Sep 6

Matt and Chris Rap It Up

Are you ready for Monday night’s Yard Crashers episode of Blog Cabin 2012?

Here’s a special treat on the eve of our fifth episode: an exclusive vlog starring Chris Grundy and Matt Blashaw. Watch the video, check out Monday’s tune-in time and check out the how-to project from this episode (instaling a cobblestone system).

Enjoy!

• Posted at 5:14 pm on September 9, 2012

1. Angela, I like your idea about a big party to thank everyone who worked on the house, and all of the neighbors. I'm sure it would be well attended as everyone who like to meet the new owner. Perhaps a Hoedown in the barn.
    Camac, The event may even be a PR event for the donation of the land to the MVLT. Please keep us all posted. One of the most exciting things for me is that it is weatherized and has a new heating system. My house has very little insulation and a furnace that is ready to call it quits. Wow would my life ever change if I was the luck one. I bet yours would too. Best of Luck to all my fellow bloggers. The are only 16 more days to enter to win this custom designed, renovated home. :) :)<3

bythebaydreamer on September 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm
  2. BLOG Cabin always gets it right & produces smiles each & every time we watch. Smiles, not as big as they will be when one of my 'family/friends" is contacted after Sept. 28 about winning the contest. ;) Keep a light on!

THANKS to all the voters on decorating & product selection & of course special thanks to all the DIY craftsmen who always do a top notch job on each house. You'll be invited to the first house warming we have! Good karma abounds!

Rich K & Friends on September 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  3. Can't wait to see more (Hello Josh Temple ) Mary .

pixelecho69 on September 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm
  4. Yard crashers Rocks. So excited for the finalie here and Praying I am there is person when they announce the winner of this amazing house. My husband is a genius at making something out of nothing and he would appreciate all the cool things you did with the materials you had. Love the rap!

Robin G on September 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm
  5. At the risk of repeating myself…..Will anymore full episodes EVER be available for online viewing??? I don't get the DIY network so I can't see the episodes on television. I've viewed the first two several times but am ready to move on and see the rest!! ANYONE and the DIY NETWORK????

Myra on September 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm
    • Myra, they are all on there. They have their own tab now on the main BC page. They used to be under the video tab, but now are under the full episode tab. Hope that helps.

gypsydreamer on September 13, 2012 at 11:00 am
    • Finally got to see them all. There has always been a full episodes tab but for weeks only the first two were available. The video tab only had the short tours. But at last they are all up and viewable !!!

Myra on September 22, 2012 at 12:35 am
  6. I know this has been asked before about screens being on windows and doors, I believe they said there was going to be. Question is, are there?
    I don't see any screen doors on the sliding glass doors or the front door, I wonder if they are going to be any there? Does anyone see any? I know there not one on the front door, not even a storm door, which I think there should be.
    The bugs will get in there for sure with no screen doors. I know keep the doors shut, as they say "was you brought up in a barn"? If there are kids there you know doors will get left open, even if there are screen doors there. But at lest you could open them to let in a breeze, if there was screen doors on them.
    As for the windows I'll have to go look again to see if there are any there. I hope so, again great for summer & cool evening breeze.

home_girl on September 13, 2012 at 12:57 am
    • Hi Home_girl…If I remember correctly, in the Q&A they said their were screens on the windows, but no screens on the Front door or Sliders…Don't understand why, especially at the front door. That door is facing North. I would think with the North winds blowing directly in the front door, they would have a Storm door there to protect that beautiful custom made door and with strong winds blowing from the North, snow drifts will make it difficult to enter the front door..at least the storm door would have given it some protection. Also it would have been nice to have screens on the sliders so the doors could be opened for fresh air during the Spring, Summer and Fall…Nothing like breathing Clean Fresh Air… I don't think they were thinking logical. I think they thinking "Vacation Getaway Party Time" only..They spent way too much money on things that doesn't fit the period of this Home and things that were needed wasn't added..Two things for sure are the stairs to the basement and a bathroom on the first floor….Just My Thoughts!!

Jennie/Florida on September 13, 2012 at 11:15 am
    • Jennie,
      even vacation homes need screen doors, this being called a vacation home seems it should have screen doors on.
      Don't most slider come with screen doors? I don't have them in my home, but all the homes I been in with them in it, always have one on them.
      I was watching the video again and saw them leaving the doors open, made me ask this question. The front door really should have some kind of outer door there, even if it's only a wooden screen one like they had on the front doors before. JMO

home_girl on September 13, 2012 at 11:41 am
    • Didn't proof read….I think they were thing, sorry!

Jennie/Florida on September 13, 2012 at 11:48 am
    • One more thing….I have sliders and Wouldn't be without screens…with the doors opened and no screens anything can run, crawl or fly in…Oh and when all that traffic with everyone going in and out daily, I bet some little Varments found a home inside!! Just picturing that…

Jennie/Florida on September 13, 2012 at 11:57 am
    • DITTO!!!

karen on September 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm
    • Rhonda, I don't recall where it was, but I'm certain that the answer is YES, there are screens in the windows. It may even have been an answer in one of the Q & As between the Bloggers and "Experts."

Meanwhile, on a different subject, I am so frustrated because I am unable to open any reply dialogs under Blog posts. So it has been difficult to follow or comment properly for days now, folks and I'm sorry—I miss you guys—am reading what I can, but if anything is posted as a reply, I cannot see it at all and I haven't figure out why…. HUGE BUMMER!:$:So.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm
    • Yes, it was in the Q&A's but that was only for the windows, I am wondering about the doors, was no mention of that in the Q&A's. I just think there should be some there if there isn't. They can still put them on before they turn it over to the new owners.
      I hope they fixed the eves on the house too, that still needs works.

home_girl on September 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm
    • Hi! I haven''t seen anything regarding screens for doors, Rhonda. You are right in that they are needed. And the eaves repairs are a mystery to me too. I hope they will put storm doors on.:DB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm
    • Eaves repairs? Where? There's a picrure of the 'before' eaves and gutters but that was all changed way back with the new roof and no gutters. Am I missing something (again)?

Anniesown on September 14, 2012 at 10:41 am
    • The last time I was there, I was checking it out and the end with the little door to basement still needed some work done touching up the eaves. It's just above the little window in family room. Looks like maybe a little wood rot to me, just a small area, the price they have on the house, you would think it all would look nice. They might of fixed it by now, I hope.

home_girl on September 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm
    • I went back and the eves got fixed or painted anyway and looks so much better. Color all matches now too. No worry there any more.

home_girl on September 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    • That's good news. They replaced the entire roof so the eaves in that part must have been new too. Maybe there was soomething up there that made it look like there was a peoblem. Either way it's fixed so all's welll. :)

Anniesown on September 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm
  7. Did anyone notice if Matt had a brush or comb in his tool belt? He did in BC 2111.

vicki_in_Utah on September 13, 2012 at 9:45 am
    • lol, vicki–much to Josh T.'s amusement….;)

LLColeman on September 14, 2012 at 2:48 am
  8. The Cabin/House looks Beautiful …Can't wait to move in & make a country dinner for the hard working folks …I dream about being & living in that house so home to me …GREAT JOB !!! Can't wait to watch more …Keep up the good work !!!

Pati on September 13, 2012 at 10:44 am
  9. Greetings Kittty and Fellow Bloggers! The bench wil be a great place for views of the water. It is quite the historic puzzle when putting all the pieces together with LLBean's 100 year anniversary! DUCKS–"weather" it is gear for hunting, camping, hiking, Fly Fishing, Canoeing, Biking… just to name a few all comes FULL Circle back to Maine and to the over 100 year old farm/homestead!~!! :) Happy day ALL DAY !!!!!!!!!!! ;P

lilredhedd@aol.com on September 13, 2012 at 10:44 am
    • Continued — Celebrate L.L.Bean's 100th anniversary -George Soule was a renowned duck call and decoy maker, expert hunter and also one of L.L. Bean's best friends. -George Soule of FreePort, ME met the challenge of "L.L." and whittled a duck MADE IN THE GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Black Duck Drake!

Lilly on September 13, 2012 at 11:06 am
  10. I'm thinking the only way we could afford the taxes etc would be to do a reverse mortgage. Anyone have any ideas about this possibility ? In addition, I sure can't see paying a high value for a bunch of furniture that will be thrown about because of safety issues, i.e. the lead paint from the kitchen table, so called coffee bar and other pieces. We have some very nice furniture ( been married over 47 years and some of it is almost that old) and would love to see it in the cabin. I believe we would also have to get passports to get their easily! It sure is fun thinking we have a possibility of winning this gorgeous house! My sister has always teased us about our house being a cabin and we tell her that we only need the water view! This sure would take care of that!

karen on September 13, 2012 at 10:53 am
    • Why would you need a passport to get to Maine? If you're not a legal US resident or citizen or you're living and entering from anywhere not within the US borders you are ineligible to win.

There was no paint on the tables so why is there a lead paint issue?

I doubt very much that you could get a reverse mortgage for the amount of the tax ($245,000 + state tax). The ARV of the BC is only $700,000. To get nearly $300,000 loa you would need the house to be valued at nearly $1million. If you own a house now you will not be able to get a RM on the Blog Cabin unless you sell your present house first. All you really do with a reverse mortgage is dump your debts, including accumolated interest which can be as high as 12%pa on the surviving spouse or children on your passing.

Sally on September 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm
    • Wow! That looks more like a rip-off than a way to pay.

Boz on September 14, 2012 at 10:43 am
    • It's a matter of location rather than citizenship. We were both born here and our parents and all of our grandparents before us also. We live 300 miles w of Saulte St Marie Ca and it would be a lot easier to get to Maine by driving through Canada rather than down to Ohio and all the way north again! I was unaware of the reverse mortgage rules and yes, we do own our home (with no mortgage) so maybe we would have to let this opportunity go if we were lucky enough to win.
      The issue of the paint on the tables does exist . . .the underneath part of the dining room table was made from old pieces that still have white chipped paint on them and my concern is of possible lead paint on that and other pieces that have remaining paint that was neither scraped clean or sealed.
      Thanks for the help Sally,
      Karen

karen on September 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm
    • Thanks for the note on the old gutters used on the table and, as you say, they had paint. However, I htink it was Victoria whoo said it was all scraped aand sealed. I hope so.

Your location may be a big problem. If you live outside the US (In Canada) and are entering the sweeps from there (Canada) you are ineligible. Even if you're a US oitizen and have a home in the US. The second sentence of the rules states that all online entries must come from within the US borders. I guess it's OK to mail entries from Canada though.

Sally on September 15, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    • We live in the u.p. of Michigan 300 miles east of Sault St. Marie (mi and Canada) Sorry about the confusion. We often don't feel like we are part of MI (other than paying taxes!) but, alas we are . In many ways our area is weather is worse, I believe, than Maine! We usually get some snow 7 months of the year and I seen 300 inches of snow during one winter (and it was our first winter here! ) It's Lake Superior lake effect snow!

karen on September 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm
    • It's late , please forgive grammer errors!

karen on September 15, 2012 at 11:30 pm
    • I'm always making typos so there's nothing to forgive. ^_^ Thanks for clearing up the confusion. We have friends in Buffalo. It looks like you get similar snowfall to them for the same reasons. Not sure I would want to cope with that. :)

Sally on September 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm