Sep 14

Front Yard Landscape: The Final Touch

Our final Blog Cabin 2012 episode airs on Monday evening. Check tune-in details so you don’t miss a beat. And mark your calendar for the one-hour special, which airs on September 27 at 9 p.m. ET.

Today, I share a special sneak peek with you: an exclusive vlog starring Blog Cabin 2012 show host Chris Grundy and Desperate Landscapes show host Jason Cameron. I love the insider details they share here. Can you imagine transforming a front yard in just eight hours?

• Posted at 3:08 pm on September 9, 2012

1. I feel Maine in MY vein. <3

ksboiko on September 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm
  2. It is beautiful, though many of the plants looked dead when I saw them in July. I know that DIY will deliver the property in tip top condition to the winner, so I am not worried about that, but it was sad to see so many of Jason's plants withered and dry then after all that hard work. I do think the rocks look great however they may become an issue with the municipal snow plow people. I'm not sure what the regulations are on roadside barriers to snow plowing? So it's a we'll see situation… Looking forward to Monday!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 14, 2012 at 7:49 pm
    • Kitty if I win, I will make up 3-4 foot tall metal posts with red flags to show where the edge of the road is.

YankeeNuke on September 15, 2012 at 2:46 am
    • Where we live the plows knock them over regularly. They're more to absolve the city from blame for damaged yards than any guarntee the plow will miss them. But you can hope.

Anniesown on September 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    • Do you need irrigation equipment in this part of Maine? I don't think I saw any being installed.

John Patterson on September 18, 2012 at 7:05 am
  3. The front is so beautiful, the lupins just make it so much more Maine! The rocks will protect the plants and the snow plow will learn early on how close it can come otherwise it will have repairs to it's blades. Everytime I look at this home it gives me a peace of mind…

Blaze on September 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm
  4. For all those that can't get DIY TV, can now watch some more episodes of Blog cabin. They got the other ones up now, go check them out.

home_girl on September 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    • yay ! thanks for the heads up, and also for all you have shared about Maine this past year. <3

LLColeman on September 15, 2012 at 4:01 am
    • I finally have the DIY channel so this year I can actually watch when they're aired! I know from previous years, though, how hard it is to read all the blog comments but not be able to see those shows. Last season most of the episodes were not posted until long after the contest was over and the winner announced. Thank you so much home_girl for letting others know this year the additional episodes are already available. I am sure they will be very much appreciated by everyone who doesn't get the DIY channel.

SID on September 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • I remember that last year, Sid. Home_Girl has been such a trouper, keeping us posted and informed in writing and visually about BC this year–thanks for bringing it up! I'm glad you can now get DIY!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm
    • I just watched a couple of the new ones. FINALLY !! Now if I could just watch the Yard Crashers video which seems to have a problem with buffering…..:(

Myra on September 16, 2012 at 12:47 am
    • Myra I seem to have the same problem with that one too, so it's not only my computer. I guess they need to fix it for us.
      Camac says they now have a driveway next to the house, wonder if we'll see pictures of that soon too.

home_girl on September 16, 2012 at 1:00 am
    • Thank you home_girl, I had missed the mega den one. I watched it last night. It seems funny that this was the 2nd time they had re-purposed the wood rain rutters. If they were in that good of shape too bad they didn't put them back up. Or new rain gutters.

vicki_in_Utah on September 16, 2012 at 8:40 am
    • Good point, Vicki!:DB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm
  5. The house is sooooo close to the road that would scare me. Especially not being too steady on the feet. Took another tumble folks – great big shiner and swollen face.

Nebraska on September 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    • Very sorry to hear about your tumble. Perhaps you will need to acquire either one of those canes with a base that is slightly articulated to make it more stable for walking. My wife has Parkinson's and is still refusing to use a cane but has a problem with falls and balance. Hope that whoever wins is able to keep the house and enjoy it.

YankeeNuke on September 15, 2012 at 2:51 am
    • Nebraska, so sorry to hear about that ! I hope you will be feeling better soon…that is very frustrating to be unsteady on your feet. <3

LLColeman on September 15, 2012 at 4:03 am
    • Hi Nebraska, I'm so sorry to hear of your fall, I hope you are OK and I hope you have someone close by to help you when you take these falls..I agree with you, from the start we begged DIY to move the house closer to the river, that it was too close to the road…I guess that would have cost to much and wasn't in the budget…When it snows everything will be buried! The owner will need something out there by the road like YankeeNuke said, some tall metal posts with red flags to indicate the property line…Please be careful and take care!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 15, 2012 at 9:23 am
    • Nebraska please be careful, and don't be too proud to use a cane or walker if they will make walking safer. If you can remove any trip hazards – like throw rugs, and watch out for those dear little pets that love to stay close to our feet. Also make sure the lighting is good at night. We are all getting there who are blessed to be given a long life. You are very much loved here and we don't want you to seriously injure yourself or break a bone in a fall.<3

SID on September 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm
    • Oh, Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear about your tumble and injuries! My heart goes out to you! Do you have family or friends nearby on whom you can call to help out? Probably some rest, perhaps some icepack–well you're a PhD and Nurse–I'm preaching to the Choir–But you know what I mean. I, too am often unsteady or lose balance, or lose feeling altogether in my extremities, so I empathize. You have recently lost a lot of weight too, so perhaps your strength is affected? Please do care for yourself! I have begun using a cane on days that I feel more vulnerable–and I confess that I hate it! I, too, dislike the proximity of BC to the road and that green–ugh!–blends in with the grass–well, the proximity thing is not so unusual up there, so at least natives are used to it, in terms of their driving. If you win and keep it, you will find so much kindness in Mainers, a sense of caring and community, no airs–just down to earth good folks. You almost know 2 neighbors already: Camac and Lisa. May God heal your bruises quickly, and give you renewed strength to improve balance and steadiness (((HUGS))) Kitty<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm
    • I have a cane-felt unsteady and I was reaching for it when I fell.

Nebraska on September 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    • It is sad, but that seems to be what happens in most of the falls. The individual has their cane or walker just a few steps away and plans to hold onto something enroute to it, but falls, probably due to weakness/unsteadiness, trying to get to the cane or walker. It frightens me terribly and very personally, for that is what happened to my Mom–she thought she could hold onto her kitchen counter and walked away from her walker, but fell and in her case, could not get up…we never heard her, if she called out. Dear Nebraska, LOVE and CARE for YOURSELF!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    • Adorable little penguin avatar! :D <3

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm
    • The avatar- is a motion one that doesn't motion on here. It shows a another penguin coming up and getting knocked over! I'm the penquin that gets knocked over! Kind of felt like me lately.

Nebraska on September 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    • hope you heal quickly, sorry you got so banged up when you fell!!! may the Good Lord heal you quickly!! take care

Penginsmomina on September 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    • Oh dear Nebraska, is it because of your back? I know my hubby has that problem.

vicki_in_Utah on September 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    • The neck and residual numbness at times! My foot drops.

Nebraska on September 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm
    • As long as you didn't break anything but your pride !!! Hope your shiner heals fast & you aren't too sore !! Anyone know just how much traffic is actually on this road ?? I sorta' thought it was more or less a private road !!?? Any 411 would be nice !!

gremol on September 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    • Nebraska – Hope you are feeling better and your eye & face heal quickly. ;)

StellaF on September 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm
    • Sorry to hear about your spill Nebraska. I have a big goose egg on my forehead, but it's from the one year old Great Dane we just adopted. He gave me a head butt! Good luck on your entries.

SweetLiz on September 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    • Hi SweetLiz! Sorry your new Baby head butted you. Hope you feel better soon. Bless you for taking in a Great Dane–i just love them! May your time together be wonderful and sweet as you are!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    • Thanks Kitty, It's now a pretty shade of greenish yellow! I am currently trying to train him that the sofas are not his bed. I think my hubby made an error inviting him to cuddle with him on the sofa…live and learn.I also wanted to thank you for keeping the blog for the Maine blog cabin interesting and lively with all your personal touches. Good luck to you.

SweetLiz on September 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm
    • And good luck to you as well, SweetLiz! I always look forward to your posts and enjoy your insightful blog participation. It's been fun, especially because this year's BC is from my neck of the woods. But I look forward to learning something new wherever the next one is…See you there! :p:D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm
  6. I adore all the boulders!! I too discovered how close to the road the house was but… I assume it is fine – considering all the workers & equipment that had to be right in front every day as the house/yard was being restructured.

I wish my area offered DIY Network but, it doesn't. I'll have to be content reading everyone elses views and by looking thru all the pics & videos.

Someone out there is getting ready to have their life completely changes……………..

StellaF on September 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    • Look at the Full episodes in the red border at the top of page, it now showing most of the show you can't see on T.V

home_girl on September 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm
    • You are the BEST, Rhonda, to keep the Blog informed!!! Thank you! How's your Mom's recovery coming along?:D^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm
    • Kitty, My mother is doing well now, thanks for asking. She on her own and feeling better, still have pain but her doctor told her that was normal, for all the work he had to do.

home_girl on September 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm
    • I'm so happy to know that she is healing nicely! Give her my best, please!:)^_^ Kitty Zaugg

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 15, 2012 at 10:04 pm
    • I'm feelin' for you! I'm in rural TN and no cable. WE just got cellphone coverage in my neighborhood. This is my web link to the HGTV world as well. Good luck to you. Yep! Someone's life is soon to change.

Trish on September 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm
  7. Nothing gives me warm and fuzzy feelings like that i have a chance to call the BC home. What a blessing this home is going to be for the winner of 620 Dutch Neck Rd..Good luck to everyone. God bless you.

Cindy on September 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm
    • And the same to you, Cindy! Thank you!xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm
  8. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm Ready!!!!xD

asandmancan on September 14, 2012 at 10:49 pm
  9. Hey Mary…Thank you so much for the sneak peek for the upcoming Desperate Landscape episode this Monday….can't wait to watch it! Wise Grundy on his knee pads….way to go! The landscape is SO beautiful…love that pump feature and the boulders. They add so much character to it all! …and Mary, ONE HOUR special on Sept 27th? It sounds like a great time to start the celebrations as the entering the sweeps period will wrap up right after that and then, we will all be waiting to find out who will be that special and very blessed chosen one, who will become: the winner…..wouldn't it be SO thrilling to know that indeed one of the bloggers actually becomes the winner!!!! May it be the perfect person who will care for the Blog Cabin, will treasure it and appreciate each detail of such masterpiece!
    Well, a GREAT weekend to you Mary and to all …and to those who enjoy football…..tune in for the Vols X Gators game….GO VOLS!!!!!!

FLH on September 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm
  10. So in love with everything about this home and location. It takes my breath away. Thank you for giving all of us something to dream about!

GloJean on September 15, 2012 at 1:16 am