Sep 26

Guest Suite Inspiration

Blog Cabin 2012 Guest Suite Good Housekeeping

Good Housekeeping market editor Laura Eckstein and her team transformed a blank second-floor space into a cozy guest suite that speaks to location. The “Lodge Living” theme, chosen by online voters, finds expression in simple furniture lines, cozy fabrics and a muted color palette pronounced with pops of brick red and mustard yellow.

The team began shopping for the room’s large furniture items months in advance. Once they arrived on location, they took time to visit quaint, out-of-the-way shops for accessories that would lend personality. “We were so lucky that the area had so many awesome antiques shops,” says Laura. “We were looking for things that would reflect the vibe of the area and also the theme of Lodge Living.”

The guest suite is divided into two spaces: one dedicated to sleep and relaxation and another designed to accommodate quiet conversations, reading and letter writing. A common color palette and fabric patterns connect the two spaces.

“I want any guest who walks into this space to first think, “Wow, this is so pretty. I can’t wait to stay here for a few days’,” says Laura. “And I want them to want to hang out there, spend time, linger and not want to leave.”

To learn more about Laura’s inspiration for the Good Housekeeping guest suite, take the virtual room tour on DIYNetwork.com, then visit Goodhousekeeping.com for more details.

P.S.: Don’t forget to check out a brand new feature that highlights Blog Cabin’s most outstanding features, from furniture fashioned from reclaimed materials to green building details.

• Posted at 9:52 am on September 9, 2012

1. I'M ready for a catnap.

yecartleknes on September 26, 2012 at 10:24 am
  2. I really do love this guest suite. The color palette, the fabrics, the furniture…….everything looks great!

Summer on September 26, 2012 at 10:27 am
  3. Bravo, Good House Keeping! The Guest Suite turned out so inviting and beautiful! I really like the way you pulled in the elements of lodge living, without going over the top. Thank you!xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 26, 2012 at 11:17 am
  4. One more day to enter?

Nebraska on September 26, 2012 at 11:27 am
    • Now its one more set of entries.

Nebraska on September 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm
    • Yay! Again, Good luck, Charlotte!;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm
  5. I love it!!

xocoholic on September 26, 2012 at 11:37 am
  6. I just changed my cable package to get DIY so I can watch the special tomorrow. Yay!!

xocoholic on September 26, 2012 at 11:49 am
    • That is devotion.

Nebraska on September 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm
  7. If you're in it to win it, don't miss the Blog Cabin Special, Thursday, September 27 at 9 PM e/p … and, only a couple more days to enter — time officially runs out on the sweepstakes clock Friday, September 28 at 5 PM Eastern Time!

Who wouldn't be thrilled to win, and enjoy, the Blog Cabin's "Lodge Living" guest room and sitting area, along with every nook and cranny of the home that goes along with it — not to mention the awesome backyard patio/living space and Medomak River views!

So call me, DIY! Don't be afraid, you can call me. Maybe it's late, but just call me. Tell me, and I'll be around — I promise — faster than you can say "Waldoboro!"

DBCoop on September 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    • I am so in it to win it. Thanks for the date and time of the Blog Cabin Special.

StormyWV on September 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm
    • Saying " Waldoboro" fast, Coop? How about a tongue twister instead and say " Waldoboro Blog Blurb" 4 times in a row…
      p.s. good luck with your entries.

LLColeman on September 27, 2012 at 3:04 am
    • Good one! Or you could also go with this traditional tongue twister: How much wood would a Waldoboro woodchuck chuck if a Waldoboro woodchuck could chuck wood?

DBCoop on September 27, 2012 at 12:22 pm
  8. So looking forward to the special..Love the guest room suite for members of my family who can now come for a restful weekend or a full summer! (Would be so great to win! )
    I come from the east coast, so does my family of three grown children, now all living on the northern east coast. How I would love to join them and GO HOME! Good luck to everyone who blogs!

Trish on September 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  9. The September 28th deadline is just 2 short days away. I can't wait! I hope I win!

Summer on September 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  10. I love the thick mattress! The mat I am speeping on now is bearly 4-5 inches thick :'( But at least I have that, and the good Lord will provide!!!!

asandmancan on September 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm