Sep 6

Matt and Chris Rap It Up

Are you ready for Monday night’s Yard Crashers episode of Blog Cabin 2012?

Here’s a special treat on the eve of our fifth episode: an exclusive vlog starring Chris Grundy and Matt Blashaw. Watch the video, check out Monday’s tune-in time and check out the how-to project from this episode (instaling a cobblestone system).

Enjoy!

• Posted at 5:14 pm on September 9, 2012

1. Thanks Mary, Love Chris and Matt together. ?? with all the rain in Maine, do they need to water the grass?? Since we are always on water restriction and can only water a few hours during the night a few days a week, and our poor little lawn always looks crunchy, It seems the lawns back there are always green, and no one puts in sprinkling systems. Just asking

vicki_in_Utah on September 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    • When we lived in Maine we had the following saying, "If it is green and can be mowed it's a lawn." We never watered the lawn, never fertalized, and never weeded. Yes the rain does all the watering. The only time I saw a sprinkler on was when kids were playing it one.

Myra on September 6, 2012 at 10:42 pm
    • wow Myra, that would be so cool. But I guess it also can cause mold. Which is something we don't have, because it is so dry here.

vicki_in_Utah on September 7, 2012 at 12:02 am
    • Watering lawns in Maine is for "city folks".

Myra on September 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm
  2. Great video teaser, Mary! I can't wait to watch the episode this Monday. The rap was great too….Grundy attacks as Mr. Funny one more time and goes for a touchdown again ! Matt takes the ball and scores for sure with the swing! The outdoors seems to have been not only enhanced by the amazing work done to the backyard and its surroundings, but it has been transformed into a TRUE coastal paradise….what a GORGEOUS backyard (even with a HOT TUB!!!!) and what a VIEW!!!! …and yes, it seems like UT could play its great football and win all its opponents right there in that huge field between the Blog Cabin and the water. GO VOLS!!!!! That backyard can host many football fields for sure, Chris…. but I guess I'd rather enjoy it just as it is for now, appreciating its view and all the hard work you guys have put into it!
    Thank you so much, Mary for the update and thank you Grundy and Matt for keeping us entertained and for keeping us dreaming of being the winners!!!!

FLH on September 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm
  3. I'm still waiting for them to make the past three episodes available on-line. What happened? The first two were up and available so quick…..

Myra on September 6, 2012 at 10:43 pm
    • ….and now it appears as though the first two episodes are not available!!

Myra on September 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm
    • I too am waiting not so patiently, I don't get diy and was enjoying the videos :(

Penny on September 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm
    • And today the first two episodes are back up!! I really want to see the rest and it is so disappointing not to be able to view them on this site. I don't get the DIY network in my house.

Myra on September 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm
  4. Place looks like great in any weather! Were the guys punchy from exhaustion or maybe the performance was part celebration of a successful project nearing completion? Looking good and sounding intelligent on camera, during construction shows their amazing talent. Hope they took great vacations… and then perhaps music lessons? HA! I say "What the heck, I want that deck ..woah ..woah."
    Hope to live there year round, become part of the community, protect the Maine coast, cook great dinners, and garden. I miss family and summers at the beach in Maine, the painful numb ankles, the Canadians:)

idplacemaker on September 7, 2012 at 12:24 am
  5. Matt and Grundy did great and that back deck, mmmmmm. Bloggers you all did great in your voting :)
    Love the outdoors, that is what sells this place!!! Not trying to be unappreciative but doesn't that hot tub seem a little small?? In the video when they show the seats by the fire box it seems very, very close and small. Can anyone that has been to the property enlighten us on just the size of the hot tub??

heaven-bound23 on September 7, 2012 at 11:07 am
  6. I think I would have to be building myself a nice gazebo right by the river with a porch swing hung from the rafters so I could just sit with my family and meditate on how very blessed I am to have been the one that won this gorgeous house :) Can you imagine swinging away while enjoying that great view!!! Good luck to all as the time gets closer the excitement and anticipation builds^_^

heaven-bound23 on September 7, 2012 at 11:12 am
    • The gazebo you speak of is a wonderful ideal. My must do list has a swing down by the bay with honeysuckle planted around it.

Hawkweed on September 7, 2012 at 11:53 am
    • Ohhhhh Like the idea of the honeysuckle but you might want to read this article first just so you do not have problems down by the bay. LOL!!! I now have that song stuck in my head.

heaven-bound23 on September 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Sorry I just couldn't resist!!! LOL I needed to have a good laugh so thank you Hawkweed for making me stop and realize that we need to laugh everyday xD

heaven-bound23 on September 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm
    • Dear Heaven-Bound, thank you for telling me about the honeysuckle. I had no ideal that Maine was having a problem with that plant. I will have to think of something else with a sweet scent for a swing down by the shoreline in case I win the blog cabin?

Hawkweed on September 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm
    • Hi Hawkweed, a Wisteria would smell really good and it would look beautiful on a trellis over your swing!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 8, 2012 at 10:50 pm
    • Or maybe an Arbor over your swing!

Jennie/Florida on September 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm
    • There are exotic, invasive honeysuckles and native ones such as the beautiful trumpet or coral honeysuckle. I'm sure a local garden center can advise on suitable varietals that will not be a nuisance. :)

Anniesown on September 9, 2012 at 12:10 am
    • Greetings Heavenbound! Great article! Fellow Bloggers please READ ALL the way to the bottom because you will find a plethora of information!! The winner of Blog Cabin 2012 will certainly be on their way when it comes to creative ideas with regard to the rather ' large' yard and barn. I know many of us "Bloggers" want to do this in Maine! ONE lucky winner will be given that opportunity – - the rest of us who "may not" win will be able to research and gather information from the cooperative extension programs in our own communities. What a great resource! Thanks Heavenbound! Truly, Lilly

Lilly on September 9, 2012 at 11:40 am
    • (cont.) Just think! Instead of just 'mowing' the grass, the land could be utilized for produce(plant or animal), possibly even studies that will help in the future development of not only the produce but our youth with various 4-H projects! It is a WIN WIN ! : ) All and all, the land, as well as the barn, could contribute to the community. Yankee Nuke, you once stated in a past blog, "not out to pasture yet.." I just realized how that statement holds true for me! I have many years of volunteerism left! Thanks Heavenbound & YankeeNuke! :) Truly, Lilly

Lilly on September 9, 2012 at 11:43 am
    • Thank you so much Lilly and Lilly you are so right about the land!! The University Cooperative Extension is a great resource for many, many things and is very underutilized for sure. You can take a sample of your soil and they will test it for you and tell you what you need to add or not add!! They will help you in any way they can. I have two older children that were in the 4-H program from when they were old enough to join until they were too old and they had to boot them ( LOL ) they didn't want to leave! They loved, loved 4-H. My son who is now 33 yrs. old will be the first to tell you that it was wonderful and he learned sooooo much and would not be the man he is today had it none been for 4-H. He still is very active in the organization. You have touched on something that I am very passionate about without even knowing it :) With the gift of Facebook they are able to stay in contact with the many, many friendships for life they made while in 4-H so really is a very rich, fulfilling program and I would strongly recommend it to any parents for their children.

heaven-bound23 on September 11, 2012 at 10:52 am
    • HeavenBound I am so glad you can appreciate 4-H and all it encompasses! (That is for you Matt – hee hee) The responsibilities while in 4-H afforded me the opportunity to mature and become a well rounded individual. The programs truly empowered me as a young adult to do things I never imagined! :P Take Care, Lilly

Lilly on September 12, 2012 at 12:11 am
    • They have a really nice 4-H club in Waldoboro, my daughter works with Knox-Lincoln county 4-H.
      If we were to win, maybe we could see if a club there would want to learn about and work in a big vegetable garden, and help us to plant and harvest one, and they can keep some of the food from it. Maybe even learn to can or freeze it too.
      I know there are a few clubs that works with gardens, maybe they would be willing to teach a new club of kids how to do it too!
      Or maybe even the winner of this place might want to work with a 4-H club and teach them about farming or gardening too.

home_girl on September 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm
    • Hallelujah!!! what a great idea home_girl and if my family is blessed to be the winner I would more then welcome sharing with a local 4- H club. I have an 8 year old that I am dying to get involved with 4-H like my other kids but the club here does not do much at all. So it would be a win, win for us all :) :D Makes me even more excited to hopefully win and if not then I can only hope that someone that would be interested in furthering the local youth's knowledge will win. Now that would be a great way to share your blessing of winning!!! :) <3

heaven-bound23 on September 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm
  7. I have some mixed feelings about watching a Yardcrasher without our Ahmed!

Nebraska on September 7, 2012 at 11:13 am
  8. Hi, Nebraska…I know It won't be the same…I miss Ahmeds' smiling face and his jovial personality…Maybe one of these days we will get him back on the Blog Cabin. I'm one of his biggest fans..Matt is good and very talented….but I picture him with his tool belt on and with his mega tools!! Oh and his hair brush!!! lol

Jennie/Florida on September 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm
  9. Thanks Mary we are enjoying this wonderful and talented pair.

pixelecho69 on September 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  10. Good afternoon to all, I guess I'm falling down on my job..I was Surprised to see a new thread!! I'm usually looking for it, but have gotten side tracked for some reason!__Thank you, Mary, can't wait to see how they created this beautiful backyard…We will get to see where they put all the little things we voted on…I haven't spotted a few thing yet that we voted on…Maybe they haven't displayed them yet…Solar Rainbow Chimes and the Arches Lanterns…Has anyone spotted these??

Jennie/Florida on September 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    • I guess that you better take a 15 minute timeout in the corner of your room for falling down on the job. And you can't have your laptop with you.

YankeeNuke on September 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm