Aug 30

Mega Dens Focuses on Media

In anticipation of the Mega Dens episode of Blog Cabin 2012, I am proud to present an exclusive vlog, which stars show host Chris Grundy and Anitra Mecadon. Learn more about this duo’s inspiration for furnishings and DIY treatments in the second-floor media room and game area.

Like what you see? Try our exclusive how-to projects (sliding barn door and reclaimed wood desk) from this episode and remember to tune in on Monday night to watch the full episode.

• Posted at 9:00 am on August 8, 2012

1. There have been many comments about how this house was renovated to be a vacation home, and then you look around at what has been done and it is hard to imagine not living here full time. It is such a beautiful home, so fully restored. Certainly there are short comings, but most of them can be corrected over time. This is the place where you would have to live in it for awhile to see if it will grow on you and then, gradually fix things in a priority order. I guess that it is one of those things that says "some assembly required" on the box. The basics of a livable, structurally sound house are there. Unlike many houses that you buy, you don't have to worry about buyer beware. :D You could add a propane space heater, like they use in outside eating places, to the deck to stretch the warm season. You could add one or two bug zappers of the propane variety to reduce the need for a screened in deck. The first project would probably be the car park/shelter. I don't know if you need a permit to put a driveway access in. Some states/towns require that. This was a full time residence and is still readily able to be. I live in Florida, but still have an all wheel drive car, tire chains for my pick up truck, and a snow shovel from living in PA, so I am ready. I am retired so I only have to go out when I need essentials and I can pick and choose the days that I go, which makes life less of a hassle. If it is a crummy day, bundle up with a book and some nice music and watch the weather in comfort.

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 7:50 am
    • Like any house you buy, it's not going to perfectly suit you. No house can suit everyone so I agree you just have to move in, let the dust settle and make what ever changes you need to personalize the space. A garage would definately be my first priority. Parking across the street just is not practical in the winter or on a rainy day. But for starters it's better than no parking at all. Good luck to everyone. I hope the lucky winner is able to live there year round to enjoy all the seasons and beauty Maine has to offer.

Myra on September 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    • Agreed, but for an expensive small house in rural Maine I would expect most things to be right and not have to invest another small fortune just to make it practical to live there. Selling quickly for much less tha would be what most people would want to do and not to be hit with a tax bill based on a value that's much too high for the area. There's plenty of rich people that would like a vacation home in this area and could brag that it's a one of a kind Blog Cabin.

Tanhorse on September 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm
    • I am not sure how high the demand really is. We had some conversations about real estate in the area and it seems like places are on the market for long periods of time and sell well below market value. It seems that the BC project has generated interest in the area and houses that had been taken off the market were being put back on.

YankeeNuke on September 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm
    • The Blog Cabins that have been sold (all but 2011) have sold within a few months – most within a few weeks – but all sold for below the ARV. Demand for these homes is higher than the average because they are 'special'. The same goes for the DH, GH and OA. The knowledge that the winners almost always want to sell is also a huge factor too. The normal market forces are somewht skewed.

Anniesown on September 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm
    • Then after you sell you have all of the taxes and fees to pay. I still want to win and deal with the issues. LOL________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: Anniesown replied to your comment on Mega Dens Focuses on Media >

YankeeNuke on September 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm
    • I think I'd rather pay tax on the real value than the ARV, especially with this house that seems overvalued for the area. At least we would have the cash in the bank and not be trying to get loans to beat the tax deadline. :) No matter what the winner does they will be truly blessed.

Anniesown on September 10, 2012 at 1:13 am
    • I know this seems stupid . . but what is ARV ?

karen on September 10, 2012 at 11:17 am
    • Approximate Retail Value. It's the value DIY gives to the house and the figure that will be used to calculate your Federal income tax (at 35% – more if your home state also has income tax). DIY will give you a 1099 tax form with the house. This will assert the ARV and is what you will pay tax on. However, there are ways of lowering the tax bill as the IRS can only collect on what is determined as the Fair Market Value (FMV) of the prize. This doesn't have to be anything like the ARV but you must be able to support the FMV you give to calculate tax. BUT be warned the figure submitted MUST be a FMV, not a ridiculously low price you think up; the price you 'sell' the house to a relative or friend or that you claim to donate to a charity. This link may help. http://contests.about.com/od/taxesfinances/ht/FMV

Sally on September 10, 2012 at 7:54 pm
    • Thank you Sally! Are you a CPA, CFP, Enrolled Agent, Attorney or…? You have been a great help to the Blog! I would add that getting 2-3 local appraisals on real estate plus valuations by antiques & consignment shops on the contents would be wise also. The only caveat is, don't wait on doing this–do it right after winning. DIY has valued the furnishings at $60,000. Good luck to all! Especially Bloggies!!! B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm
    • I have "built" several houses with different floor plans and always seem to discover after living in them that some things are always not right or missing, so I guess that we agree on this point.

YankeeNuke on September 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  2. Sat and re-watched four episodes back to back on my DVR last night with the hubby!!! Also enjoyed some pictures that someone so kindly posted!!!! Like everyone else, me and the hubby dream of living in this beautiful home and making it our own!!!! :) We will be in Maine at the end of the month for an anniversary trip and will be driving right through Waldoboro!!!! Can't wait to see the leaves changing and feel some cooler breezes off the water!

Lorrie on September 6, 2012 at 9:37 am
  3. I agree. The BC is really something special, and so is the barn and the land that both are on. Lots of history there. If I were to win the plan would be to move there, and would begin to collect stories from people that knew the history of the Robie Family and their farm. I would love to be able to "work in the dirt" and grow my own vegetables and fruit for canning. The house is just perfect for my families needs, and it is complete. Nothing more to do but move in.

bythebaydreamer on September 6, 2012 at 10:26 am
  4. Maine; The way life should be…..day dreaming of the BC. Good Luck to everyone!!!

bythebaydreamer on September 6, 2012 at 10:30 am
    • Thank you, BytheBayDreamer! I wish you good luck too!^_^;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm
  5. Does anyone know if the land is being rented/mowed for feed this fall as was done by previous owners?

idplacemaker on September 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm
    • Doesn't look like based on how they were mowing. Probably could set up a share crop deal with one of the local farmers.

YankeeNuke on September 7, 2012 at 4:59 am
    • It would be income, plus I would want the land cleared to maintain the view. Every bit counts! Thanks for your reply

idplacemaker on September 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm
  6. Kitty, gotta' go on school run, will be back soon; I think I have an idea or 2 about that pesky shower curtain dilemma !! I'll run it by you & see what you think !! Oh, & minitoni, I WILL find time to e-mail you !!!

gremol on September 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm
    • Looking forward to hearing your idea, Gremol! Only thing i can see is a custom glass door. :S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I left a couple of comments for you on page1, under my post about the storage closet on second floor…I think I solved the mystery of the missing storage closet…Did you get a chance to
      read it??

Jennie/Florida on September 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm
    • I found it, thanks for telling me!!! I made notes there too. I'm really peeved about any wasted space anywhere! What a shame if the closet was, in fact closed off… Hope not.:$ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm
  7. Mary please could you show us a little more ???????

pixelecho69 on September 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm
  8. hi there it me wanda i just love the house and love to be the winner i enter for the hgtv and didn't win but i hoe from diy network to win i live in a moblie home and i don't feel safe in it but a home yes i will be safe in it thank you for been on my facebook too need new friends too thank you wanda of berry alabama

wanda box on September 9, 2012 at 9:08 am
    • what do you mean?

wanda box on September 9, 2012 at 9:08 am
  9. I was wondering if anyone knows how long of a period of time the winner will have to deceide to keep the house or turn in down? I was wondering if the time would limit the opportunity to see a CPA , tax department in the county or confirm with the conservatory where the land was donated to see about the fair market value that was deducted from this property.

karen on September 10, 2012 at 11:09 am
    • Five days, but you don't need to check all that at once. The donated land isn't included in the prize so it's competely irrelevant to the issue.

Sally on September 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm
    • Thanks Sally for the two answers you gave me. I was thinking that if the land was donated after the sweepstakes were announced , like how the acres were diminshed, it could affect the value of the property. The other website you gave me was a real eye opener and I don't have a clue about Maine taxes!

karen on September 11, 2012 at 9:56 am
    • You're welcome. The only Maine tax the winner needs to be concerned about initially is the property tax. Guesses are that it will be $6-8000 pa (after any deductions) based on the house ARV (which we have to use as the assessed value until it is assessed) and the tax levied on similar sized houses in the area that have been assessed. That's quite steep for a rural area with not so many employment prospects.

However, there's another potential tax issuethe winner should be aware of if they decide to keep the house and move there from a home state that has no income tax. They may have to pay income tax on the value of the house to the State of Maine if they take up residence before the end of the 2012 tax year. That will need to be properly researched by the winner or (much better) their tax advisor.:)

Sally on September 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm
  10. The lay out of this house is so perfect if you have mature children, and the views throughout the house are just breathtaking! Definitely worth a move to Maine '-)

SusanG1956 on September 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm