Sep 6

Matt and Chris Rap It Up

Are you ready for Monday night’s Yard Crashers episode of Blog Cabin 2012?

Here’s a special treat on the eve of our fifth episode: an exclusive vlog starring Chris Grundy and Matt Blashaw. Watch the video, check out Monday’s tune-in time and check out the how-to project from this episode (instaling a cobblestone system).

Enjoy!

• Posted at 5:14 pm on September 9, 2012

1. This Barn Rocks!!!! Love it just the way it is… absolutely perfect for this beautiful home!

SusanG1956 on September 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm
  2. Questions for higher powers that be – is blog up to date? Not one comment on the significance of yesterday's date and Patriot Day :( SO SAD for all involved!

Lilly on September 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    • Hi Lilly, I'm sure everyone remembers that fateful day & shows respect in their own way; but so many people are tired of the capitalization of this sad event in U.S. history. A quiet moment of remembrance shows more respect to those poor souls lost than any t.v. show ever could. September 11 happens to be my middle Granddaughters birthday; she was 14 years old yesterday. When she was younger she asked me why so many people had to die on her birthday………I told her I didn't know, but that 9/11 did bring a multitude of Americans together as one & also that we got her on that date !!! I'm sure no disrespect by omittance was intended.

gremol on September 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm
    • Give your GrandDaughter a BIG Hug! :)

Lilly on September 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm
    • Hi Lilly, a few of my comments are missing….I watched TV most of yesterday and sat sadly remembering that terrible day September 11th 2001….My Mom also passed away on that date so, I sat and went back to both events that are truly hurtful and ones that lay heavy on my heart. I lost my best friend and mentor. My Mom was a great person and put everyone before her. She was a loving and kind person and full of love and laughter. I miss her everyday..My heart aches for all those who lost friends and Love ones and hope somehow their hurt is a little less everyday, but will never forget!!

Jennie/Florida on September 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm
    • ALWAYS Remember! :)

Lilly on September 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm
  3. Hi Everyone !! I posted an answer to Lilly (above), but it didn't show up; at least not on my computer ! Just testing to see if this one posts before I give my ideas for the 'shower curtain dilemma' !!!

gremol on September 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm
  4. Anyone else having trouble with 'posts not posting' ??? That sorta' silly question……..how can anyone answer if this post doesn't post ??? LOL !!!

gremol on September 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    • Hi Gremol, I'm missing a couple of comments….Don't know why!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    • I posted links to the real estate co. that Day Dreamer had posted about the BC neighbor's home for sale–I saw 2 homes for sale on the Medomak in a town south of Waldoboro that were under $200k. Just fun to see the photos–guess it was a big No No……

How are you doing, gremol ?

LLColeman on September 14, 2012 at 2:54 am
  5. I have had all of my comments posted,, but it seems that there has been a lag in posting.
    Lily, We will never forget. My daughter is in the Navy and every day I remember that this freedom we all enjoy comes at a price. Spoken or not: We will always remember.

bythebaydreamer on September 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • Please thank her for her service! Marines and Navy work closely together – all branches have a soft spot in my heart as well as our local Emergency folks! TOUGH JOBS I could go on and on — thankful of our teachers, health care professionals… :) Take care, Lilly

Lilly on September 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm
    • Thank your Daughter for her Service in the U S Navy for me, Bythebaydreamer!!! I am so grateful to her for her courage and commitment! And to her Family, including you, for all the angst that you go through, waiting and missing and wondering…. My husband served in the Navy also, during the Vietnam era and was on assignment in Viet Nam twice. It is something he never forgets. Our son, in the Army, is just home from his third combat time in the Middle East and Afghanistan. My gratitude and respect for your Daughter is tremendous! May God protect our Military!!!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm
  6. I can't stop dreaming of living in the house….

Brian Bernat on September 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm
  7. How much do you think the taxes will be on the house and how long will you have to pay that off? also any idea what the yearly taxes would be?

Angela on September 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm
    • I read the towns rate was $13.10 per thousand of valuation. They place a value on the land, house, barn and deck (If the winner adds a garage that will have a value as well). The tax on the prize will depend on a number of variables. The total prize is estimated at $700K so add that to your total annual household income to figure out what tax bracket you are in. Then there could be state taxes depending on the state the winner is from…….That's why most winners end up selling because the tax obligation is so big. If the winner were able to move to Maine and live year round and find work, I suppose you could mortgage the house to pay the taxes…..

Myra on September 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm
    • I believe I answered your question on this topic a while back but you may not have read my blog. You will have to pay Federal income tax at 35% of the house value (the ARV) unless you get a FMV (Fair Market Value) or you use the sale price if you sell this year. Income tax can only be levied on the FMV (or sale price) unless the winner waits more than few months. If they dally the IRS can and will use the ARV. Your tax rate will be 35% on all your income for 2012 if you win as the prize value will push you into the top tax bracket. Payment deadline is the end of 2012, due before April tax deadline. That will be $245,000 plus any other income tax. If your home state levies income tax you will have to pay that on the house value also. On average that's 5% so add another $35,000 for state tax. Property tax is levied on the assessed value (not the ARV) so you need to look at comparable houses in the area. Not easy but a reasonable guess is somewhere between $6-8000 annually.

This website may help http://contests.about.com/od/taxesfinances/ht/FMV

Good luck in the Sweeps.

Sally on September 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm
  8. I'm not sure what they are getting ready for, but yesterday they were doing a lot of clean up around the yard (mowing, etc. although the 3 dead looking birches are still in front of the BC) and today they set up a big event tent in the yard on the north side of the house. Do they sometimes do a press event or something? Maybe they'll have a big fling for all of the neighbors. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Camac on September 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm
    • ok that would be great sounds interesting. maybe they are having a big thank you party for all the teams hard work. I know if I won it I would have a welcome party for the neighbors. Can't wait to cook in that kitchen. I love to cook but my kitchen is so small two people can barely fit in it. I don't know how I manage, but this would be heaven.

Angela on September 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm
    • Camac,
      It's so nice to have someone close by that can keep us up to date. Thank you for taking the time to walk by and keep us posted. What town do you live in?

Day Dreamer on September 13, 2012 at 7:27 am
    • Hi Ken……Camac lives down the road from the BC…Probably walking distance!

Jennie/Florida on September 13, 2012 at 10:25 am
    • Hi Day Dreamer, I live in Waldoboro on Dutch Neck about a half mile down the road from the BC- so I really don't have to go out of my way to see what is going on there- unless I stay home all day, I pass it at least twice a day.

Camac on September 13, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    • I still don't know what event they will be holding in the tent. A Knickerbocker Group truck was parked out front this morning and an equipment trailer of some sort was left overnight. I'm still guessing some kind of press event (the local papers still have nothing about the Blog Cabin) or thank-you for the local contractors. Whatever it is I would expect it tomorrow or Saturday.

Camac on September 14, 2012 at 1:00 am
    • Camac,
      Good Morning!
      You are so fortunate to live on that road. I've been there several times and always feel a sense of peace and tranquilty. On my last trip, I tried to find a path that would lead me to Peter's pond but was unsuccessful in finding one. It there a secret way to get to the pond that is only know by the locals? I look forward to your next update. :)

Day Dreamer on September 14, 2012 at 8:32 am
    • I went over to Peter's Pond once for a swim probably more than 30 years ago when I was still building my cabin- long before I started living here year round (6 or 7 years ago). There is an access path from the Gross Neck Rd. but I'd have to ask again to find out which drive to take to get to it. I'm sure there is some way to access it from behind the red barn, I just haven't looked for it.

Camac on September 14, 2012 at 9:36 am
    • Hi Camac,
      I just read all of your posting. Wow! You are a wealth of knowledge. I've been looking to relocate to the area and found your posting to be extremely informative. Thank you!!! Now, all I need to do is find that path to Peter's pond and I'll be one happy camper. :)

Day Dreamer on September 14, 2012 at 10:26 am
  9. HI Camac, please keep us posted

Angela on September 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm
  10. I loved this episode, thanks for the compass rose in the patio blocks, very creative guys.

Eileen on September 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm