Sep 26

Guest Suite Inspiration

Blog Cabin 2012 Guest Suite Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping market editor Laura Eckstein and her team transformed a blank second-floor space into a cozy guest suite that speaks to location. The “Lodge Living” theme, chosen by online voters, finds expression in simple furniture lines, cozy fabrics and a muted color palette pronounced with pops of brick red and mustard yellow.

The team began shopping for the room’s large furniture items months in advance. Once they arrived on location, they took time to visit quaint, out-of-the-way shops for accessories that would lend personality. “We were so lucky that the area had so many awesome antiques shops,” says Laura. “We were looking for things that would reflect the vibe of the area and also the theme of Lodge Living.”

The guest suite is divided into two spaces: one dedicated to sleep and relaxation and another designed to accommodate quiet conversations, reading and letter writing. A common color palette and fabric patterns connect the two spaces.

“I want any guest who walks into this space to first think, “Wow, this is so pretty. I can’t wait to stay here for a few days’,” says Laura. “And I want them to want to hang out there, spend time, linger and not want to leave.”

To learn more about Laura’s inspiration for the Good Housekeeping guest suite, take the virtual room tour on DIYNetwork.com, then visit Goodhousekeeping.com for more details.

P.S.: Don’t forget to check out a brand new feature that highlights Blog Cabin’s most outstanding features, from furniture fashioned from reclaimed materials to green building details.

• Posted at 9:52 am on September 9, 2012

1. Did everyone see the added 56 photos under the P.S. This thread, that Dylan Eastman and Mary gave us??? Great EXTRA PHOTOS!!! Thanks, Mary and Dylan! Good stuff!!!B):*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm
  2. I love this home…every room inside and out.

Blaze on September 27, 2012 at 7:36 pm
  3. A big thank you to Dylan Eastman for coming all the way to Maine from VA, where he had done such great work on the 2011 Blog Cabin. So reassuring that you brought your expertise to help this Maine beauty renew !

LLColeman on September 28, 2012 at 3:33 am
  4. I love everything about this cabin. Awesome!!! I would be so happy if I won this. Good luck to everyone.

Marcela on September 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm
  5. I would love to know where the bed linens were purchased for this room – the shams, the pillow cases, the throw pillows and the bedspread/duvet. I LOVE the design choice for the bedding … LOVE and I want to try to duplicate or come close to it if I can. Thanks so much!

April E. on September 29, 2012 at 11:32 pm
  6. When you wish upon a star…
    Blog Cabin is a wish come true for someone…
    I hope it’s me <3
    What a beautiful job everyone has done!
    You created a warm, wonderful home…
    My horse has his eye on that barn!
    Good luck everyone :)

Lori on October 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  7. Back from vacation thanks to our lovely triplet daughters celebration of our 25th anniversary. I am in hopes that they didn't forget to enter me daily while I was gone! The guest suite is absolutely perfect. With that and all the other little sleeping nooks, there is room for all the family to gather. I am dreamy thinking about our Blog Cabin Thanksgivings with room for lots of cooks in the awesome kitchen, Christmases that smell like Maine Balsam Fir trees and wreathes made on the deck and endless summer vacations spent with friends and family that can't wait to relax , smell the salt air and feel the joy at Blog Cabin Waldoboro.

Jen4Maine on October 4, 2012 at 9:58 am
  8. (continuing my thoughts…..)
    It was all SO worth it!!!! I was simply FASCINATED by all the Blog Cabin's sponsors web-sites and their beautiful products…It was worth taking all the tours through all their websites and discover their world of elegance, beauty and style. WOW, no wonder this year's Blog Cabin is SUCH a masterpiece! I'd like to thank each one of this year's Blog Cabin's Sponsors…. With them as Sponsors, this year's Blog Cabin took the BEST EVER vintage turn to perfection!!! Simply DIVINE what you all did! SO my hugeTHANK YOU Sponsors, for your presence this year, as you made this year's Blog Cabin possible and SO AWESOME! As a Blogger I have so appreciated YOU! Thank you also Mary for your faithful posts and for keeping us up-to-date on each step of the way….I have also so appreciated you and your lead!
    !

FLH on October 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm
  9. Looks very warm. I have just the home made quilt that I am making now that would add to the flavor.

Dr Donna R Agnew on October 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm
  10. Very nice. I like the lodge look alot. Thanks for posting.
    Buy Here Pay Here