Sep 6

Matt and Chris Rap It Up

Are you ready for Monday night’s Yard Crashers episode of Blog Cabin 2012?

Here’s a special treat on the eve of our fifth episode: an exclusive vlog starring Chris Grundy and Matt Blashaw. Watch the video, check out Monday’s tune-in time and check out the how-to project from this episode (instaling a cobblestone system).

Enjoy!

• Posted at 5:14 pm on September 9, 2012

1. New Thread Blogging Buddies!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm
  2. I loved watching Matt and Grundy making the bathroom into something spectacular.
    Way to go guys!!!

June Sampson on September 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm
  3. Just a general note- could some of the bloggers look up the words "there" and "their" and learn which one should be used where? In most cases where "their" is being used, it should be "there". I know it's easy to have typos and spell check won't catch the error since both words are words. When I was in school in NY we had these things drummed into us and I am cursed with wanting to correct spelling and grammar all the time.

Camac on September 14, 2012 at 1:08 am
    • Ha ha ha, Carole–I am a retired English teacher and do a fair share of gritting my teeth with this very subject! I do admit to being a terrible typist and I will make errors and typos late at night– so I should issue that disclaimer, LOL. ( My adult son makes the comment that " nobody cares about spelling or grammar" online) !!!!

I don't buy it. Many times people who do well in math are not as proficient in language arts, so I try to make little math equations with some definitions :

" A person who inherits property is called an HEIR. When people possess or have something, it is
      THEIR property; it is THEIRS…. ( T plus HEIR = THEIR ) " They went on their vacation in their car ."

"When we talk about more than one person, we say " THEY". If we want to say "THEY ARE", we might shorten it with a contraction and take the letter "A" out of the word "ARE". Then we say "THEY'RE on vacation". The apostrophe ' takes the place of the letter A. " THEY'RE vacationing with THEIR friends".
      ( THEY ARE minus A = THEY'RE)

Is anyone's head spinning yet ?

" When we talk about a place or location, we say " I am HERE ". If we talk about a location any distance away, near or far, we say, " It is over THERE." OKay, folks ? T-H-E-R-E, LOL. ( T plus HERE = THERE )"

I will finish by saying that English is a frustrating and complicated language for many, and if it is not ones native language, I offer my sympathy.

There is a great grammar book with cartoons, and the title " Eats, Shoots, and Leaves " ( this keyboard does not have a working function to underline the book title….grr) is inspired by a student who throws in commas wherever " it looks good"…The student report is about a panda that eats shoots and leaves of a bamboo plant. The cartoon accompanying the student sentence shows the panda leaving, holding a smoking pistol. I have a similar obsession about the incorrect use of apostrophes….sigh.

LLColeman on September 14, 2012 at 1:49 am
    • Thanks, LL, those are great examples. I hope your students appreciated what a great teacher they had.

Camac on September 14, 2012 at 9:42 am
    • Thank you, Carole, for asking. Thank you, LL, for a deliciously educational response. This English Major (undergrad) is sometimes guilty of sheer laziness when online. Occasionally, I'm tripped by my own carelessness and, others, I'm tempted to become the teacher I never became–and that, my friends, is probably a good thing! :) :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm
  4. Good morning to Camac and LL…I'm probably the guilty party for miss using "their and there" in my comments…I wasn't an English Major in school and probably miss used the words….I do apologize!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 14, 2012 at 8:43 am
    • OOPS! Maybe that is misusing!

Jennie/Florida on September 14, 2012 at 8:51 am
  5. My late Dad, Clifford Swenson, worked for Seven Islands Land Co, a land management company in Maine. The forested area surrounding the BC made me think of him. I love the fact that land was donated and will never become a housing development. As a little girl growing up in Maine, I spent lots of time romping in the undisturbed woods. I want to take long walks with my Grandchildren through those beautiful woods. Maybe they will make up names for all the paths as we did. When my Dad left the forest for the office, he gave me his old compass…the cobblestone patio caused me to tear up.

Jen4Maine on September 14, 2012 at 9:30 am
    • Giving the land to the land trust sounds very caring on the surface. The fact is the more land that winds up in a land trust , the more property that is removed from the tax rolls. The town is not spending less which means the taxes go up for the rest of us to make up the loss of taxes from the land trust properties.

Camac on September 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm
    • It actually ties in with the UN Agenda 21which has , as one of its goals, getting land out of private ownership and getting the people consolidated in small , controllable areas- but that's a whole other subject.

Camac on September 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    • I admit I was ignorant. I assumed the Trust would pay taxes on the land. I understand now that when families can no longer afford their land taxes they sell to the highest bidder, thus developements take over. What a shame. There is nothing like a walk through the untamed woods of Maine.

Jen4Maine on September 16, 2012 at 11:58 am
  6. I was thinking the beautiful meadow out back is the perfect place to strategically plant a bunch of Balsam Fir trees for future Christmas trees.

Jen4Maine on September 14, 2012 at 9:38 am
    • YES!! Jen4Maine. I was thinking when they were talking about the front landscape how cool that would be to have one that you could add lights to every Christmas season in the front yard but now that you mention this idea, I love it!!

heaven-bound23 on September 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm
  7. Hi Bloggers, we have another new thread!!! When it rains it pours..I Love it!!

Jennie/Florida on September 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm
  8. I wonder which Crasher was Chris's favorite to work with……

Petra on September 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm
  9. I absolutely love love love the landscaping! Hydrangias and lupines….Just beautiful! Impecible taste all the way around!

Diane on September 28, 2012 at 11:40 pm