Sep 6

Matt and Chris Rap It Up

Are you ready for Monday night’s Yard Crashers episode of Blog Cabin 2012?

Here’s a special treat on the eve of our fifth episode: an exclusive vlog starring Chris Grundy and Matt Blashaw. Watch the video, check out Monday’s tune-in time and check out the how-to project from this episode (instaling a cobblestone system).

Enjoy!

• Posted at 5:14 pm on September 9, 2012

1. why has this changed have been texting before

bogeyandbacall on September 7, 2012 at 9:41 pm
  2. Mary I enjoyed your Pun!
    That vlog was GREAT ! Matty is a GREAT guy, but he is not the Yard Crasher for me.

After five INCREDIBLE seasons of Ahmed Hassan as host, I can't warm up to anyone else.
    Ahmed was also Great to this blog in 2008, while other DIY hosts of Blog Cabin have chosen to remain off of this site. His loyalty to his fans means something special to me, and I feel inclined to be loyal right back to him. I'll have to sit this show out, since my family vowed not to watch Yard Crashers with a different host.

Matty does deserve credit for a stellar back yard at BC this year, and I do thank him for all of his hard work. DIY I would gladly support Matty Blah Blah in another landscaping show! Thanks to Cobblestone Systems that donated your beautiful product for the patio, and Trex for that awesome deck!
    DIY please, please, please x 1,000,0000 pleases bring Ahmed back to your network!!

Mel on September 8, 2012 at 9:49 am
    • Mel, I am with you, I like Matty a lot, but miss Ahmed even more. Yard crashers and turff wars, is not the same with out him. What was DIY thinking???

vicki_in_Utah on September 8, 2012 at 10:35 am
    • Vicki, a knock off of an orignal is seldom, if ever, as good as the original, and Ahmed IS the original Yard Crasher. I can't imagine what DIY was thinking ! My love of Ahmed's personality and the level at which he performed his job as a licensed landscape contractor and certified landscape technician will Never be equaled in my opinion by any host of Yard Crashers or Turf War. My opinion of Ahmed isn't a reflection on others that DIY has replaced him with. They have their own talents and abilities.
      I want Ahmed back on both shows and am hoping DIY will listen to Ahmed's fans.
      Just a silly note, but one of the my absolute favorite shows on DIY last year was the Christmas episode of Turf War, were they decorated the front and backyard for the holiday. Ahmed was the host. He also stole Ultimate Crash 2011 with that backyard makeover! When you watch someone for years do a brillant job, and entertain you to the level Ahmed does, it's hard to let go…

Mel on September 8, 2012 at 11:11 am
    • Mel, I like everyone on DIY, I just miss Ahmed. He is such a "real" person. He came to Salt Lake Utah and did the outdoor show, he had a booth and knew so much about Utah gardening. He was interviewd on TV on almost every channel, and he was so good. One of my sons lives in Salt Lake and he is a rigger, he sets up concerts and conferences etc, he was at the outdoor show, and didn't know who Ahmed was, until after when I told him how much I liked Ahmeds shows, My son said he was so nice and easy to please, not grumpy like most of the vendors and display people. So it is not just a act that he is so nice and funny on tv.

vicki_in_Utah on September 8, 2012 at 12:21 pm
    • I must be out of the loop. I had noticed that Ahmed was not around but I assumed it must be a temporary thing. I never dreamed it would be permanent. Where is he now and what happened.

Eugenia27 on September 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    • Eugenia27 there's been very little communication from DIY over the replacement of Ahmed.

At first it appeared there would be two hosts of Yard Crashers, both Matty and Ahmed, but that's not the case. I know I'm on the outside looking in with no TV exec. knowledge or experience judging these changes! I can only approach this exec. decision as a fan of Ahmed, and as a fan of HIS Brand and style he stamped both shows with. I'm saddened and disappointed that he is no longer on the DIY network hosting YC+ TW. Here's a link to an article with an except of Ahmed's Facebook explanation http://hookedonhouses.net/2012/04/10/yard-crasher

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 7:08 am
    • Jason Cameron got quite snippy on Facebook defending Matt. I believe it's part of the corporation shift towards showmanism and away from the truly talented. JMO. It sells the product better.

Anniesown on September 9, 2012 at 10:03 am
    • Anniesown I Hate to hear that. I'm a loyal fan of Jason's too. That really disappoints me.
      The different DIY hosts should be tolerant of Ahmeds fans and realize how their own fans would feel if they were suddenly and callously replaced by someone else on their show(s).

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    • Matt M. also seemed testy on his Facebook page in response to questions about Ahmed's replacement–can't they be friends and support both hosts ? I like Matt M. and Jason–maybe the life style of traveling so many places, being away from home tires them out at the end of the day– when they get online ..the grouchy side emerges?

LLColeman on September 10, 2012 at 2:33 am
    • Thank You Vicki for sharing!
      It's great to know Ahmed is his authentic self on Yard Crashers and Turf Wars!

He seems like the Nicest guy in the world on TV, and yes he is Funny too.

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 7:21 am
    • Mel, I so agree with all your points–and I will never forget that yard in Ultimate Crash 2011 ! I too enjoy Matty Blah Blah and watch all his other shows…just wish Ahmed the perfect fit for his talents. He has lived in N. CA as I do–hope he is still based here. I WILL WATCH HIM ON WHATEVER NETWORK HE GOES ON>>>><3 <3 <3

LLColeman on September 9, 2012 at 4:21 am
    • LLColeman the backyard in Ultimate Crash 2011 was over the moon beautiful !!

Like you, I will watch/follow Ahmed on any network.
      I believe he is keeping busy with his own landscaping company in N. CA. and hope only the best for him.

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 7:39 am
    • It sad to see him go but on the bright side he will be spending more time with his children and reconciling with his wife. That's what he said. Sorry his public life has taken it's tole on his family but hope it's not too late. Sounds like he has a new show in the works.

Myra on September 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm
    • Mel and Vicki, Matty Blah Blah would be awesome as "Bedroom Crashers" they don't have that yet, right ?Who wouldn't enjoy Matt doing that??? Then, as the couple walks in to surprise dreamy bedroom, Cupid a Blah Blah takes his brush to his shiny locks and fluffs them out and departs with a twinkle in his eye. Then bring back the original Ahmed for Yard crash and everyone is dreamy and happy!:p;):*<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 24, 2012 at 12:34 am
  3. Does anyone know the address of this house? I'll be in Maine in two weeks and would love to do a drive by :)
    Or do I have to go to Moody's Diner and hope someone will point me in the right direction?

NYCMaine on September 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    • 620 Dutch Neck Rd, Waldoboro.

Myra on September 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm
    • the address is 620 dutch neck road, I think it's off manktown rd, not sure, have a good visit!!:D

Penginsmomina on September 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm
    • I have been practicing my new address!

620 Dutch Neck Road
      Waldoboro, ME 04572

I don't know what a "Dutch Neck" is exactly but I'm there. Totally.

Haha, Do take pics and share!!! I'll be at work daydreaming about moving to this beautiful house and changing life as I know it.
      :-)

Sky on September 8, 2012 at 11:14 pm
    • 620 Dutch Neck road, which is off Bremen Rd on your left.
      Look for Route 1, it's at the cross roads of Winslows Mills Rd and Kalers Cr. Rd (this road turns into Bremen rd). If you look at a map it's pretty easy enough to find.
      Enjoy your visit there…

home_girl on September 10, 2012 at 10:39 am
    • Go on google maps.put in the address and then select satellite view, you will see the house with the original small barn attached and the barn across the street. But all of the directions are correct.

YankeeNuke on September 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm
  4. I love the water view. Is there access to the water, can I launch a canoe/kayak into the water from the yard? or build a dock? water slide :)
    The back deck/patio/hot tub are great and making me think ahead to next summer!

NYCMaine on September 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm
    • Many people have been said to kayak in the bay behind the house when the tide is in. We have asked about the dock early on and was told that is not possible. Sorry. A water slide may not be a good ideal for the stones and clam shells in the bay would not feel good on bare feet and on one's behind. ouch lol

Hawkweed on September 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    • When we were kids we had to deal with a very rocky beach and clam shells in the river in Wi. Our solution was to wear our oldest tennies . .we were having fun in the water and our feet didn't suffer anymore cuts from the open clams!

karen on September 10, 2012 at 10:53 am
    • Building any permanent structure within 200ft of the shore or out into the water is not allowed by local ordinances enforcing environmental protection laws. Locals told us all about this way back at the BC 2012 beginning. However, you can certainly launch a canoe or kayak from the shore

There may be other practical reasons for not building a pier or attempting to canoe or kayak the Medomak River at this point. It's very shallow with wide mudflats. Any pier would need to be hundreds of ft. long to reach water at low tide. This would be a navigation hazard. Wide, shallow mudflats in tidal estuaries are dangerous due to strong tidal currents. The tide difference (low to high) can be over 12 ft in the river and can easily generate currents of 4-6mph. Even an Olympic canoeist would have trouble with that current. Satellite images of the shore on Dutch Neck Rd show no piers until it becomes Butter Point where the water is considerably deeper and sheltered. My guess is that there’s a geographical reason for this. ;)

Clive on September 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  5. I can't see the vlog…o.0

joliekc on September 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm
  6. For those of you who love midcoast Maine as much as I do, I think you'll enjoy this months issue of Downeast Magazine. Located in Rockland and only 20 minutes from Blog Cabin 2012 this area is the meca of midcoast coast Maine,and home to some of the prettiest little villages you'll ever see. I always refer to this area as " the land that time forgot". Here you'll find homes that date back to the 17th and 18th century, old country stores and people who go out of their way to help one another. There is a real sense of community here. Who ever wins this dream home will enjoy more than the bucolic setting. They'll also commune with people who share common interests. Don't be surprised if someone knocks on your door with a welcome basket. This is life the way it should be… :) Enjoy and good luck to you all.

Day Dreamer on September 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    • that makes me think of the movie baby boom, where she lived was a lot like u say, seemed so calm and peaceful!!! love to watch that movie cause of that!!!and good luck to u!!

Penginsmomina on September 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm
    • Thank you Ken for the lovely Magazine Photos…I'm sold on the beauty of Maine…If I had to choose my favorite Photo, it's a hard choice, but I think it would be Stonington, it's so picturesque and captures a peaceful setting and beauty all around..A place I would love to live..All of the photos gives one a serene feeling…The people of Maine are living in a "Heavenly" place. No wonder they are so kind and friendly!!! I think your surroundings has a lot to do with you mental attitude..Don't you think?? I Want To Be A Mainer!!

Jennie/Florida on September 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm
    • Thank you, thank you so much Day Dreamer and yes, I agree with you there is nothing that compares to living along the coast of Maine. I love your correlation and description, very well stated " the land that time forgot" you better copyright that statement, LOL . I have been to each one of those villages and they are all GREAT!! So different in many ways but yet have one common thread among them the wonderful rocky coast of Maine and its ocean!! Just nothing like it :) I lived for a little while in Cundy's Harbor before moving further south in Maine and I so want to go back north!!

heaven-bound23 on September 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm
  7. For those of you who love midcoast Maine as much as I do, I think you'll enjoy this months issue of Downeast Magazine. Located in Rockland and only 20 minutes from Blog Cabin 2012 this area is the meca of midcoast coast Maine,and home to some of the prettiest little villages you'll ever see. I always refer to this area as " the land that time forgot". Here you'll find homes that date back to the 17th and 18th century, old country stores and people who go out of their way to help one another. There is a real sense of community here. Who ever wins this dream home will enjoy more than the bucolic setting. They'll also commune with people who share common interests. Don't be surprised if someone knocks on your door with a welcome basket. This is life the way it should be… :) Enjoy and good luck to you all.

Day Dreamer on September 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    • Day Dreamer, I thoroughly enjoyed the online magazine. Each village has a personality of its own. Thank you for sending it our way. Good Luck!

bythebaydreamer on September 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm
    • Beautiful Day Dreamer, Thank You for the link!

When DIY announced the location of BC last year, I didn't know much about Maine. Now I do, even though I'm from far away. It's been great to have locals join us on the blog, and resources posted here as well. Maine is an amazingly beautiful state! I checked out the Smithsonian channel Aerial America series on iTunes some time ago. Here's a link to that with a few videos and pics that show glimpses of just how beautiful Maine is http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/show.do

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 8:51 am
    • Thanks for sharing that link, Mel! Maine is not only beautiful, but it is so refreshingly clean and the air is fresh and I feel as though the place is so healing. I agree with the State Motto: Maine: "Life as it should be." :) xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    • Kitty they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I did enjoy my aerial flight over parts of Maine. From the rugged shores, to the wild blueberry fields, to the quaint towns, to the homes of many famous writers, lighthouses, and acres and acres of beautiful unspoiled wilderness. Oh yes, and the locals that are resourceful and friendly, which are my kind of folks.
      Thank You for your endless sharing of Maine knowledge with the blog. You've taught me lots about Maine, so much I look forwad to visiting it one day.

Mel on September 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    • Thanks Mel, Maine sure is a green wet state. I noticed they didn't have Utah on the list ..LOL

vicki_in_Utah on September 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    • Wow! The video captures the true essence of Maine and is beautifully narrated. Thank you for providing us with the aeriel view of where American really began. If anyone wants to read a good book about the history of Maine,I just started reading "Islands of Maine"… where American really began. By Bill Caldwell. It's one of those books you'll have a hard time putting down. It gives an accurate depiction of who our forefathers where, where they came from and the hardships they faced. A must read for all Maine lovers. Enjoy!
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 10, 2012 at 9:14 am
    • I'll have to chime in on that suggestion! Day Dreamer is so correct about that book, "Islands of Maine" by Bill Caldwell. Interestingly, America really DID begin in Maine and Virginia–even before the Mayflower Planters arrived at Plymouth rock! What is most fascinating to me is how intricately tied Midcoast Maine and (where I live) the Tidewater/Jamestown, Virginia area are, from Capt. John Smith to Gosnold –if you're a history buff–look it up, you won't believe it! That book is a fascinating piece of our early history, presented in a gripping manner. Ken Day is right. It's hard to put the book down! xDB) Kitty

DWNSODWNEASTER on September 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm
    • Hi, Ken! I'm glad you share the most recent link to DownEast Magazine's latest issue, along with the results of their survey. I am delighted to see Damariscotta, I think it's just 2.7 miles from Waldoboro and was selected as # 3! Scotty, as it is affectionately known, is one of my favorite haunts for shopping, eating out and antiquing–a charming town, which celebrates culture and the arts as much as it celebrates community! B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm
    • KItty,
      I've only driven through Damariscotta, but will be sure to park the car and take advantage of all it has to offer the next time I'm in the area. I've thoroughly enjoy all the information you've shared with us and appreciate you taking the time to do so. Ken:)

Day Dreamer on September 10, 2012 at 9:22 am
    • Gary and I really enjoy eating at King Eider's Pub in Damariscotta. According to Gary, they have the best, freshest raw oysters he has eaten anywhere in his travels, worldwide. I'll take his word for it as I cannot stand to eat oysters in any form–happy for him to be satisfied. :) I LOVE their Lobster Bisque and their Reuben sandwiches–those are my standards and my tummy's happy and well satisfied when we depart. There are great shops in Scotty. From Maine made pottery to wonderful gift and craft items to boutique clothing, to pure Maine needs available at deep discounts, of course, at Reny's. I'm sure your sister, Rhonda, has better details than I. :D ;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm
    • I have certainly missed the life you are describing. Not a lot of that community in the State I live in now unless you are a "from here." Being a "come here," we don't feel that love. Thanks for the link. My Dad used to send copies but it has been years since I turned the pages of Downeast Magazine.

Jen4Maine on September 14, 2012 at 9:51 am
  8. Thank you Day Dreamer for the link. Maine is beautiful.

Eugenia27 on September 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm
  9. Greetings Fellow Bloggers! DUCK – DUCK – - – GOOSE! You are it! Run run run! I found the Duck! Homegirl thanks for the link to the Hot Tub site for Q& A PLUS PHOTOS!! Looks like a lot of fun to me! !http://snorkel.com/planning/faq.php Who is going to share the hot tub with the lucky ducky??? My fingers and toes are STILL crossed and they ARE started to ache a bit.. :( Nothing like a good long soak in a Hot Tub to make them flexible again!! hee hee! :P Warmly, Lilly

Lilly on September 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm
    • your welcome Lilly, I was wondering how it worked too and found that link. I see a stove pipe coming out of most of them, but the BC one doesn't have one, I wonder why? I like the hot tub on the deck or part of the deck. it would be nice off the master suite end of the deck, I think.

home_girl on September 10, 2012 at 11:31 am
    • Greetings Home Girl! I thought I read that the Hot tub could be moved if you had all the necessary electrical connections. I believe they put it in that location due to the sloping yard as well as being close to the outdoor fireplace so you would not need to have TWO wood piles.

Lilly on September 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    • It needs to be near a water outlet too. If the pipes are outside for a long distance they need a lot of insulation or draining thoroughly in winter. If it is up on the deck the deck needs reinforcing. The weight of the full tub is huge. Water weighs about 8.5 lb per gallon. If this is a 6ft x 3 ft deep tub that's about 640 gallons full to the top. Therefore the weight of the tub full could be as much as 5400lb. Then there's the weight of the tub and the mechanics. The deck would need a lot of support, the patio doesn't need that extra support. That's why most hot tubs are on the ground or low plinths rather than up on decks unless they're specially reinforced.:)

Clive on September 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm