Sep 14

Front Yard Landscape: The Final Touch

Our final Blog Cabin 2012 episode airs on Monday evening. Check tune-in details so you don’t miss a beat. And mark your calendar for the one-hour special, which airs on September 27 at 9 p.m. ET.

Today, I share a special sneak peek with you: an exclusive vlog starring Blog Cabin 2012 show host Chris Grundy and Desperate Landscapes show host Jason Cameron. I love the insider details they share here. Can you imagine transforming a front yard in just eight hours?

• Posted at 3:08 pm on September 9, 2012

1. This is the FIRST dream home from any network/program!!!! On top of that, it is in a location my family fell in love with 5 years ago and has visited for every summer since. Each summer we spend a week at Camp Sunshine, outside Casco. Camp Sunshine is a very special family camp for families of children with cancer. We always say we would love to have a summer vacation home up there. We would love to spend the summer in Maine and escape the Texas heat!!! Winning this house would in deed be a dream come true!!

The Raulerson on September 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm
    • I got so excited I messed up the first sentence!! I intended to say, "This is the FIRST dream home from any network/program that I absolutely love every piece of and wouldn't change a single thing!!!!"

Tammy on September 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm
    • Good luck, Tammy Raulerson and Family!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm
  2. The show was great. I like Josh alot. Liked the boulders. I was surprised they only talked to two of the neighbors. But glad they did give their thoughts.

vicki_in_Utah on September 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    • Hi Vicki, I thought Chris and Jason worked great together, but they didn't fool around like the other designers did..They had to get the job done in one day and when they finished, of course it was a beauty…They sure added lots of assorted flowers and dogwoods, but I didn't catch the name of the dogwood, did you? I wish they had added some boulders over by the barn and with some flowers to connect the two places together..Did you catch the names of those neighbors Jason interviewed??

Jennie/Florida on September 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm
    • It was Michelle Riposa (sp?) and Ron Colvin. Michelle lives between me and the BC (next door to where Victoria stayed) and her husband did some sanding on some of the recycled wood that was used. The Colvins live at the end of the Neck in the section called "Butterpoint".

Camac on September 18, 2012 at 12:22 am
    • Thanks Camac for answering Jennie's question, I didn't catch their names. Did you know they were going to be on the show?

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 8:38 am
    • No , I didn't. I'll have to catch up with Michelle and find out if she knew. I found it amusing that they used the standard “Desperate Landscapes” line about only so many more hours before the neighbors come home. Commuting and regular hours are not common here. Dutch Neck is a lot of senior citizens, seasonal residents (during the summer), some self-employed people (lobsterman, builder, a guy who does mowing, etc.) – in other words, there isn't a standard time when people are coming and going. The closest thing to a set time would be high or low tide (which changes every day) when the clammers come and go.

Camac on September 18, 2012 at 9:44 am
    • Camac, I guess Michelle and Ron were told to keep it quit.

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 11:32 am
    • Jennie/Florida, I agree boulders on the barn side would tie the two properties together. There is a stonewall and also some wild flowers including lupine on the barn side. Everything is overgrown there, and if it were "cleaned up" it would also look very pretty. In exploring the barn property you may also find some other "treasures" that are hidden in the overgrown grasses. Perhaps not as nice as the antique pump, but you never know. Good luck!

bythebaydreamer on September 18, 2012 at 2:26 am
    • I was hoping that they would do something to the barn area too like the boulders and plants, since the front yard was so small. I have seen him and his crew do some real big places in less time. Jason doesn't fool around like the others, he just gets the job done.

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 8:36 am
    • Jason is the MVP of front yard makeovers on the DIY network!!

The BC front yard didn't offer the excitement of the eight hour time crunch which is a major part of the Desperate Landscape show. I'm use to seeing Jason & his crew tackling Big Jobs, filming muti-tasking Get 'er Done moments, using big machinery, and barely maintaining controlled chaos while curb enhancing projects are happening everywhere in a front yard !! This show lacked that excitement.
      I did hear both of Jasons' catch phrases though–
      "Go Big or Go Home" and
      "We're doing the work to take this Blog Cabin ( Landscape) from Worst to First" :)
      Regardless of not being the typical exciting show, the transformation to the front yard REMAINS COMPLETELY IMPRESSIVE!!

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 9:35 am
    • Jennie the name of the planting you asked about is the Red Twig Dogwood.

That really made me smile! I had asked for plantings that display red bark in the winter, knowing that would really pop against the green of the home. I was so glad to see they did this.

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 8:47 am
    • Hi Mel !!! Have you been on an extended vacation? Before Jasons' Special I expected to see a post from you…I'm sure you enjoyed the Special as much as I did…I've counted 12 differents plants and trees so far. I'm sure I have missed a few…It was sad to know some of Jasons work didn't make it due to lack of watering and care..But since then someone has replaced the sick ones with nice Fall color plants…I think they are mums…they look good with the green siding! Fall is my favorite time of year and I'm looking forward to my trip to the B/R mountains and Maggie Valley in October…

Jennie/Florida on September 18, 2012 at 9:42 am
    • Jennie, no I hosted a big birthday bash for my hubby this past weekend that kept me really, really busy. I was with the blog in spirit though :)
      It was great to see updated pics from Home_girl and hear about the driveway on the house side from Camac. Happy belated Birthday Home_girl !!
      You should enjoy Beautiful fall foliage this year on the Parkway. I don't know if you have ever visited Lake Toxaway NC. It's close to Maggie Valley, and just beautiful. I wouldn't mind Scripps building a giveaway home there one year in the future. There are long mountain range and water views. I'm going to post a link to a Lake Toxaway video. The area is exquisite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzImz4TembM

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 10:47 am
    • Thanks for the link Mel, if they haven't pick a place for 2013 BC, maybe they should consider Lake Toxaway.

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 11:36 am
    • Vicki it would be a dream to have a view of both long mountain ranges and water.
      Maybe there are other great places bloggers can suggest?
      I love to learn about different areas of the USA that enjoy great natural beauty that I might want to take a family vacation at.

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    • Thank you Mel…. what a beautiful place that is..We have been going up to the mountains in the Fall, since the middle 80s and thought we had covered all of N/C…Don't know how we could have missed this gorgeous area…I would love to have a Cabin on one of those lakes
      with a view of the mountains and valleys..It is also close to DIY headquarters and they wouldn't have to drive far to build a "Real Blog Cabin" on a lake….I hope someone at DIY reads our Blogs…Blog Cabin 2013 should be located at Lake Toxaway, NC..Please DIY!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    • Jennie Lake Toxaway isn't well known, not even by folks that live in NC. Lake Lure gets all the attention, maybe because it's closer to Asheville.
      There's lots of real estate opportunities at Lake Toxaway, from mansions to more affordable cabins. There's a true sense of serenity and seclusion, yet there are vacation type amenities that offer some pampering for those that prefer a spa day, to boating, hiking, fishing, golfing, etc…
      I just know I would never, ever get tired of the view :)

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  3. Lilly, we were blogging about LLBean over the winter while we waited for the crews to get the work done inside. Good reminder, and the Water Hog mat sounds like the perfect item for the BC.

LLColeman on September 18, 2012 at 3:37 am
  4. So true Miss Hokie ! This was originally a year round home, but we know DIY's trick of calling them vacation retreats… I agree about the missed opportunities.

LLColeman on September 18, 2012 at 3:39 am
  5. Dear Mr. JC,
    You took a Desperate Landscape and transformed it into a front yard that is dynamic, dramatically dreamy and downright delightful.

It's a landscape design that was discussed in detail by myself and other bloggers. I love, love, love it!
    It was nice to discover while watching the show, that the pergola was made by Trex, and will never need painting.

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 8:12 am
    • Mel, was that ever mentioned that the pergola was by Trex? Before this show I mean. I was surprised, but happy. The thoughts of having to paint that thing every few years was not good.

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 8:43 am
    • I don't believe it was ever mentioned but during the filming it showed one of their labels on the pergola like an ad!

karen on September 18, 2012 at 9:37 am
    • Vicki & Karen I had never seen it mentioned before the show that the pergola was made by Trex. I heard them say on the show it was made by Trex, and wouldn't need to be painted, Good News!!

Karen I saw the Trex emblem too- at least their emblem is pretty :)

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 9:55 am
  6. The front yard landscaping is beautiful and looks like it will be easy upkeep (hopefully for me!)
    Question: the well that Jason had a boulder put on top of, will the mulch and top soil be washed into it with the fall rains?

BShejen on September 18, 2012 at 8:49 am
    • BShejen, Jason covered the cistern with a 5 ton boulder, and placed other boulders around that. The cistern was covered up nicely, and should pose no problems or concerns for the winner.
      Best of Luck :)

Mel on September 18, 2012 at 9:58 am
  7. Good Morning Fellow Bloggers. Sadly there are only 10 more days of blogging for the BC 2012. Happily there are only a few weeks before we find out who the very, very lucky person to win this amazing home will be. I am hoping that I am "the lucky one", who can reap the rewards of the great choices bloggers have chosen. These choices combined with the craftsmanship of the extremely skilled craftspeople who renovated and repurposed each piece of this house and made the Blog Cabin 2012 a one of a kind homestead to be enjoyed by future generations. Whoever the new owner will be Best of Luck!!!

My fingers are still crossed!

bythebaydreamer on September 18, 2012 at 8:56 am
  8. Boy I bet that systern was a surprise, I wonder why it hadn't been mentioned before poor Jason had to deal with it? But I liked his solution…cover it with a bolder. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on September 18, 2012 at 11:38 am
    • Hi Vicki…I don't know anything about that well system, but if I had to make a decision on how to solve the problem, I think I would have filled the hole completely with small boulders or big gravel just to make sure it didn't cave in later..Better to be safe than sorry…

Jennie/Florida on September 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm
  9. Hello, Wondering how are the winters in that part of Maine? Do you get a lot of power outages, need a generator, does the town do a good job of keeping the roads clear? This house seems to fit all seasons of the year just perfectly.

Angela on September 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm
    • A generator would be a very good idea to have in this area–there are storms and power outages. The town has good services, according to neighbors who participate in the blog, such as Camac, Another neighbor, Lisa Lane; and then there are some of us who either live in Maine or know the area well, such as Home_girl, DwnSoDwnEaster and others. I think the house is insulated for winter, it has heat, but most of us bloggers feel that a set of internal access stairs are needed to the cellar. Those that were there were removed and never replaced during remodel. All systems are in cellar and entry now is at a small Hobbit door at the South side of the house and very inaccessible during a storm. Best to you! KittyxD

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 21, 2012 at 11:52 pm
  10. This is a cool house. The guys working on it put much love into it.

Jimmy Rogers on September 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm