Oct 24

Explore the Blog Cabin 2013 Location

The time has finally arrived: To announce the location of Blog Cabin 2013. Watch our exclusive announcement video, then explore a gallery of gorgeous “before the renovation” photos and the “as is” floor plan. Enjoy!

• Posted at 9:13 am on October 10, 2012

1,400 Comments

1. OOPS! Cabin, I first stated it should be stucco, but no, it should stay with the shingle siding or redone with logs for the real cabin. Now, another thought it should be raised 2-3 feet due to flooding. My family and 18 grandchildren would love to enjoy fishing and boating there. Lots of room for outdoor playing as well. Ceiling fans in all rooms, we have lots of time for no air conditioning and fans make it so cool. Keep the fireplace mantle the same, just refinish. A small fire will give us just enough heat to keep the chill off. Lets put bunk beds in one of the rooms upstairs for the children. They will want to spend their summers with me.

MARCIA HOLCOMB on October 26, 2012 at 8:10 am
    • Have you checked the live webcam, Cabin Cam, tab at the top of this page? You'll see that the house has already been raised about 8 ft. This I suspect, is a similar situation to BC 2011 where environmental laws enforced this height raise for planning permission to be granted on this type of revovation. It will be interesting to see whether this new elevation can accommodate any porch, again like BC 2011.

With hurricane Sandy fast approaching this move may be just in time to save the house and contents. :S

Clive on October 26, 2012 at 8:27 am
  2. Please save the wide board flooring. will have to check the under house though, water rises. This will be my Ya-Ya Sisterhood home. My grandchildren will grow up on these waters. Large screen porch for sleeping outdoors on cots!! Can't wait to see all those smiling faces.

MARCIA HOLCOMB on October 26, 2012 at 8:16 am
  3. This is a great location! I can't wait to start voting!!

KarenYO on October 26, 2012 at 8:18 am
  4. Okay… 448 Seashore Dr., Atlantic NC 28511????? Check it out, do you guys think this could be it?

MGYinSC on October 26, 2012 at 8:27 am
    • yes, if you look on this page, http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/448-Seashore-Dr… then go to birds eye then zoom in….that's it! You are right! I was also looking at the property to it's north. Looks like a farm. What do you think the purpose of the canal onto the property is for? Is it simply to get on a boat easier?

joanlife on October 26, 2012 at 9:54 am
    • I should have been a Private Investigator. LOL I don't think the canal is part of BC2013 property, but you're right, I think it is to make it easier to dock a boat. SO EXCITED about this one!!!!!

MGYinSC on October 26, 2012 at 10:11 am
    • maybe you should call yourself SuperSleuthinSC!

joanlife on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 am
    • Hahah! That's awesome!

MGYinSC on October 26, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • The property to the north looks like it could be a small motel. I agree the canal is for boat access so they could dredge it out and not have to have a long dock sticking out.

YankeeNuke on October 26, 2012 at 10:32 am
    • Notice that property and others are also bulkheaded. Makes a difference, looking from birdseye view! I sure hope they don't get wind and water damage on our new BC Property! Sandy is a huge storm, even if her eye isn't expected in the Outer Banks of NC. Having recently been raised, I'm wondering if they have had the chance to shore the house up on those stilts yet? I'm watching VERY carefully, since I live right in the Virginia Beach, VA, line, they still show us as being directly under a large "whack line"even if Sandy aims towards Jersey and NY. This is no normal storm. We will get a Nor'Easter, beginning this weekend, which will merge with Sandy. A Nor'Easter is moving down towards NY from upper New England and converging. Western Virginia IS expecting a Snowstorm. It's like a crazy stew–AND then, WE HAVE A FULL MOON!!! That affects the tides anyhow!!! Oh, how big this 800 mile wide storm is just starting to become??? AND, Sandy IS expected INLAND–WAY INLAND! Stay safe all! :o B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    • Hope you stay safe! If you click on "Cabin Cam" in the red bar near the top of the page, you can see BC2013 LIVE. They've already raised it up, and torn off the kitchen, master bedroom addition, mechanical room, and porches. Demo is underway!! Keep an eye out for Sandy… and a flashlight within easy reach.

MGYinSC on October 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    • Kitty, I hope you and your family stay safe. :)

bythebaydreamer on October 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm
    • My daughter lives in Seaford, De and her son and his wife and baby live near Rehobeth Beach. I expect that they will get a pretty good storm there as well. I spoke with her today and she seems ready, except for a couple of trees that she should have had trimmed. She also said Monday-Tuesday is when they expect to get hit. We also have family outside of Phila, PA that will get hit pretty hard. We are keeping are positive thoughts going their way as well. I also have a friend in Maidens, Va. They are pretty well set up because they live in the sticks and loose power regularly. They are about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Earthquake that hit Va. Kitty, good luck and God speed you through the storm without any serious problems. Frank________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: DwnSoDwnEaster replied to your comment on Explore the Blog > Cabin 2013 Location >

YankeeNuke on October 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • That's a lot of $$$$ for something so run down. Makes me think this prlze will come in close to $1 million when renovated. Big bucks to be in the middle of a huricane prone area, and so remote. Not a cabin for the average family but another get-away for the super rich. House next door is valued at $1.5 million!!

DIYman on October 26, 2012 at 10:35 am
    • Think you definitely got the address right! After looking at real estate transactions, this address was sold to Scripps Network!

QHMom on October 26, 2012 at 11:07 am
    • It says one story and only 1000 sq ft so maybe!

Nebraska on October 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    • Nebraska, they probably still say the 1000+- because the master BR was an add on at some point. One can see that in some of the pictures. The upstairs ceiling height can't count as square footage if it doesn't meet certain height criteria. I don't know what it is in NC. Those ceilings do look low. The value given to this property is the oceanfront property. It would be nice for DIY to confirm or respond to my question the other day about whether they bought the place furnished. It would be so nice to know about those pieces. I hope they don't remove the fireplace. Believe me, living on the Virginia coast, I have had to cook on my fireplace several times, when we had storms with long power outages, even though we had a generator. We had to choose what to "generate" and what we could cook on the fireplace, when we were iced/snowed in.^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm
    • They did buy the house furnished. A few things were taken from the home when it was sold, but they really wanted to buy it 'as-is'. That being said, they may not use everything once it's all renovated, in which case the family gets back whatever they don't use. That's what we were told anyway :)

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 11:53 pm
    • No, the description and size sounds different.

Cathy M on October 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm
    • If you go on Zillow and do the bird's eye, then zoom in, that's the right place. :)

MGYinSC on October 27, 2012 at 11:01 am
    • Looks right! Must be an older picture. That dock sure looks a lot better!

EdinOregon on October 27, 2012 at 1:16 am
    • That's it! I assure you … I lived there! B) You're not the first person to find it either. That's so funny! Oh, and the canal is actually part of the neighbor's property.

Alicia9981 on October 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm
    • So cool…I'm so glad you're blogging with us! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions about the home. It looks like it has so much character! As much as I want this one, I'm really glad you have a chance to enter to win the house. DIY is going to do a fantastic job.

MGYinSC on October 29, 2012 at 3:52 am
  5. OMG! I am ecstatic about the location of the 2013 Blog Cabin. It's in the "down east" in the county (Carteret) that I work in. I work about 20 mins. away in Atlantic Beach, NC. The cabin is so great. Can't wait to see what going to be done with it.

Skuterc on October 26, 2012 at 8:30 am
    • Keep us posted on the blog if you can, Skuterc ? There will be some publicity coming to Atlantic with this year- long project ! No doubt you may be hearing about it….

LLColeman on October 27, 2012 at 4:40 am
  6. This is absolutely wonderful!!! :-) Thank you to DIY, finally a real cabin to restore. This one reminds me of the past DIY Blog Cabins. Logs would be great for the exterior, however with the salt water that may be a problem. Cedar shingles would be lovely too with a nautical theme. I am being drawn back in by this great little cottage that DIY selected. Such potential and the view, well it speaks for itself. Thank DIY! Very exciting! Yippy!!!!! :-)

Heading South on October 26, 2012 at 9:36 am
    • Hi HS. Nice to see you on here again after so long.:)

Clive on October 26, 2012 at 10:37 am
    • Hi Clive! So nice to hear that you are here. It has been a long time. This little cottage has the perfect place to launch a boat for some good fishing. Hope all is well with you and your family. :-)

Heading South on October 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    • Hi, Heading South glad to know you are still with us…I was wondering when your truck would stop long enough for you to chime in…We miss you and all the bloggers who use to be regulars.. Hope you are Well and will join us more often…This Cottage will be so much fun to Reno and decorate, but I think they will use the Hardie Siding because they are one of Diys' Sponsors…I like Everything that was left in the home and sure hope they packed carefully and what they don't use in the Cottage will be left to the new Winner. So many nice pieces of antique furniture, glassware…My Mom had a lot of that furniture and glassware in our home when I was growing up. I was in "Hog Heaven" when I toured each room and saw all those things, I felt like I was home again…Three acres is plenty of land to take care and the only thing that's missing is a big Old Red Barn in the back to park the mower and horse..lol..That View is Sooo Beautiful…Take care…

Jennie/Florida on October 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm
    • Hi Jennie/Florida,
      So nice to hear that you are here, as I have been out of touch. I miss you and all the bloggers too, and now with this super nice cottage, I feel like a kid in a candy store :-) You sound just like me when you mention that you were in Hog Heaven and how it reminds you of your Mom furniture. I think it just takes us back in time and we reflect on memories. As I looked at the photos of the little girl, I wondered the stories and laughter that occured during the time that they lived there. I could hear the children running and laughing, jumping down the stairs. (Did you notice the JUMP sign)? I didn't know that they were leaving the furniture! That is better yet! I too was looking at each piece of furniture and saying "I love that one…..need that one piece ….that like grandmother's house….great antiques". The glassware and even the blue glass have so much potential for decor. I think it's going to be great fun to decorate this home with such great pieces! The three acres is plenty, like you mentioned . I was thinking about flood insurance :-( something the winner will have to consider. Happy Blogging Jennie!! :-)

Heading South on October 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm
  7. Great location, good sized lot and a nice cottage to start from. Excellent choice this year. Thank you for the early peak at the location and cottage. Might as well start my wish list now. 36" doors on bathrooms and bedrooms at least on first floor. Second floor full bath. Propane for stove, hot water and back up heat. Heat pump for A/C and primary heat. Wider staircase. Toilets not in "commode rooms". Closet space. Metal roof. Delete the outside door from the master bedroom. Thank you for your patience. Hope that you can include some of these items in the renovated cottage. Kitty this would be great for your family, close to home, great for spring through fall at least.

YankeeNuke on October 26, 2012 at 10:22 am
    • I suppose so, Frank, since we don't live ON the beach at Virginia Beach or ON the Chesapeake Bay. But they're in town. It has been over 20 years since I have been to Virginia Beach beach/SAND meaning in a bathing suit to lay out and swim.I've been to the beautiful Boardwalk and certainly to countless functions, museums, parties, etc. but not the Beach. Beaches are gorgeous. I love watching surf, water creatures and birds. And i love to fish. It's a 4.5 hr drive to Atlantic, NC from here. It's 20-30 minutes to Beachfront here, if I want to go. I think I'll play the DIY BLOG game,but honestly haven't decided about the house unless it will be to sell, preferably to a Blogger who really wants it and for a quick and discounted closing/price..That is, unless my family, including all kids want a family getaway place–we thought of the Mathews place that way and would have kept it, had we won. so, who knows? I do agree with your ideas. Love a metal roof! Close off door from Master to back yard. Should have a generator. Wider staircase wider doors and make halls and doors accessible. It will be a challenge being on stilts to bring Ellen upstairs to front door, Frank. Or me, if I win. Lots to think and blog about. late need to rest. Good night everybody!^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 27, 2012 at 2:03 am
    • When we needed outside steps my husband honored my wishes/demands(?) and made them they so the rise is not the normal height . . .they are shallow compared to others and so very easy to use with the old knees. We have had so many comments about how much easier they are to go up and down! And, my husband has a happy wife! If they start tearing this house up, like the previous house, perhaps they should think about this too!

karen on October 27, 2012 at 10:13 am
    • Kitty; Thanks for the additional ideas. I understand about being close to the beach and not going as much as you thought. When I was young and in the Navy I was stationed at Dam Neck to go to school and my then young young bride and I lived in a quad house on the end of Oceana Blvd that they cut off when they changed the intersection at Virginia Beach Blvd. We went to the beach a lot. I would come home from school and we would head to Va Bch to body surf and swim. We would stop at this little shack place on the way home and for $1.00 we would get two fried chicken meals in boxes. Now I live in Florida and we have been to the beach twice in 11 years.

YankeeNuke on October 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm
  8. I'm claiming blessings and overflow!!!! All of us are excited!! (Wouldn't you agree??)

Cheryl L. on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 am
  9. I really like the location & can't wait until the voting for the renovations get started!

Wanda on October 26, 2012 at 10:59 am
  10. DIY thank you so much for the prompt post announcing the new BC location, and ESPECIALLY for bringing the LIVE CAMERA back. Absolutely love the beach front location, and the cabin is charming – so much potential. I can hardly wait for the voting to begin – the 2013 renovation is going to be even more fun this year!

SID on October 26, 2012 at 11:28 am