Sep 26

Guest Suite Inspiration

Blog Cabin 2012 Guest Suite Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping market editor Laura Eckstein and her team transformed a blank second-floor space into a cozy guest suite that speaks to location. The “Lodge Living” theme, chosen by online voters, finds expression in simple furniture lines, cozy fabrics and a muted color palette pronounced with pops of brick red and mustard yellow.

The team began shopping for the room’s large furniture items months in advance. Once they arrived on location, they took time to visit quaint, out-of-the-way shops for accessories that would lend personality. “We were so lucky that the area had so many awesome antiques shops,” says Laura. “We were looking for things that would reflect the vibe of the area and also the theme of Lodge Living.”

The guest suite is divided into two spaces: one dedicated to sleep and relaxation and another designed to accommodate quiet conversations, reading and letter writing. A common color palette and fabric patterns connect the two spaces.

“I want any guest who walks into this space to first think, “Wow, this is so pretty. I can’t wait to stay here for a few days’,” says Laura. “And I want them to want to hang out there, spend time, linger and not want to leave.”

To learn more about Laura’s inspiration for the Good Housekeeping guest suite, take the virtual room tour on DIYNetwork.com, then visit Goodhousekeeping.com for more details.

P.S.: Don’t forget to check out a brand new feature that highlights Blog Cabin’s most outstanding features, from furniture fashioned from reclaimed materials to green building details.

• Posted at 9:52 am on September 9, 2012

1. I can see why the Good Housekeeping "seal of approval" was given to the Guest Suite. It is a beautiful combination of the old and the new wrapped in comfy cotton and flannel. I would love to be the one to be able to offer my guests the opportunity to snuggle in for the night in this "5 star" retreat. Can't wait for to hear who the winner will be. Someone will have the chance of a lifetime!!!

Good luck everyone!!!

bythebaydreamer on September 27, 2012 at 8:06 am
  2. There can only be one winner but I feel so blessed to have met you all. Some of you may recall the movie "It's a wonderful life" At the end of the movie George Baily picks up his Tom Sawyer book, opens it, and sees an inscription from his friend Clarence, It says … Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends"

There was a sense of community here. What we shared is a rare thing to find, especially in this day and age. Home is where the heart is and I'm extremely grateful to have met you all. This experience is one I will always cherish. Good luck everyone and may all your hopes and dreams come true.
    Ken

Day Dreamer on September 27, 2012 at 8:54 am
    • I heartily agree, Ken! Hope that you get to see that house on Broad Bay! I checked it out and it has an awesome, deeper water, seaside view, plus a great sun room for those chilly days…. There's so much you could do with that place! Priced more reasonably too.

Good luck, my friend, on Blog Cabin! I know that's where your dream lies! xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm
    • has been a great time getting on here with everyone. you all are some of the most wonderful people I have had the pleasure of chatting with!!!! Hard to believe that the entry period is almost over, went by waaay too fast!!!! Take care all, and, by the way, LOVE the movie "It's a wonderful life", own a black and white version, and colorized version as well!!!!! Wishing luck to all of you as well!!!

penginsmomina on September 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm
  3. I was in Waldoboro recently & dropped by the house. It looks great, especially the back yard/deck/hot tub/dog house…..
    We enjoyed lunch at Morse's Deli (listed as a Deli on my GPS, anyway), which is known for its sauerkraut but has Much, Much More. The small , German restaurant in the back serves enormous portions, so consider sharing an entree (or be prepared to take half home). The shop carries an assortment of German treats. I have no affiliation w Morse's, just a happy customer sharing a review.

NYCMaine on September 27, 2012 at 10:46 am
  4. DIY Network executives recently paid a weekend visit to the Blog Cabin, and according to reports it seems a good time was had by all. I wonder if any of the execs will post a few comments here about their Waldoboro experience and their thoughts on the success of this year's Blog Cabin? What did they think of the cozy "Lodge Living" guest suite theme chosen by online voters?

As part of their visit "All Aboard Trolley [of Rockland, Maine] hosted a private Wine Tour in the Midcoast visiting three area wineries: Savage Oakes, Sweetgrass Winery and Distillery and Breakwater Vineyards. Switching gears in the evening, All Aboard Trolley transported all of the guests in the “party trolleys” with music, lights and lit fireplaces to Cellardoor Winery for a dinner experience “Like no Other.”'

Now that's a great idea for the lucky Blog Cabin winner to put on their party celebration list.

DBCoop on September 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm
  5. Just entered the Sweepstakes for the last time. Fingers and toes crossed that my husband and I can move back to Maine and live in this beautiful home. He's from Maine and I'm from California. We've lived in both states and there is just no comparing the two. "Maine. The way life should be." speaks volumes. Good luck to all.

Myra on September 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm
    • Myra, you can enter tomorrow too before 5:00 p.m. Eastern! Good luck! :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm
  6. I am so excited for this that I am actually dreaming about it and going back to sleep so I can dream about it some more because it is such a happy dream. I am sure if I win this I will be an absolute ball of joyful tears. It would be such an awesome life changer.

Donna on September 27, 2012 at 12:51 pm
  7. this property is very special. all the history with the Robie family. the way the diy crew incorporated original pieces with the new. the detail and imagination really impressed me. the fact that nature is right outside your door to me is price less! everyone involved loves what they do. good luck to everyone. i've never been to Maine, but its special from all i've seen and read!

victoria on September 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm
  8. New Thread Everyone!!! :D :*<3 Good Luck! What an awesome journey–You guys have become very special to me–THANK YOU! <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm
    • Have felt such a strong connection to all of you as well, Time went by way to fast!!!

Penginsmomina on September 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm
    • <3<3<3

LLColeman on September 28, 2012 at 3:31 am
    • :*<3<3<3 Back at ya LL!!!

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm
  9. It is my favorite room.

Angie on September 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm
  10. Where is Waldo? Is he living in Waldoboro? Maybe…What a peaceful wonderful place.

Kathy on September 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm