more like a natural vault, insulate as they did, the inner side of the roof as was done in Maine, to give the effect of higher ceiling; better yet, raise the roof! :) I'm wondering which storm did the damage deed to the dock out front? Since DIY has included "dock/pier" in its description, does that mean they will fix this one??? Hope so!!!;):DxD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm
    • A deep sea blue accents sound nice or maybe an coral color too for around the porch area! White to keep it light inside with the colors of the water and nature (flower plant life) around it for accents colors.
      I am sure when the cottage was 1st build they didn't have electity either, so that hurricane lamp and many more like it was used along with the hand water pump out side.
      I was thinking that the water pump was kept, for the kids must of had fun pumping it and playing in the water too, while getting the sand off each other before going inside.
      The pier/dock could of fell apart due to a storm or just wear and tear over the years or just no one cared to fix it back up.

home_girl on October 25, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    • cont.
      We have a family cabin (build in the 1970) that's falling down, for it's hard to get to and since Dad died in '99 no one goes out there much any more. The last big storm we had put a tree thought the front window, so that's how it sits, tree gone but window still broken. Roof need work, windows replace (for people like to break them out, breaking into the cabin) and foundation needs work. Sad for we all loved that place when we was growing up and in our earlier adult years, now some moved away, while others are too busy to care. This generation doesn't care for it much, so there it sits sad and alone.
      Maybe that's what happen to this home, this generation just didn't care or moved away and they have their own lives now and that's not part of it.
      Sad but it happens, now a new family will be able to call it home and start a new history with this cottage where the last family left off. :-)

home_girl on October 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm
    • The owner of the home was my step-mom and she passed away a couple of years ago. Since then, it's been hard for our family to go back to the house because of all the memories. Unfortunately, the house got hit pretty bad by Hurricane Irene last year and my dad just didn't have the money to fix it back up. Irene and Hurricane Isabel from a few years ago did the most damage to this house.

I'm so happy to see that much-needed work will be done to the house!=/

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 8:33 pm
    • Sorry for your loss, I know it's hard to go back to a place after someone we love pass on. The memories that are left behind are hard, when we went to the cabin after my father died it was so hard, for it was a place he loved spending so much of his time there.
      But getting to the land is not easy any more, so makes it hard to get there to fix it back up.
      I too would love to see our cabin put back to new, so I know how happy you will be to see the cottage made new again.

home_girl on October 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm
    • Thanks a lot! My dad and I both knew that my step-mom would be so upset if she were still around to see the damage that Hurricane Irene did last year. But we also know that she'd be SO happy to see that this house is getting a full overhaul with a budget we'd never be able to match! Looking forward to seeing what they do … kinda nervous, too!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm
    • Alicia I am glad for you and your father, knowing your step-mom would be happy knowing the home well look nice again.
      I know my father would be very sad to see what shape that the cabin is in now for all the work he put into the place over the years, right up until the end. Last place he went to before he died from cancer.
      My brother wants to take it down, for last storm did a job on it and now the roof leaks and foundation is going. Winter the only time you can get to it when the water freezes, but to cold to work.

home_girl on October 28, 2012 at 9:14 pm
    • Sherwin-Williams Color Palettes "the Urban Organic" has some of the colors I was talking about. For the main color of the cottage Maison Blanche (if it's gray) trim in Drizzle blue with bee's wax in the porch area.
      Maybe White with Aleutian blue trim for the kitchen… Mélange Green and white for living room, a bath room, or maybe a bedroom? I know you said no green, but with the sea grass that grows there I think this color would look nice in the home too.
      Then I like the colors in the palettes of "Color Pizzazz" for other rooms of the cottage.

home_girl on October 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm
    • Kitty
      Are we possibly talking dormers again?!?o.0 A good shed dormer would raise the roof?
      I am very excited about this home-very charming.
      I wonder if they will be able to repair the dock or make a new one?
      Can't wait to see what they do with this one:) I am esxcited too about the camera. I see LL has already been practicing:) Go girl!
      This home will be fun! can't wait! Can't wait to hear Coop's stories! Arrrgh!
      Me matties!o.0^_^

ruffybc on October 26, 2012 at 8:52 am
    • ruffy ! There you be at last, matey ! Arrgghhh– batten down ye hatches there in NY, lass–fearful storm brewing…I hope you will be okay, along with our "family" of bloggers from the east coast. .Praying for my Jersey aunt, uncle and cousins too ! <3 ;)

Here is Colonel Meow to demonstrate my opinion of the storm–maybe he can make the winds back down ? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=160264310… LOL.

LLColeman on October 27, 2012 at 4:16 am
    • LL!
      Here I be! You are right a storm is a brewin:) Bring in the sails, save the rum!!
      I am in Upstate NY so I do not think we will be too bad off-we are to get high winds & a fair amount of rain. As the weather people pointed out up here-is the direction of this storm. It is N by NE-we are more use to storms N,NW & they said our trees are tested for the NW direction not the NE. We had a bad storm a few yrs ago like this& it did alot of damage. Most were with out electricty for at least a week:( I too have relatives in NJ that I am concerned for-it is not going to be good for the coast if this storm tracks like they say-all kidding aside. They are all in our prayers & we hope the storm fizzles out or a miracle turns out to sea:) I just hope people listen & prepare-it is not something to fool with. Water is destructive enough but with the winds even more so.
      I hope all is well with you-you can keep that kitty locked up! scary! throw it some food!quick!!:)
      Can't wait to start this build-what a super area:)

ruffybc on October 27, 2012 at 8:59 am
    • The house definitely has low ceilings! And low windows, too! The biggest window is in the kitchen and that was put in when the kitchen was fixed up about 15 years ago! I'd love to see more light in the house. Big windows would be great, not only for light, but for the view itself. The old windows in there now have the old, wavy, weathered glass that makes on the other side look like it's underwater.

Oh, and Hurricane Irene was the latest storm to ruin the dock :$

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm
    • I agree DwnSoDwnEaster, please no green. Blue or yellow would be great.

vicki_in_Utah on October 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm
    • home_girl, DIY used that siding on the 1905 home in Mathews, VA right on a river off Chesapeake Bay. The description made it sound as though the siding material will hold up to stormy weather and winds in coastal areas, salt water or rain water.( Blog Cabin 2011 )

LLColeman on October 26, 2012 at 3:22 am
    • I thought it must be good if they put it into sidling and wanted it to last, they would know about salt if it was in salt water area. It's something that I was thinking of putting on my own house to make it last and wouldn't have to paint it.
      I don't care for vinyl sidling, so looking for something else that don't need painting.

home_girl on October 26, 2012 at 10:28 am
    • Flood waters hit the house during Hurricane Isabel, but, because all of the furniture was real wood or wicker and the walls weren't made of sheetrock stuffed with fiberglass, there wasn't too much interior damage … just a lot of clean up!

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm
    • I am glad it didn't do any more damage to the home, and you all was able to clean it all up pretty easy.
      I hope they put material back into the home to keep it water resistant for any father storms that may want to hit it again.

home_girl on October 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm
  9. YES !! YES !!! Love this place. PLEASE DIY, keep it real !! Don't go getting all fancy schmancy on this Blog Cabin !! Keep it a place where a Family could/would live and/or vacation at by not taking away all the sleeping/bath space !! I can see room to add bathrooms & closets upstairs; keep the Master & 2nd bedroom/bath downstairs; plus a 1st floor powder room. Keep the ambience on the porches !! Stop me !! Stop me !! Oh heck, just let me design it !!!! I have a Brother in N.C.; Brothers-in law in S.C. & Va. !! Thumbs up to all bloggers today, 2 to Mary for not playing the 'guessing game' !!

gremol on October 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    • Here! Here! Gremol! You're spot on!B);):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm
    • Agreeing with you, too, Gremol ! It is a comfort to immediately see the next project right after the 2012 winner was announced. I did love the property in ME, but I would happily take 3 acres on the beach, in an area that won't get buried in snow each winter..I admit I am a climate wimp.

LLColeman on October 25, 2012 at 4:24 am
    • Yes me too LL. As I get older the white stuff is still beautiful but….not as inspiring!

cay on February 18, 2013 at 9:21 am
    • Gremol, I would let you design it. (mainly because that is exactly what I would do.)

Eugenia27 on October 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm
    • I am with you on this one!! I live about 61/2 hours from there now so I am ready to go help out even!!:D

Bea on October 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm
    • Ah Hah !! Our new 'mole' !!!

gremol on October 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    • I totally agree!!! A bathroom upstairs is such a great idea! There are two bathrooms downstairs that both need a lot of work! The shower in the master bedroom is old, browning fiberglass and the one off of the second bedroom (actually the first, since that was one of the first rooms to be added on) is SO dark! There used to be an old porcelain tub in there. I could definitely see a nice wide shower in the far corner and maybe a vanity set into where the book shelves are. And a door! There hasn't been a door on that bathroom for as long as I can remember!

Alicia on October 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm
    • They listened…..great! Awesome place. Go DIY

cay on February 18, 2013 at 9:19 am
  10. The ocean and the beach! What more could one ask for? Good choice, DIY. Really like that it is an old house. Good for you and us. Pat Green

Pat Green on October 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm