Sep 26

Guest Suite Inspiration

Blog Cabin 2012 Guest Suite Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping market editor Laura Eckstein and her team transformed a blank second-floor space into a cozy guest suite that speaks to location. The “Lodge Living” theme, chosen by online voters, finds expression in simple furniture lines, cozy fabrics and a muted color palette pronounced with pops of brick red and mustard yellow.

The team began shopping for the room’s large furniture items months in advance. Once they arrived on location, they took time to visit quaint, out-of-the-way shops for accessories that would lend personality. “We were so lucky that the area had so many awesome antiques shops,” says Laura. “We were looking for things that would reflect the vibe of the area and also the theme of Lodge Living.”

The guest suite is divided into two spaces: one dedicated to sleep and relaxation and another designed to accommodate quiet conversations, reading and letter writing. A common color palette and fabric patterns connect the two spaces.

“I want any guest who walks into this space to first think, “Wow, this is so pretty. I can’t wait to stay here for a few days’,” says Laura. “And I want them to want to hang out there, spend time, linger and not want to leave.”

To learn more about Laura’s inspiration for the Good Housekeeping guest suite, take the virtual room tour on DIYNetwork.com, then visit Goodhousekeeping.com for more details.

P.S.: Don’t forget to check out a brand new feature that highlights Blog Cabin’s most outstanding features, from furniture fashioned from reclaimed materials to green building details.

• Posted at 9:52 am on September 9, 2012

1. I have to say that the guest suite is the sweetest room in the house. The refined rustic aesthetics coupled with the warm earth tones makes this room sooooo cozy your guests may not want to leave. Last month I posted a link of a home that's for sale next to Blog cabin. Does anyone happen to remember where I posted it?

Day Dreamer on September 26, 2012 at 8:47 pm
    • Day dreamer I believe it was in the Aug 30th mega den one. But don't think the listing is still there. There is this nice listing for a home in Waldoboro, that nice and on the ocean too, but a lot better price. Looks nice and open floor plan too. http://mainecoastproperties.com/cgi-bin/listman/e

home_girl on September 27, 2012 at 12:45 am
    • home_girl, that is a beautiful home–and right on the ocean…it is a new build, from 2005.

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:25 am
    • Not to burst any bubbles, but the Thomas Lane house is not on the ocean, despite what it says. It's further down Dutch Neck on the west side of Dutch Neck Road off of Brooks Lane. It's actually on the tidal water between Dutch Neck and Gross Neck. The house next to the BC must have sold since the For Sale sign is gone. Considering how much has been on the market here on the Neck without selling for much longer periods of time, I'm thinking she must have sold it at a bargain price or someone really wanted that piece of property.

Camac on September 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm
    • Camac–it must have been a case of "realtor-speak"…plus the top photo banner showed crashing ocean waves…subliminal advertising . So nice to have someone there who shares updates with us !

LLColeman on September 28, 2012 at 3:23 am
    • Good comparable for ARV/FMV…:)<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 28, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Home_girl,
      This house has some serious WOW factor! I'll be in the area this weekend and may try and schedule a viewing. Thank you so much!!!!
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 27, 2012 at 8:14 am
    • Your welcome, I liked the open feel and that it's new (2005) and there is 3 bedroom and 2 1/2 bathroom, fireplace, wood floors and 16.88 ac. of land with it, (about same as the BC house sits on) but no barn that I know of. Looks like the land around the house is open too. if you like it, you might be able to get the price down a little too, who knows.
      If you do, let us know what you think of it.

home_girl on September 27, 2012 at 9:46 am
    • That place is GORGEOUS!!! I bet you don't have to go outside to get to the basement!!! Couple of 100,000 less and the taxes are still over 6,0000 per year.

karen on September 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm
    • It was in the Mega Dens post…here is the listing again:
      http://mainecoastproperties.com/cgi-bin/listman/e… the link now shows a different home now…maybe someone bought it ? : (

I keep thinking about that house, too–and I have only seen realtor photos !!

Here is your post, Ken : http://blog.diynetwork.com/blogcabin/2012/08/30/m

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:20 am
    • How about a renovated 1850's farmhouse w/ 2 barns in nearby Damariscotta for $365. k ? ( fenced for dogs, too) http://mainecoastproperties.com/cgi-bin/listman/e

For same price, Woolwich, ME has a 1790 home w/ stunning barn on 12 acres and has been gently renovated: http://mainecoastproperties.com/cgi-bin/listman/e

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:35 am
    • Oooooo, I should not have looked at that Woolwich home…it is on a pond…and the photos of the home are pretty great….the barn is magnificent, too …right on Montsweag Bay ….many fireplaces… I am smitten.
      It looks close to Wiccasset Airport, and south of Wiccasset….Boothbay is not far , either.

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:50 am
    • LLColeman,
      Thank you!
      You continue to amaze me. I wish I lived closer to you. I know we'd be good friends. It was a pleasure meeting and blogging with you. May all your hopes and dreams come true.
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 27, 2012 at 8:17 am
    • thanks for all your great photos on the blog!

LLColeman on September 28, 2012 at 3:25 am
  2. By far my most favorite spot in the entire house. Love this room even more than the master suite. I think the colors are much more soothing and restful. Great job!!

Myra on September 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm
  3. Am already inspired and ready to hear who the lucky winner will be. I can't pick a favorite place because I love the entire home inside and out. Lol

ronsodattle on September 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm
  4. oh we have come a long way cant believe we are at the end of voting i am still believing thinking dreaming hoping praying to win this home not house but home i am afraid if i have company and they stay in guest room and home and river and waldoro they may never want to leave but cant blame them i love adore everything about this home i ll be home for winning call my number is… love ya and gooduck

michelle scott on September 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm
  5. Wow! I love that bed! I think I would sleep in it :) Nice job on all the rooms… love the house and the land… love to be the one they hand the keys to! Tick-tock…the time is drawing near! Best wishes & good luck ;)

joliekc on September 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm
  6. The guest suite is timeless. Comfy now and will be so for another 20 years. Perfect classic!

idplacemaker on September 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm
  7. I have always been a fan of Good Housekeeping Magazine. I have been reading their mag since I was a little girl. What I am not so sure of is what are they supposed to use the lobster buoy for? Do any of you fellow bloggers have any ideas? One thing that I am greatly impressed with is the thickness of the bed and also the comfiness and coziness of the materials used for the bedding of the guest room. I truly look forward to enjoying the space if I am blessed with the winning of the Blog Cabin.

minnesnowda on September 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm
    • I think I would switch the beds in the guest room and master. I really like the guest bed much better.

karen on October 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm
  8. Love the guest suite and the whole cabin. Which makes sense I voted for most of it. Dreams of visiting Maine and having family stay in the beautiful guest suite by Good Housekeeping for entire summers, Thanksgivings, Winter and Spring Breaks. Thanks to the videos I would remember the G.H. ladies having fun setting it up and shopping in the area for the accessories, which make it more special.

Sharon Skinner on September 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm
  9. Nice work, Good Housekeping staff ! Very best of luck to all you bloggers–what a great group of people ! <3

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:58 am
  10. I love the whole house. Hard to pick my favorite room.

Brenda on September 27, 2012 at 6:13 am
    • have to agree with you, Brenda, this whole house is simply wonderful!!! Very hard to pick a favorite room!!

penginsmomina on September 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm