Aug 30

Mega Dens Focuses on Media

In anticipation of the Mega Dens episode of Blog Cabin 2012, I am proud to present an exclusive vlog, which stars show host Chris Grundy and Anitra Mecadon. Learn more about this duo’s inspiration for furnishings and DIY treatments in the second-floor media room and game area.

Like what you see? Try our exclusive how-to projects (sliding barn door and reclaimed wood desk) from this episode and remember to tune in on Monday night to watch the full episode.

• Posted at 9:00 am on August 8, 2012

1. ahh! i am in love, heart panting fast ,hands sweating, nervous ,why am i in love? everytime i see bc wheather on tv or on interent i fall in love with it ,what do i love most everything it is so unique so awsome so homey i to pray for this home its what we need and i hate to say i want because i know we all feel the same way -most- i will accept home barn land anything else as is good luck to all of us!

bogeyandbacall on September 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm
  2. I just want to thank all of you dedicated bloggers!! I have been keeping up with all of your thoughts, ideas and research and look forward to reading your messages. Some of you have become pretty close with one another…..I think that's great! I can understand everyone's points and views of this beautiful home. I think some of you should be designers of your own, the creativity is amazing. I am sure DIY Network appreciates your thoughts too!

LisaUli on September 4, 2012 at 9:04 pm
    • That's very sweet of you, LisaUli! Yes, we hold our arms open to all who want to become part of our regular Blogger Family–and that includes you too! :D Many of us have become close over time, for we care for one another beyond DIY matters. I guess you've already noticed this. I really think that the DIY Blog has a more personal side to it because we also like to learn and do projects… We don't always agree, but the core of us are respectful and we try very hard to work together and with DIY to share concepts and ideas as they come, and our brainstorming grows into what ultimately becomes bits and pieces picked up by the DIY team. All the best, Lisa! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm
  3. MORE FULL EPISODES PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE !!! IS ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION?

Myra on September 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm
    • Hi Myra….Matt and Yard Crashers Special at the BC, will be on next Monday Night on DIY at 9 or 9:30pm…Check your listings….

Jennie/Florida on September 4, 2012 at 11:32 pm
    • We don't get the DIY network. I was hoping they would make more full episodes available online like the first two. They got those up and available so quickly.

Myra on September 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm
    • I agree, Myra–am waiting to have those episodes up, although our provider does have DIY channel .
      Others I live with watch other programs–so I do not always catch every show.

LLColeman on September 13, 2012 at 3:27 am
    • Bummer! But understandable–each to her/his own tastes, huh?!:|:)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 25, 2012 at 2:27 pm
  4. Hello Fellow cabin lovers,

I just posted a few photo's of the water front behnd BC 2012 and wanted to share them with you. You'll notice the tide was out that day and revealed mud flats that are perfect for clam digging. :)

Day Dreamer on September 5, 2012 at 8:44 am
    • Thank you Ken for sharing your Photos with us….Great places for day dreaming! I can see why you're so taken with Maine. I can just imagine how beautiful the water's edge must be at the BC, when the autumn leaves have fallen or a big snow storm has arrived and covered the rivers' edge…Living in Florida is nice, but I love the 4 seasons and dream of places like that…Fall is my favorite time of the year…We don't have
      "fall" like the northern states, just cooler weather, but have spent many fall seasons in North Carolina where their is beauty everywhere in the mountains and just love it!! Boy are we dreamers or what??? Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on September 5, 2012 at 10:35 am
    • You are most welcome. It was truly my pleasure to share this magical place with you. It's always nice to meet a kindred spirit who appreciates all the beauty that Maine has to offer. I wish you all the best.
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm
    • Those were wonderful shots and they filled an emptiness within me as I already am so homesick for Maine! Thank you, Ken! I posted to my Facebook from your Instagram, but will say it here as well. the photo of the partial float or former dock–IF that is attached somehow in part to the BC land, means that it was at some point approved and would mean that there may be a grandfather clause regarding a small float or dock, even though the water is shallow. Just thinking on it…. On another note, I think you said you are presently in Boston? I'm very deeply into that area as well as Maine, because most of my other forebears came and colonized there, very early on at Cape Cod, Sandwich, Charlestown, Essex, Hingham, Plymouth, Salem and other such early colonies. When people I meet mention they are from Maine (used to be part of Massachusetts) My internal radar comes out and goes on alert! :) Love digging roots–one finds interesting stories, skeletons, and great lore–I've already found my own share, HAHA! Thanks again, Ken. If you are on Facebook, I would be honored if you would become a friend. at Kitty.Charles.Zaugg. ;) B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm
    • Kitty,

You've been such a leader through our BC journey and I can't thank you enough for all you've shared with us. II've enjoyed every blog you've posted. We share the same passion for this cabin and the beautiful state it's in. It would be my honor to be your facebook friend. May all your hopes and dreams come true.

Day Dreamer on September 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm
    • What special thoughts, Ken! Thank you–you are kind-hearted and flatter this great grandmother! HAHA! I have also enjoyed this journey so very much, having made some cool friends along the way–I so hope and pray that a Bloggie wins!!! You have brought both hope and delight to this blog, for you have been much of the glue that has held us together with your photography along with Home_Girl's, when bloggers were about to turn and run, due to long periods of complete silence from DIY. I'll always believe the visual feasts were far better than the wild and crazy stories which some of us fabricated earlier this year and around Christmas. Well, Mel and I did have fun writing them…. Perhaps your dream of winning the Blog Cabin will succeed and if it does, no one will be happier for you than I!!! Good Luck Friend!!!;)B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    • My eyes swell with tears my friend. It warms my heart to know there are still kind souls like you in the world. Your good wishes me more to me than you will ever know. <3

Day Dreamer on September 6, 2012 at 7:46 am
    • Ken thanks for sharing your pictures, is that bench on the BC land? If so, that would make a nice place to sit and watch the waves.^_^

home_girl on September 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm
    • Hi home_girl,
      The bench in the photo is under a tree at the end of the BC property. Some lucky winner has the perfect place for mid day meditations or summer picincs. :)

Day Dreamer on September 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm
    • Thank you for those wonderful pics. They are a joy.

Hawkweed on September 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm
    • Hawkweed,
      I'm so happy you enjoyed them. I'm feeling a little melancholy today. Our journey will soon be over and I''ll miss blogging with all of you. I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for making the journey a special one. Even though it was a virtual journey it has sparked something in me. I want to move back to my beloved state of Maine and one way or another I am going to make it happen. Be well my friends and may all your hopes and dreams come true.
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 6, 2012 at 8:08 am
    • Who ever wins the BC should start a blog about living there. There would be plenty of stuff to blog about and everyone could see the changes (personalization) that takes place. That's what I would do if I won, continue to share the experience…..

Myra on September 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm
    • Greetings Myra & Fellow Bloggers! Interesting idea Myra! – -The winner would have to have a tough heart for some criticism that may come with bloggers posting their opinions. However, another idea would be to just post some photos capturing the winner actually visiting the Cabin for the first time or even living there. Every day stuff like chores, to entertaining friends, family, pets, as well as any changes or additions they made to the Cabin. I do find that intriguing! : ) Truly, Lilly

Lilly on September 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm
    • Doesn't the winner have any right to some privacy?

Ally on September 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    • Day Dreamer Thank you. I have been googling the land and squinting my eyes to imagine what it looks like back there. Nicer than I imagined.
      Can you swim in the water? is it deep? I didn't notice any furniture by the water. Why is that?

Karen on September 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm
    • Probably because it's a long way from the house to the water and the previous owners were farmers not people of leisure. ;)

Anniesown on September 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm
    • Hi Karen,
      You can swim in the water, but it takes a real mainer to dive in before August. It tends to be mightly cold before then. I didn't see any furniture other than bench under a big old oak tree. I'm guessing there may be restriction on the property that may prohit any building.
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    • Can you really dig for clams?

Karen on September 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm
    • All you need it a permit, a good pair of wellie's, a clam digger and clam basket. :)

Day Dreamer on September 6, 2012 at 7:47 am
    • Ken, I loved the pictures of the back of the BC. I can almost feel the breeze off the water. I love the Maine coast. There is no place I have been that can compare. Thank you so much for indulging us fellow bloggers!

bythebaydreamer on September 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm
    • Thank You Ken for sharing your Great photos of BC's water front!!
      You take lovely pics:)

Mel on September 6, 2012 at 4:38 am
    • Mel,
      It was truly me pleasure to share them with all of you. I'm so happy you enjoyed the photo's. I wish you all the best.
      Cheers!
      Ken

Day Dreamer on September 6, 2012 at 7:49 am
    • Safe journey home. You will get back to Maine!

bythebaydreamer on September 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    • Ken, your camera shows so much of why you love Maine, so much beauty there. I also loved the photos of Olson Museum, and the Wyeth property…I love his paintings so much . Thank you for being so thoughtful in sharing images of a beautiful area with the bloggers.

I am astounded that DIY staff has not shared any photos of the shoreline… I have been trying to imagine it for almost a year since the location was announced on this blog.

Many of us continue on the blog, regardless of where the next site is located…we will know where the next one will be by October, if DIY follows the pattern they have set in the past.

LLColeman on September 8, 2012 at 4:21 am
    • I'm heading to Maine in 2 weeks. Is it possible to go see the cabin?
      Last year I got tickets to see the home in Stowe, VT so I was wondering if the public can go see the cabin. Does anyone know?

pattyb552000 on September 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    • hi pattyb–to date, the tours have been held in some recent HGTV Dream Homes and Green Homes, as you experienced last year in VT ( lucky you ! ). However, this is a DIY network project, and like the HGTV U O, there have not been tours held in either the U O nor the DIY Blog Cabin that I know of.

LLColeman on September 8, 2012 at 4:08 am
    • Thanks for responding. That's a shame since it could be a nice fundraiser for the local Chamber of Commerce. Plus, it would bring tourists to the area so the local merchants would benefit as well. How about the exact location… is that known? Maybe I could at least drive by it since I'm going to be right in that area. In any event, thanks for replying to my question.

pattyb552000 on September 8, 2012 at 10:17 am
  5. Hi All !! Watched the Blog Cabin shows; this house is starting to grow on me more & more!! Hubby came in & was watching and said it was nice, but wanted to know why they would pick that 'green' color for the house exterior !! I just had to laugh !!! BTW, today is his birthday – 67 years young !!!

gremol on September 5, 2012 at 9:06 am
    • Happy Birthday Gremol's Hubby! I keep asking that same question about the green. When my Hubby and I were up there this Summer, we almost drove by, because the BC is very close to the road and with all the colorful flowers faded, the house just blended in with the grass–we literally had to back up!!! :) It IS a charmer though. Good luck with the sweepstakes! ;) ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    • Happy 67th Birthday to you Mr Hubby and wish you many, many more!!!! Gremol, how many people has asked that question about the siding color for this BC?? I really don't know how that color could have won! Sure wasn't my votes..Kitty said when she and Gary was driving to the BC, they almost missed it because it blended in with the surroundings..In the fall, it will stand out with all the fall colors, maybe!
      I don't know if you know it or not, but Issac hasn't left, but in fact is returning back into the Gulf of Mexico and they are saying it will build up strength again and cross over Florida again into the Atlantic ocean..
      Hopefully we won't get high winds and torrential downpours like the first time and hope it moves fast,
      out to sea…Here we go again!!!! Take care!

Jennie/Florida on September 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm
    • Oh no, Jennie! I haven't seen the weather and had not heard that!! You haven't finished drying out in Florida!:S<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm
    • Thanks Jen !! Blue or yellow, even white, would have been a much better exterior color !! I sure didn't vote 'green' !! I had not heard about Isaac, it didn't do a lot here except put more rain on top of the still lingering effects of Debbie !! We have not had a dry day for over 2 months !! We had about 1 to 2 inches just yesterday !! Today has been the sunniest day in quite a while, so far no rain !!(SHHH)!! But very hot & humid. Oh well, this is Florida the Sunshine State !! ;0 It's suppose to be drier & cooler this weekend !! I'd love to walk outside without my glasses fogging up ! Anyone know the 411 on humidity in Waldoboro, Maine ?? This Florida gal would like to know !!

gremol on September 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    • Hi gremol, your so welcome! Did your Honey enjoy his B/D..I'm sure you made it very special for him!!! Well here we go again, we just had a bad thunderstorm with 2 to 4 inches of rain in the past 2hrs. and more to come tomorrow. I can see a lake down in my back yard just from the rain we had this afternoon!! I am so ready for "Our Fall weather" such as it is, but at least it will be dryer air and a bit cooler and no more rain for a while…or very little!
      The weatherman said we will probably feel the effects of Issac by Sunday or Monday unless he changes gears and heads in another direction…It will be another rainmaker, I'm sure! The weather has been so strange all over the US this summer..A lot of record breaking weather events…I hope it calms down soon! Everyone needs a break!!! Have a good evening!!!

Jennie/Florida on September 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm
  6. Quick question………..on the virtual tour, facing the house from front yard, anyone know what that small shed to the left is ???

gremol on September 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm
    • I think maybe you are seeing the neighbor's house off in the distance?

Hawkweed on September 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm
    • It's the neighbors house.

Myra on September 5, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    • Yes, (duh !!), I zoomed in & could tell it's a house; from my tour it looks like a small building behind a tree, a lot closer than it really is !! I didn't realize that there was a home over there !!

gremol on September 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm
  7. Love this home so much I just can't stand it!! My favorite colors and all the items I voted on …oh my goodness, I will really be sick with all the rest of you guys if I don't win this one!!

Beatrice on September 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm
    • My favorite colors are incorporated in many rooms of this great home; but, alas !!, as many others feel, that green exterior could have been a better color !!

gremol on September 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm
  8. After taking multiple tours of each room – I am amazed that something new pops up that I hadn’t seen before. Also, love these videos – Each time is a new adventure!

chewag01 on September 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm
  9. I am sort of hoping to win, but know in my brain that If I do win i will have to decline it because of the taxes. Without knowing what the real estate transfer tax is in Maine, the federal income taxes will be about 235,000. The annual property taxes will be about $8500. Way to steep for my bank account. So if I win the lottery and then win the house I will have enough to move in and fix the barn and everything else. But this is what dreams are made for. Sasquatch will not have me there to feed, groom and house him/her.

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 12:55 am
    • I am really hoping to win too. but have the same concerns about the taxes. Maybe I can charge Sasquatch room & board for the space in the barn. I'm sure I could run a few bake sales, sell my canned pickles or jams, or even hold yard sales. But I think I'll still be several dollars short. Hummmm, I'll have to think about this. In the meantime I'm just dreaming…

bythebaydreamer on September 6, 2012 at 7:43 am
    • bythebay–what a hilarious concept ! Fix up the barn to sell all your wares, and get Sasquatch to put on an apron, direct the parking, or ring up the sales ! You can charge customers $5 to have a photo taken with Bigfoot……you can do mail- order during winter and Sasquatch can shovel the snow….

LLColeman on September 13, 2012 at 3:33 am
  10. I was just listening to my HAM radio and heard some chatter about spotting a large bear like animal just beyond the property lines of some houses on Gross Neck Road, outside of Waldoboro. I wonder if our old friend has been up that way foraging in their little victory gardens for food to store under the barn? He must be either getting braver or he is worried about it being a severe winter. Hope he gets enough food put away so he won't be out after the winner moves into the BC looking for their stuff. Time will tell. The beast is back….new bloggers will have to find the original series to understand.

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 3:52 am
    • I know how to put a good fright into a bear so to make it go away. Moose on the other hand scare me half to death. You never know what a moose is going to do and neither do they.=/

Hawkweed on September 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • Ah, but Hawkweed, I don't believe that YankeeNuke is really referring to a bear–he is still on a Sasquatch hunt and won't stop till he either has proof positive of its existence–or, preferably, is able to subdue one and train it for a pet, right, Frank?xD:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm
    • You are onto my scheme. I actually want to scare away people so they won't enter then one of us long time bloggers will have a better chance of winning.:D:$

YankeeNuke on September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm
    • Why thank you, Frank! :D I suppose Sasquatch could live in the luxury doggie palace? But if what Hawkweed says goes for lots of the "later set" of Bloggers, they might need us to recruit some moose….maybe you can enlist your Sasquatch to get with the program?;)B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on September 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm
    • Sasquatch the trained watchdog to keep the moose away, great idea.

YankeeNuke on September 7, 2012 at 4:58 am