Sep 26

Guest Suite Inspiration

Blog Cabin 2012 Guest Suite Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping market editor Laura Eckstein and her team transformed a blank second-floor space into a cozy guest suite that speaks to location. The “Lodge Living” theme, chosen by online voters, finds expression in simple furniture lines, cozy fabrics and a muted color palette pronounced with pops of brick red and mustard yellow.

The team began shopping for the room’s large furniture items months in advance. Once they arrived on location, they took time to visit quaint, out-of-the-way shops for accessories that would lend personality. “We were so lucky that the area had so many awesome antiques shops,” says Laura. “We were looking for things that would reflect the vibe of the area and also the theme of Lodge Living.”

The guest suite is divided into two spaces: one dedicated to sleep and relaxation and another designed to accommodate quiet conversations, reading and letter writing. A common color palette and fabric patterns connect the two spaces.

“I want any guest who walks into this space to first think, “Wow, this is so pretty. I can’t wait to stay here for a few days’,” says Laura. “And I want them to want to hang out there, spend time, linger and not want to leave.”

To learn more about Laura’s inspiration for the Good Housekeeping guest suite, take the virtual room tour on DIYNetwork.com, then visit Goodhousekeeping.com for more details.

P.S.: Don’t forget to check out a brand new feature that highlights Blog Cabin’s most outstanding features, from furniture fashioned from reclaimed materials to green building details.

• Posted at 9:52 am on September 9, 2012

1. So exited! I can hardly wait for the Blog Cabin Special. I will win .. I will win.. Ok, someone will win . Will it be you?

StormyWV on September 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm
  2. I spent my annual week in Maine last week and searched and found the blog cabin! It's just as wonderful in person as it is on the websites, they do it justice! I hope that my annual week in Maine can become 365 days a year by having the winning entry! Of course we all do don't we?! ;-)

marchingon on September 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm
  3. I just love, love that mirror <3 I am so excited to think we are finally going to find out who is going to be able to call this home, literally!!! I just pray that whoever wins this will embrace this home like all fellow bloggers because this truly has so much of all of us in it.!! You spend anytime on this blog and you feel the passion that all the bloggers have had through this project. I feel that Barn Dance coming ^_^ the foot is tapping, LOL
    Praying really hard for this to be called home for my family but if we are not to be that blessed then I just hope it goes to a family that will call it home year round :) Good Luck to ALL

heaven-bound23 on September 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm
  4. THANK YOU MARY for all these great posting ^_^ They have been great!!

heaven-bound23 on September 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm
  5. Hey,Hey what do say? We will have a winner soon!

Angelways on September 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm
  6. Good Luck to All, especially my blog buddy who already has the perfect plan for this home; she knows of whom I speak !! It's about time we see some dedicated bloggers win !!!

gremol on September 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm
  7. Mary, Really? Letter writing? Really? That's sooooo last century! LOLOLOL Very quaint. Where's the WiFi? BTW have you noticed…reality check… the post office is going out of business. I'd totally spend time in that room but hand me my kindle and iPod. Charging stations please! Great colors, soothing decor another place and time for sure.

Ashtabulannie on September 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm
  8. The guest suite is very color coordinated it's simple but cabin chic.

pixelecho69 on September 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm
  9. I am sooo Excited! I want to win so badly! If we were to win this would be our first home! OH GOODness I so want to win! ahhh! I love it! T.T I cant wait!

Maria on September 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm
  10. The entire Blog Cabin is just amazing!

Thank you Mary, fellow bloggers, DIY and HGTV for designing and creating this wonderful vacation home. One very, very lucky person will win. Good luck to everyone!

Are your fingers crossed? Mine are!

bythebaydreamer on September 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm