Sep 13

If An Old Home Could Talk

Blog Cabin 2012 Beautiful Pictures

I wonder what Blog Cabin’s walls would have to say? “Ouch,” “Thank you” or maybe “Oh wow, I can breath again.”

Today, I am proud to share a new slideshow packed with some of the most breathtaking images captured at the Blog Cabin home site over the span of the last few months. Some showcase the remodeling process or a how-to project in process while others capture the home in as-is condition. Click through the pics and share your thoughts. Have you been entering the home giveaway twice daily? I hope so!

• Posted at 11:27 am on September 9, 2012

1. Thanks for finally sharing so many photos. Maybe the house said " ouch" during certain points in the renovation; once the bigger windows and sliders were in, the house said, " wow, I can breathe again ! " I hope the house would ultimately say "thank you" for being made weather-tight, warmer and more energy efficient, for the new plumbing and wiring,,,,,, and the A C in the master suite and gaming area.
    However, if the house had the mirror held up to its gaze for the cosmetic reveal, there might be mixed reviews…does the house look newer now ? Yes, far younger than a home built in 1884–in fact the architectural style has been changed ! It is no longer a classic Maine Cape…that may cause the home to have an identity crisis.
    How would the home react to the new siding color ? Since we are projecting our opinions onto the home, some might say the home would love the color, and others like myself would have the house remark that it will " take some getting used to" : Kermit the Frog used to sing " It's Not Easy Being Green "….LOL ;)

LLColeman on September 14, 2012 at 3:40 am
    • I have to agree with Kermit on that comment LL! HAHA!!! I still can't get used to the green–that's just not such a Maine thing, though the curb appeal, based upon the photos is beautiful. I would have loved to see it that way in person when i was there, it broke my heart to see so many dead plants after all of Jason's landscaping work. I know it will be fixed, it was just sad. I do love the raised stone berry beds as opposed to the wood framed ones we were shown in the vote! Well done and a VERY pleasant surprise!!! xD<3 KittyI

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm
    • Good observations, LLC. And certainly (re)begs the question, when HGTV/diy/etc are redoing old homes, how far from the original architecture and interior styling should they wander to "update"? Their work is always incredible, but is historical integrity being pushed too far aside? Just a thought.

redbarnartist on September 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm
    • You make a good point, Redbarnartist. We Bloggers try hard to keep DIY reminded of original or historic parts. We begged, for example, for them to bring back the original antique door knocker, even though it was not one of the 3 choices given to us for vote. Thankfully, we were heard! Keeping, however, the original historic integrity is a different thing. DIY is in the business of marketing its sponsors and programs, so that element also gets thrown into the decision mix…ultimately, we have a beautiful picture of potpourri on an improved scale, depending upon whose opinion one is accepting. :) B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm
  2. Here is an old home that may be still on the market–on the Medomak (across a one lane road) in a town called Bremen, which is south of Waldoboro. For antique home –with an attached barn–fans, this might be very appealing: built in 1720 !!
    It has forced air heat (and a small homely kitchen with bad remodel job), but many original features still remain. The wide plank pumpkin pine floors are hopefully sound–if not, they could be carefully salvaged and re- used somehow. It is a project house, $ 199,000. ( price negotiable) on 15 acres of land. Low annual taxes: http://mainecoastproperties.com/cgi-bin/listman/e

LLColeman on September 14, 2012 at 4:03 am
    • I saw it, LL! Thanks for sharing–there's also land with access to the Broad Bay waterfront available for sale across the street. That's a wider more open water view! When I perused the realtor's remarks and content, I got the feeling an offer would be contemplated–So much for sale has been stagnant on the market, people are now anxious to sell and move on, where they, too, can still negotiate a decent deal. Those in the real estate market should ponder this… :) :pB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm
    • I hope it is not a $$ pit ! Some work was obviously done in order to have forced air heating. I was sorry to see that kitchen–the original must have been so fantastic. I am glad DIY did not get this one, I must admit…I could not bear to see a home from 1720 changed too much.
      I do like the big windows DIY put in the back of the BC house to take in the view–it would be tempting to alter this kitchen a bit to get some of the view and put big windows in dining area, which the photo caption notes has a view of the Medomak. I wish the photos included one of the barn–it sounds like a combination garage and barn storage. I was thinking the conservancy might also want to get some of this land donated, plus if the buyer purchased the 10 acres by the water, that could be donated also with rights for personal use… a smaller parcel of land would lower the property tax bill.

LLColeman on September 15, 2012 at 4:39 am
  3. On picture #26 the jeweley chest that they used, I think the thing on top of it is a old soda bottel box. Anyone know for sure?

vicki_in_Utah on September 14, 2012 at 5:31 am
  4. Everyday I am preparing for the winter's of Maine. At least I do have a few things I wouldn't completely freeze to death right off the get go but to live there I believe it wouldn't make a difference I can only dream of my very own home in a place I have not been to since 1980. I watch all the episodes look at the pics and just cannot get over the beauty of this old house. Take me home country roads.. my heart is heavy.

Beatrice on September 14, 2012 at 7:23 am
  5. I love the land that leads back behind the bard to the pond. It looks like a magical forest! So glad they donated it to be preserved forever. Great house, lovey location! Good luck everyone! and Yes, I'm voting Mary :) ))

joliekc on September 14, 2012 at 10:50 am
    • also love how this area looks like it has not moved with the flow of time, simply wonderful!!!! I grew up walking through the woods with my cousins, never forget how wonderful it was!!!! Nothing like it!! good luck to you as well!!

Penginsmomina on September 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm
  6. I'm loveing the new pic's. I've ben waiting for them and I was not disapointed! B) Though I would like to see more of the bassment!
    Has there ben any new updates to the barn? Electricity and water would be nice! xD

asandmancan on September 14, 2012 at 11:24 am
  7. Any one know how the hot tub works? Is it an old stile Fire-heat or is it Electric???

asandmancan on September 14, 2012 at 11:52 am
    • I think it is fire heated. :) And to answer your question below, there were no plans to do any work on the barn—that is up to the winner. There are pictures of the basement in early blog posts, maybe between December through February is my guess. You'll just have to go back on old blogs, till you find a post by Mary that has pictures–sorry, I can't recall exactly when. Good luck! KittyxD

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 14, 2012 at 8:05 pm
    • Thank you Mrss Kitty. I know I can allways rely on you for good info!!! :*
      I will look for them. Thank you!!!

Fire Heated… That's horibile. I don't know maybe im just lazy!!!! :|

asandmancan on September 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    • According the the manufacturers website the wood fired tub is a lot more efficient than gas or electricity. It's much quicker unless you have a very powerful gas or electric heater and costs next to nothing to heat. Gas and electric heating are vey expensive and, genenerally, slower.

Anniesown on September 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm
    • Anniesown on September 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm
    • Hi Anniesown, I looked at the tub website and liked the second photo and was thinking, it would be nice if they had put the hot tub in front of the Master Bedroom and sunken it like in the Photo!!
      Everything is down at other end of the Deck and patio and could have been equally distributed on the deck and patio..The New Owner could have enjoyed the tub with a little more privacy..Just My Thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on September 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    • Nice ideas. I thnk they're thinking PARTY house. Keep everything down one end near the kitchen and leave the master bedroom with a little privacy if needed. That's irrelevant as everyone would be tramping to it to use the bathroom of course. If the deck were reinforced or the tub sunk lower onto a concrete support it would work outside the MBR for sure. There would be a need for two wood piles then of course. :)

Anniesown on September 16, 2012 at 5:51 am
  8. My goodness, what a beautiful place. However, I do think about the temperature. We are such wimps living in Houston. The summers are HOT and the winters mostly are warm, lots of days in the 80s. Think I'll go check the Waldoboro temp today!!

Lucy Brookshire on September 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm
  9. I don't know about that, by what we hear. I think he's sticking pretty close to the dutch neck rd area and keeping people on their toes, taken their chicken and other small livestock. :S

home_girl on September 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm
  10. Great pics you have an excellent crew working together I love to see these before and after photos.

pixelecho69 on September 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm