Oct 11

The Blog Cabin 2012 Winner Drawing

Yes, indeed, fans. We randomly selected the winner of the Blog Cabin 2012 Giveaway! For those curious about the drawing process, please watch the following video. Just a note: Lottery balls numbered one through five designate mail-in entries and lottery balls numbered six through 542 designate online entries. When the representative selects the ball, she reads its batch number to know whether to head to a specific bin, dump its contents on the floor and pull out one mail-in entry or head to the computer to type in the batch number and let the computer randomly select one online entry. It’s all pretty serious business!

We will announce the name of the winner in late October. Keep checking back here for details!

• Posted at 5:29 pm on October 10, 2012

1. Sounded like a female answering the phone!

Guess on October 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm
  2. Congratulations to the winner….

Now where will the 2013 BC house going to be located?

home_girl on October 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    • Please, some place warmer!!! I love the Maine house but my old bones are sure to complain. I don't mind snow as long as it melts within a couple days.

KCDigger on October 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm
    • Here I am, in an area that gets usually around 200 inches of snow a winter. but I also have seen just under 300 inches in a single winter/spring season! I have always said you can put more clothes on, but are really limited to how much you can take off! I wouldn't be as concerned about where the new BC house should be, but make it more reasonable for "older" people . . . less stairs, more bathrooms and a powder room on the first floor. Then there is the issue of having to go outside to get to the basement.! This past BC cabin was really pretty but had sooooo many things that weren't the brightest plans I have ever seen. The homes should NOT be designed by people who have young knees!

karen on October 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm
    • LOL!!! Good point Karen.

Lessie on October 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm
    • I totally agree with you Karen !! I live in Florida, so I'd like to see a place a little cooler !! Here, you can only take off enough so as not to be arrested for indecent exposure !! Hot & Humid !! I agree about the planning of 2012 B. C.; not as well planned as past ones !! I did the whole video tours & wrote down everything I would change but never posted it. The biggest blunder that was made was the omission of bathrooms. The powder room downstairs should have been kept & a guest bathroom should have been added upstairs, of course this is my own opinion !! But that's the biggest boo-boo !!! The rest is things the winner can add in themselves !!

gremol on October 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    • Hi gremol, I agree with you… I live in Central FL and we have had the worst summer in years! The only thing about taking more clothes off is, there is more skin for the pesty bugs to sting or bite! I'm ready for some cooler and dryer air……also I would like to add no access to the basement from the first floor was also a great big boo-boo!!! JMO

Hope your feeling better gremol…

Jennie/Florida on October 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    • I would like to reply to Karen, Lessie, Gremol and Jennie–

All of you had excellent points concerning mistakes which were, we all agree, redundant in this beautiful Blog Cabin 2012! The sad thing is, lack of powder room or interior access to electrical heat and other house systems and no windows/ airflow in upstairs family Mega Den is very poor planning . Furthermore, the likelihood of a winner being able to come up with the means and cash to afford the taxes and move to such a location award at any time is going to more likely fall upon a retiree or someone near that age range, for they will have been in the workforce longer, built up their credit further, been more established and more flexible in terms of decision on a move to the BC location. A family with young children may have a tougher time, simply because they have to sell their existing home first to raise some cash, may not have built sufficient equity, and so there are logistical hurdles to overcome. The BC prize is awarded end of October, giving only 2 months in the present tax year, to sell, if that's one's chosen route, because of tax rules. That's not long for a sales turn around in this market!!! Each of you ladies pointed out the issues and it is true, a cooler climate, is probably a better climate, for the reasons given; but the architect/designer must begin putting logic into the design! Who is Scripps Networks' broadest viewership? Then who can afford to pay the taxes on the big givaways? What is the likelihood that they are more mature audiences, maybe have bad knees–or something else? Hey, I started to age the day I was born! :) Well, my body did. My brain is still plenty nine!B);)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    • We have been retired for 19 years and couldn't come anywhere near to paying that tax bill! My husband worked for the state and while we can afford to live where we are now (we still are not flush with $) , we sure couldn't afford to pay those property taxes or income taxes on the BC house! I wish the best of luck to the winner and best wishes in whatever they choose to do with the house. Enjoy the good fortune!

karen on October 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm
    • Oh Karen, I understand that!. Unfortunately in our present economy that is a real challenge. I was just referring to the greater probability factor that a more established family might be more able to afford the high cost of taxes and closing costs for BC…:|:)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on October 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    • Dahlin', you are so right !! This B.C. was poorly planned. I haven't wanted to say, but now I can (since I'm not the winner), I would not have been able to keep this particular home, I would have had to sell if possible !! I could not move from Florida to Maine, as much as might have liked to give it a try !! Too bad !! So many folks who enter think that winning would solve all their problems, when in reality it would probably cause more, with taxes & all !! I wonder if anyone of our blogging sleuths has stats on how many HGTV/DIY Home winners actually got to keep their home ??

gremol on October 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm
    • home_girl–thanks again for all your photos and on the scene updates…it has been fun having you on the blog ! <3

LLColeman on October 16, 2012 at 3:04 am
  3. So Sad. But it is a little relaxing to know that the winner has been notified. Thanks for the update.
    Congrats to the winner you are very lucky. Enjoy you new Maine home.

StormyWV on October 12, 2012 at 5:56 am
  4. Ok, what I got from the video is that of course the winner was called. Also the winner was a computer entry. And lastly that the winner was a girls.

StormyWV on October 12, 2012 at 6:23 am
  5. Congratulations to the winner!! God's blessings to all!!!

Shortcake6207 on October 12, 2012 at 7:37 am
  6. Welcome neighbor! I'm just down the road so get in touch if you need anything !!!

Lisa Schaffer on October 12, 2012 at 8:43 am
    • Hi Lisa, I just have to tell you that I think your jesture is so kind..So sorry I didn't win, I would love to have
      a good neighbor like you!!

Jennie/Florida on October 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    • Lisa, I do apologize for my choice of words with you, I ment to say that I think you were very sweet and kind to offer your help to the new BC Owner and I would love to have you as a neighbor..Again I do apologize…

Jennie/Florida on October 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  7. Thanks Mary and to all the DIY folks who made this beautiful Maine high poster a reality for some lucky person. Congrats to the winner and enjoy this fantastic new home. It is sure to bring you many hours and days of peace and joy!!!!!

Kimball on October 12, 2012 at 8:55 am
  8. A little disappointed it wasn't me, but So Happy for the Winner!! Enjoy that house in Maine. It's my favorite area and be sure to go to Moody's Diner for some pie!

Michelle Sheehan on October 12, 2012 at 8:56 am
  9. OMG EXCITED 0.0

taylersky on October 12, 2012 at 9:15 am
  10. * I'm over joyed for you and your family , Have the best time of your life there . Very Best of Blessings !!!

Rene'e on October 12, 2012 at 9:28 am