Sep 14

Front Yard Landscape: The Final Touch

Our final Blog Cabin 2012 episode airs on Monday evening. Check tune-in details so you don’t miss a beat. And mark your calendar for the one-hour special, which airs on September 27 at 9 p.m. ET.

Today, I share a special sneak peek with you: an exclusive vlog starring Blog Cabin 2012 show host Chris Grundy and Desperate Landscapes show host Jason Cameron. I love the insider details they share here. Can you imagine transforming a front yard in just eight hours?

• Posted at 3:08 pm on September 9, 2012

1. Gotta get me some knee pads! Seriously, not only does this look fabulous now but I can totally picture it in a few years when the plants and things have grown and the landscape matures. Me and the landscape maturing together, a match made in DIY Heaven!

Robin G on September 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm
  2. Guys, nice job on the front of the house. It looks perfect!

Eileen on September 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  3. It is amazing how many people have worked so diligently for a vacation home that will be given away. A scrapbook book with pictures, descriptions, and signatures of everyone involved would make a great memento for the winner. Of course if I win – I’ll search the DIY web site & copy & paste myself. Everyone that helped build this cabin will have to come back for one big party and sign by their picture!

chewag01 on September 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm
  4. The front landscaping is designed to appeal to typical DYI viewers, and offer ideas for home projects across the country. THe latest trends are what DYI is great at promoting. The question I have is why doesn't the Blog Cabin's landscape of seasonal flowers, shrubs, small scale trees and artfully arranged boulders portray a Main farmhouse aesthetic, or for that matter, any 1884 American house landscape? It would be inspiring to see historically researched native plantings and their traditional placement, whatever they may be. Nowadays people seek authenticity. People want more real, honest, culturally authentic items in their homes and clothing and supermarkets. I don't mean to suggest DYI should re-create 1884 farm, but when making landscape decisions, referencing a property's history can provide simple logical design solutions that fit the local environment. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.
    That said, many of us dream of changes that could make our homes perfect, but we are fortunate to have the BC as the starting point to begin feathering personal nest!! There is plenty of land for gobs of blueberry bushes and for evergreens to make a huge Christmas wreaths for the barn doors. I can smell the pine and feel the sticky prickly needles already….someone's got to do it, I'll make the sacrifice ! ha!

idplacemaker on September 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm
  5. Love all the flowers and the boulders. I even love the way all of the backdrop of the house with all of the new plantings. I happen to love the way many of the features are repurposed like the pump in front of the house. This home will be a blessing to anyone that wins it. Best wishes :)

minnesnowda on September 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm
  6. YankeeNuke a holly shrub might look nice there in the middle to cover the blank space where the birch tree is. A pretty shape might give it a good focus point for the front yard.

home_girl on September 19, 2012 at 1:38 am
  7. I have to say that every member of the DIY Network team has contributed above and beyond expectations this year to create a masterful BC, especially the very talented and entertaining Chris Grundy. All of the custom furniture and cabinets, the gorgeous and challenging outdoor designs, the beautiful combinations of rustic/farm-style elements with sleek modern and pre-war-style finishes that embody the home with warmth and history to please us folks who treasure the past, while, also incorporating enough newer elements for comfort and interest to folks who can imagine a better future.

peter_lakewood_ranch on September 19, 2012 at 2:12 am
  8. Grundy is sportin' a HOTSET of knee pads! Love the sophisticated style created by repurposing old with new. There is an authentic feel with the repurposing of materials. USA built with blood sweat and tears all the way back to the coal/gold mines, churning your own butter, moving rocks/boulders, planting your roots, like pegs on a ladder, and spokes on a wheel this home will stand the test of time for it has come full circle! LIke Chris said, "It is just BAD BAD BAD!" Truly Lilly Love the Star Trek accent used when moving the boulders :P

Lilly on September 19, 2012 at 11:08 am
  9. We are down to single digit days!

Nebraska on September 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    • Hope you are feeling a bit better, Charlotte. It won't be that long before we have the winner's name announced .

LLColeman on September 20, 2012 at 2:05 am
    • Greetings LL, and Fellow Bloggers! Knowing that we are in the "single digits" is tough! UGH! Waiting.. waiting.. waiting.. I have been trying to keep my mind off of the sweeps by doing some outdoor stuff — and yet I keep thinking of the Blog Cabin and all the "What IF's"?!?. What if I were the lucky one?? How would I decorate for fall or the upcoming holiday's? Just imagine! A vacation-home for ALL four seasons! To be a witness of all the changes in nature’s landscape would be so rewarding. I even think of how rewarding it would be to decorate with what is provided by the great outdoors. Not sure who said it but a wreath on the barn is a must! :) Can you picture a Christmas tree located in the living room/foyer? (Later, I would transplant it outdoors – -a personal nod in memory of Dad.)

Lilly on September 21, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    • How are you feeling, Nebraska? I do hope stronger, less unsteady and your bruises disappearing and less sore! Thought of you daily and hope you are on the mend. I love the healing, uplifting sensation I feel when I am in Maine. I can't explain it. There's nothing magical about it, but there's a freshness there, a simplicity to living that, to me is very healthy–I believe it would be for you also, should you be the grand prize winner and be able to keep it. It's a lot different from Omaha, for sure, but you already know that. I believe it would be so good for you! Best of luck, Charlotte! xDB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm
  10. Wow I cannot believe they did that so well in just 8 hours! They would have to really know what they are doing. Great yard!

AgBrown on September 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm